Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma State University

Blog Entries

Default Re: Oklahoma State University

I'd think OSU would have a pretty good chance to land a regional which would be cool for them since its the last year in APR Stadium.

Blog Entries

I know a lot of people don't like to watch golf, but yesterday's OSU v Texas match in the NCAA semifinals was pretty amazing to watch. Really a heart breaker for the Pokes. Missed a short putt in extra holes to allow Texas to advance to play Stanford in the finals this morning.

OU had lost to Texas in the Quarters in the early session.

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    I know a lot of people don't like to watch golf, but yesterday's OSU v Texas match in the NCAA semifinals was pretty amazing to watch. Really a heart breaker for the Pokes. Missed a short putt in extra holes to allow Texas to advance to play Stanford in the finals this morning.

OU had lost to Texas in the Quarters in the early session.
    This is now the third national championship since 2009 that OSU has been screwed out of because of the change in format. You don't decide who is best in match play. When a team wins the stroke play portion by 31, it's clear who is best. But, match play is more exciting for tv and that's why they switched it. Oddly enough, the biggest supporter and driver of the new format was Mike Holder.

Blog Entries

^They definitely got their drama yesterday.

I've heard Boynton is getting very close to landing Cade Cunningham, who would very likely be the best player at OSU since Marcus Smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
    This is now the third national championship since 2009 that OSU has been screwed out of because of the change in format. You don't decide who is best in match play. When a team wins the stroke play portion by 31, it's clear who is best. But, match play is more exciting for tv and that's why they switched it. Oddly enough, the biggest supporter and driver of the new format was Mike Holder.
    they werent screwed out of anything

and who knows how stoke play would have worked out if the actual preasure of a championship was on the line instead of just needing to be in the top 8 .... because clearly OSU choked when the championship preasure was on the line

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post

and who knows how stoke play would have worked out if the actual preasure of a championship was on the line instead of just needing to be in the top 8 .... because clearly OSU choked when the championship preasure was on the line
    Clearly every team plays just well enough to get in the top 8, probably even purposefully leave a few shots out there during stroke play, knowing that they will turn it on during match play.

Haha, can always count on boulder for a hot take, especially if it involves a dig at OSU.

That said, OSU choked when it mattered. Congrats to Stanford. And congrats to OSU on a stellar year and obliterating the field in stroke play and claiming the individual title.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Clearly every team plays just well enough to get in the top 8, probably even purposefully leave a few shots out there during stroke play, knowing that they will turn it on during match play.

Haha, can always count on boulder for a hot take, especially if it involves a dig at OSU.

That said, OSU choked when it mattered. Congrats to Stanford. And congrats to OSU on a stellar year and obliterating the field in stroke play and claiming the individual title.
    no most teams struggle to make the match play ...

but not this osu team they are great and had bascily 0 pressure to make the top 8 because they are that good ... (if they had won this year they might have been the all time best team)

but that also meant they had 0 pressure in the stroke play ... some thing that clearly changes in the match play when the team title is on the line

Blog Entries

For OSU not to win this year is a big upset any way you cut it. They have two of the top 4 Amateurs in the world. With Hammer beating Wolff and Bauchou losing (ranked 19th) they allowed Texas to slip in. Granted that Hammer is #5, but still, OSU was LOADED and a prohibitive favorite.

I'll look forward to watching Hovland progress.

You clearly know nothing about golf.

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    For OSU not to win this year is a big upset any way you cut it. They have two of the top 4 Amateurs in the world. With Hammer beating Wolff and Bauchou losing (ranked 19th) they allowed Texas to slip in. Granted that Hammer is #5, but still, OSU was LOADED and a prohibitive favorite.

I'll look forward to watching Hovland progress.
    My bet is that Wolff will make the better pro between him and Hovland.

You clearly know nothing about golf.
    clearly ... its not like i have played high level golf for the most part of the last 25+ years .... o wait .. ..

The only thing Wolff needs to work on is his play around the green and he knows that. His action to start his swing is just harder to do when you don't need to go that far back for his chipping. The guy is smart and he will be a great Pro!!!

