Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: S&B Burger Joint

Auto Alley S&B Burger Joint

A friend and I went to S&B Burger joint yesterday, at 20 NW 9th. It is freshly opened yet seems to have its act pretty much together. The burgers - I had the Lumberjack burger - were generous, nicely topped and presented and very good. There are daily specials, about a dozen beers on tap with around 80 or so offered in bottles and some really great-sounding desserts that I will try at a later date. The service was good, employees seeking input about the food and service and the owner was present, obviously taking in all the details. Give it a try, but be early because it was already packed at 11:30.

Default re: S&B Burger Joint, South Walker

Love S&B!

Went there for lunch Tuesday and not overly impressed with decor and atmosphere. Pluses - I'm allergic to beef, but you can substitute a chicken breast or veggie on any burger. The sandwich was huge and delicious. (Did the Thunderburger, I think it was called) I couldn't eat it all so left most of bun. Fries were well-seasoned but cold when brought out. Our server was young and friendly and anxious to please, but had a lot of area to cover.
    My biggest bee-atch was the music volume. I love rock and roll and have fairly eclectic taste in music, but I want to be able to hear myself yell! When I asked the server to see if he could crank it down a notch, he said "what?" and cupped his ear. The irony was lost on him.
    Probably won't go back. Iguana is better and has better atmosphere. Maybe people like that, but the loudness just spoiled it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri101 View Post
    Went there for lunch Tuesday and not overly impressed with decor and atmosphere. Pluses - I'm allergic to beef, but you can substitute a chicken breast or veggie on any burger. The sandwich was huge and delicious. (Did the Thunderburger, I think it was called) I couldn't eat it all so left most of bun. Fries were well-seasoned but cold when brought out. Our server was young and friendly and anxious to please, but had a lot of area to cover.
    My biggest bee-atch was the music volume. I love rock and roll and have fairly eclectic taste in music, but I want to be able to hear myself yell! When I asked the server to see if he could crank it down a notch, he said "what?" and cupped his ear. The irony was lost on him.
    Probably won't go back. Iguana is better and has better atmosphere. Maybe people like that, but the loudness just spoiled it for me.
    Yeah, Iguana has great burgers.

5. Default re: S&B Burger Joint, South Walker

Went last night. Walked over from the downtown Y with my wife about 7:30 p.m. - I initially thought we'd have a wait, because as we rounded Broadway onto 9th all the parking lots were packed. I guess they were all at Iguana because S&B's was only half full at most and even the patio had empty tables.

It was a great night out though, weather was good, food was good. No real complaints. I did however notice it was still a pretty long wait for our food. I had the Columbian burger and the wife had the veggie slider and we split sweet potato fries. The only disappointment with the burger was that the veggie only comes in a slider. Sure, you can get two, but $8 for the equivalent of a full size veggie burger is a bit steep.

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    yeah, iguana has great burgers.
    lol.

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    Yeah, Iguana has great burgers.
    I didn't say anything about Iguana "burgers" - I was referring to atmosphere and overall place to eat lunch near work. smh

actually they bayless burger at iguana might be the best burger in town. i'm a huge fan of s+b, but its one of those places that i think i might like in concept more than in actuality. i always want to go there, but then afterward i'm not psyched about what i just ate. i do not like the fries at all, regular or sweet potato. lately i've been having a build your own chicken slider with mushrooms, crispy onions and sharp cheddar. i really want to like the cheesesteak slider, but something about it has an odd taste....

I went to S&B's yesterday for an early St Patty's Day celebration. I'll echo some previous sentiments. Did not knock my socks off, but a decent experience nonetheless. Service was friendly but a bit slow (I'll chalk that to a new place working the kinks out). I'll try everything once, but some of the french fry concoctions they offer were just odd and did not taste good.

But it is a burger place, and the burgers were solid. I got the porker (thick beef patty and juicy bacon..Yum!) Several in my group ordered sliders, with mixed reviews. I'm not a big bloody mary fan, but was told by the people in my party that they were very good. The overall atmosphere of the place was very 9th Street...cool, laid back, urban, and a big emphasis on the outside with the garage door and large patio. Definitely fits in nicely with the synergy in that area.

