Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Gazette and OKCTalk.com announce merger

Default Re: Oklahoma Gazette and OKCTalk.com announce merger

Quote Originally Posted by LordGerald View Post
    I was the receptionist at the OKG in 1991. We used to get calls every day from someone opening up a restaurant, or a barber shop, wanting to know when a reporter was going to call them to do "a story." EVERY SINGLE DAY.
    We also get people showing up at our offices to hand us articles they've written.

And of course we get some spectacular letters about the most random stuff you can imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    We also get people showing up at our offices to hand us articles they've written.

And of course we get some spectacular letters about the most random stuff you can imagine.
    Good times. I remember a guy wrote a story about riding the bus all day. Completely crapped on non-choice riders, and it was borderline racist. He said it was a perspective that an ordinary Gazette reader wouldn't have. I threw in in the trash in front of him and he threatened to sue me. Another guy submitted a review of The Beatles "White Album," - 23 years after its release. He was enraged that we never published it. And, it was about 5,000 words long!

Hahahaha....

EVERYONE thinks they are a writer and have some unique perspective that must be shared with the wide world.

4. Default Re: Oklahoma Gazette and OKCTalk.com announce merger

That's what chat forums are for.

Very, very proud. Oklahoma Gazette was just named Best Newspaper in Oklahoma.

Very, very proud. Oklahoma Gazette was just named Best Newspaper in Oklahoma.

Congrats!!

Hell yeah.

something to be proud of for sure!.. congrats!

Way. To. Go!

Great job, Pete and OKCG staff!

Congratulations

Congrats!!! Well deserved!

Just saw this!! From your peers no less!
    Congratulations to Pete and the team at OKG.

Hey Pete, noticed George Lang isn't on the masthead as of the current issue of the Gazette, what happened (if you can say)?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Hey Pete, noticed George Lang isn't on the masthead as of the current issue of the Gazette, what happened (if you can say)?
    Looks like he's over at The Spy FM, according to Twitter bio.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    Looks like he's over at The Spy FM, according to Twitter bio.
    Yeah, he's been there for a while, I believe, during the time he was at the Gazette. He just kind of disappeared for a couple of months from Twitter and permanently from the Gazette, oh well, hope he landed on his feet somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Yeah, he's been there for a while, I believe, during the time he was at the Gazette. He just kind of disappeared for a couple of months from Twitter and permanently from the Gazette, oh well, hope he landed on his feet somewhere.
    George Lang now on the masthead at 405 magazine, along with Greg Horton and Lillie Beth Sanger. I think local people must have bought out the previous publisher, because I thought it used to be out of Kansas City? Anyway, looks like they picked up quite a few local journalists/freelancers.

George Lang now on the masthead at 405 magazine, along with Greg Horton and Lillie Beth Sanger. I think local people must have bought out the previous publisher, because I thought it used to be out of Kansas City? Anyway, looks like they picked up quite a few local journalists/freelancers.
    Thanks, interesting, glad he landed somewhere. On a side note, wonder if 405 Magazine is going to rename themselves 405/572 Magazine?

It's owned by a guy out of Texas.

I'm so old that I remember when The Oklahoma Gazette was the "go-to place" to get insightful, non-biased, journalism on many topics, interesting Letters to the Editor, and humorous advertising. Today I only pick it up for the NY Times Crossword Puzzle and Sudoku du Jour. When one gets into a pissing contest with Steve L. of Daily Oklahoman Fame . . . well . . . I recon there ain't no winners. Print Media Wise.

21. Default Re: Oklahoma Gazette and OKCTalk.com announce merger

You really don't think stealing content and story lines without giving credit isnt a real violation of ethics?

We made the difficult decision to suspend the printing of the Gazette.

Last week, we started to have advertisers pull their ads (nothing for them to advertise) and it quickly snowballed.

We will continue to update okgazette.com and will resume publishing the hard copy when things improve.

In the meantime, we plan to keep paying our employees but obviously, these are incredibly tough times for small businesses.

So sorry to hear that Pete but completely understandable. I will miss getting my Gazette each Wednesday and doing the NY Times Crossword each week.
    I am thinking very much about all of the small businesses owners and their employees in this time. Small business is indeed the backbone of our economy.

We made the difficult decision to suspend the printing of the Gazette.

Last week, we started to have advertisers pull their ads (nothing for them to advertise) and it quickly snowballed.

We will continue to update okgazette.com and will resume publishing the hard copy when things improve.

In the meantime, we plan to keep paying our employees but obviously, these are incredibly tough times for small businesses.
    Sorry to hear Pete.

I wonder if it would be possible the city could make an exception to bidding process and allow you to help print posters/flyers related to the outbreak and post in city and private building entrances and inside? I know, less than .1% chance of that. But it seems some virus related flyers sponsored by city on things like precautions to take and what not.

Just throwing darts hate to see loss of income.

Any plans to resume publishing the hard copy, or will Oklahoma Gazette remain digital only, going forward?

Thread Information