Blog Entries

My bet is that Wolff will make the better pro between him and Hovland.
    That will be interesting to watch. Both are great players.

clearly ... its not like i have played high level golf for the most part of the last 25+ years .... o wait .. ..
    Lol, I doubt the "high level" part. But I'll humor you and go along with it. Let's say you are a scratch golfer. Do you really think OSU wouldn't have won if it was just stroke play? They won stroke play by 31.......31! That's insane. They won 6 tournaments already this year. But yeah, I'm sure you're right, they would have been too nervous if it was just stroke play.

There's a reason only one PGA Tour event is match play. Can you imagine if they were to make the Masters match play? Or the US Open. They would never do that because match play is a terrible way to determine who is best. All it takes is one person to get hot on one day. That's not choking, as you like to say. Wolff lost his match, did Wolff choke? No, he just ran into a kid who was hot. Hammer birdied 6 of his first 8 holes. You can't do anything about that. That's why the best format for determining who is best is stroke play over multiple days. It balances out someone, or some team, having one good day. The cream always rises to the top.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    I've heard Boynton is getting very close to landing Cade Cunningham, who would very likely be the best player at OSU since Marcus Smart.

That would be a huge get. Hopefully he can land Jalen Wilson too.

Lol, I doubt the "high level" part. But I'll humor you and go along with it. Let's say you are a scratch golfer. Do you really think OSU wouldn't have won if it was just stroke play? They won stroke play by 31.......31! That's insane. They won 6 tournaments already this year. But yeah, I'm sure you're right, they would have been too nervous if it was just stroke play.

There's a reason only one PGA Tour event is match play. Can you imagine if they were to make the Masters match play? Or the US Open. They would never do that because match play is a terrible way to determine who is best. All it takes is one person to get hot on one day. That's not choking, as you like to say. Wolff lost his match, did Wolff choke? No, he just ran into a kid who was hot. Hammer birdied 6 of his first 8 holes. You can't do anything about that. That's why the best format for determining who is best is stroke play over multiple days. It balances out someone, or some team, having one good day. The cream always rises to the top.
    missing a 3 footer under preasure is choking ..

and yes i think it is extrmemly likely that Osu would have won if it was only match play .(as i said if they had won the whole thing they would likely have been the best team of all time)

. .but it is not a sure thing . .

Blog Entries

PGA tour is individual and ncaa is team. That’s why match is okay. To say stroke is the best measure is like adding up all the points of the wrestlers and the total high score wins, instead of player against player scoring. Match play keeps from over-rewarding a team for having one or two superior players but not overall depth.

Kinda hard to complain to much given it was mike holder who lead the charge to change the format.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    PGA tour is individual and ncaa is team. That’s why match is okay. To say stroke is the best measure is like adding up all the points of the wrestlers and the total high score wins, instead of player against player scoring. Match play keeps from over-rewarding a team for having one or two superior players but not overall depth.
    No, this is just completely wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Kinda hard to complain to much given it was mike holder who lead the charge to change the format.

Because Holder never makes mistakes right?

Blog Entries

What is wrong? Why?

Blog Entries

Apparently Texas had better balance and a better TEAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    What is wrong? Why?
    Because match play allows lesser players and teams to compete with better players and teams. It helps even the playing field. If a team has five good players goes against a team that only has three, match play helps the team with three since you only need three good rounds to win.

Also better players tend to be more consistent and don’t make big mistakes as often resulting in double or triple bogeys. Say the better player makes par and the worse makes a double. In stroke play he’d be up 2 whereas in match he’s only up 1.

This is why four rounds of stroke play is how you should decide who is best. It helps even out if one team gets hot on one day. There’s a reason OSU won stroke play by 31.

As Lafferty says, match play does not always find the best team. It can be determined by 1 or 2 players who got hot or faced a less than hot team or players at the right time. Match play is an equalizer, helps level the field much more than stroke play. Otherwise, you would have seen more than 1 team who has won stroke play go on to win match play part in the 15 or more years they have had match play. Its also possible in match play to shoot a worse score than your opponent but still beat them.

Thread Information