Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Gazette and OKCTalk.com announce merger

Default Re: Oklahoma Gazette and OKCTalk.com announce merger

Next best thing to an actual burger at Hopdoddy's and a visit to the OKCMOA (with no mention at all of Baba G's Gyro Shoppe) news that Our Gracious Host just took over The Oklahoma Gazette! Hopefully, it--the Gazette--will get thicker with Real Journalism (and the ads that support it). Simple Suggestion: Please retain the NY Times Crossword. Thank You.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Out of curiosity, is there any plan to move Gazette HQ to downtown?
    I'm sure the city could front at least $1.5 million for a locally owned newspaper to relocate downtown.

Started some cross-promotion between OKCTalk and the Gazette.

Blog Entries

"where local news gets their news"

love it

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    "where local news gets their news"

love it
    Our tag line used to be "What you'll read in the paper next week" but I changed it after buying the Gazette since is a paper as well.

I’m really happy about the aquisition. It makes sense. Something that I am hoping to see is an improved web presence for The Gazette... in the past Issuu has been the only real way to read the magazine online... still surprised that it seems to be a paper first type of publication. Can’t wait to see what synergies the two sides of the business might some day provide.

^

The huge percentage of revenue is from print ads; same with the Oklahoman.

Everything the Gazette does is online as well and OKCTalk will continue to be the breaking news digital outlet.

We'll be growing the digital presence of the Gazette but that takes time. Meanwhile, OKCTalk gets close to 2 million impressions per month, which is monster online traffic.

Here is a little taste of the absolute badass work being done at the Gazette, a teaser for our upcoming Halloween cover and photo shoot which will debut on Wednesday.

This was all done by our new photographer (who is nothing short of amazing), one of our resident graphic designer/artist, local models and stylists.

All done at the Paramount Building in Film Row; Dead Center loaned some of the spooky props.

Love what you're doing with the editorials in the Gazette, Pete, especially the full red pages calling out the Joklahoman, about time someone started doing that!

I regret that I took this thread down a political path, so I deleted my comments and all those that came after.

Apologies if I instigated it with mine. Must've been some interesting posts, though, sorry I missed them.

Also meant to say I liked the new MJ column (I think it's going to be a regular one), wife reminded me I left that out...

We've added a new cannabis section to the Gazette that will feature articles and other info every week; called The High Culture (THC).

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    We've added a new cannabis section to the Gazette that will feature articles and other info every week; called The High Culture (THC).
    I've noticed that the last couple of printings. It's a good way to get the Education out there, and not just the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    I've noticed that the last couple of printings. It's a good way to get the Education out there, and not just the hype.
    Thanks.

Starting with next week's paper (hits newsstands on Wed) that section will double and will continue to grow.

Gazette won gold at this year's Oklahoma Addy Awards, for both the single ad at the top and for the entire ad series.

That qualified us for the same sort of competition at District (OK, TX, AR, LA) and just found out yesterday we once again took gold in both categories. The best Gazette had previously done in its 40+ years was a single bronze at District. District is particularly tough because you go against big competition from Dallas, Houston, Austin, etc.

Now, we move on to Nationals in June in both categories.

We are in the process of re-starting the series so you'll soon see more of these in future issues.

Robot House Creative is our advertising partner.

"Contect"?

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    "Contect"?
    That ad is just a draft that I have on my office whiteboard.

That ad is just a draft that I have on my office whiteboard.
    Oh, I thought there was a joke/reference I was missing.

Love the copy! The dry humor of “All Press. No release” reminds me of Continental’s ad work.

^

Those are awesome.

Congratulations on the awards, here's hoping Nationals goes well.

I don't know if The Gazette still does this, but they did used to publish the most ridiculous unsolicited press releases they received from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    I don't know if The Gazette still does this, but they did used to publish the most ridiculous unsolicited press releases they received from time to time.
    We don't but that's a great idea.

Or at the very least, the crazy offers of stories for us to publish (either from someone who wants us to cover them or writers trying to sell an article).

As publisher, my email is out there now and I get scads and scads of these, and some get angry when I don't respond... Which would take most my waking hours if I did that for every unsolicited message.

Way to go, Pete!

We don't but that's a great idea.

Or at the very least, the crazy offers of stories for us to publish (either from someone who wants us to cover them or writers trying to sell an article).

As publisher, my email is out there now and I get scads and scads of these, and some get angry when I don't respond... Which would take most my waking hours if I did that for every unsolicited message.
    I was the receptionist at the OKG in 1991. We used to get calls every day from someone opening up a restaurant, or a barber shop, wanting to know when a reporter was going to call them to do "a story." EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Thread Information