Personally I loved the fact that they offered Santa Fe Brewery Company beer, which I have not been able to find in OKC. Their drink menu in general is very interesting, which is a refreshing change from most burger places, which consist of Bud Light (and PBR for the hipster crowd).

All in all, I've had better food. But the simple fact that the concept works with the burgers, beer, and surroundings, I'll keep S&B in my rotation. Although next time I'll skip the fries and stick to the more traditional menu items.

10. Default re: S&B Burger Joint, South Walker

I saw a disturbing pic on Urban Spoon earlier today.... someone's receipt from a visit to S&B's and they charge extra for standard burger ingredients like lettuce, tomato and onions. I would most likely complain if I saw that on my receipt.

Not that unusual for a place to charge extra for tomatoes but lettuce and onions???

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Not that unusual for a place to charge extra for tomatoes but lettuce and onions???
    It's very unusual. Name 1 other other place that does!!

I know that food, service and atmosphere (and location) are most important, but in today's market, you must have your internet technology down. When I saw this post, I went online to check out their website, and it was last updated in NOV, with no mention of their new store. For some reason, I always feel that if a company can't be bothered to keep their website up to date, they are probably lacking in attention to detail in other areas. I may give them a try when I get home next week, but will probably push it to the bottom of my list.

Restaurant business is so tough. Just look at that this thread on how many different things that get people upset

Love S&B! Just thought I'd throw that out there again...

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Restaurant business is so tough. Just look at that this thread on how many different things that get people upset
    I think so many businesses fail to look at the big picture when formulating their business model. In order to compete for a limited amount of discretionary dollars, you have to please the customer enough so he/she will return. That can often be done by becoming your own customer (undercover boss) or, even easier, look at forums such as this, yelp, urban spoon, etc and learn from them.

If your target demographic is not 50+ year old business women, it doesn't make me upset. I'll just take my business elsewhere.
    That is not only for the restaurant business - that's for any business where the customers have choices.

Who owns the business and building they're in?

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    Most fast food places charge extra for stuff if it doesn't come as part of a particular sandwich (bacon, cheese, tomatoes, sour cream). Wendy's was this way for decades (but read recently they don't do it). Order a McDonald's Quarter Pounder with tomatoes and you get charged. Order a chicken sandwich with cheese and you get charged. Ask for extra of some items (like cheese) that already come on an item and you will be charged. Taco Bell charges you extra for "deluxe" which usually just means a few pieces of diced tomatoes and sour cream. Arbys. Coits. Chick-fil-a. Name places that dont charge extra for things that cost extra (unless its a fast casual or sit-down place their prices are already inflated to include the "extras"). Some places charge, some dont but it isnt that uncommon for those that do.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    Who owns the business and building they're in?
    Steve Mason owns the property. Business is owned by the guys that own the other location on N. May.

Most fast food places charge extra for stuff if it doesn't come as part of a particular sandwich (bacon, cheese, tomatoes, sour cream). Wendy's was this way for decades (but read recently they don't do it). Order a McDonald's Quarter Pounder with tomatoes and you get charged. Order a chicken sandwich with cheese and you get charged. Ask for extra of some items (like cheese) that already come on an item and you will be charged. Taco Bell charges you extra for "deluxe" which usually just means a few pieces of diced tomatoes and sour cream. Arbys. Coits. Chick-fil-a. Name places that dont charge extra for things that cost extra (unless its a fast casual or sit-down place their prices are already inflated to include the "extras"). Some places charge, some dont but it isnt that uncommon for those that do.
    Now your changing your tune to meet the facts that weren't there to begin with, Oh well.

21. Default re: S&B Burger Joint, South Walker

Honestly, at S&B, I trust them to make the burger the way it should be made. If I order The Frenchman, I don't want tomatoes on it, or lettuce. It's made the way it should be. If I want a customized burger, then I would just choose the build your own option.
    Still corrupting young minds

22. Default re: S&B Burger Joint, South Walker

Quote Originally Posted by ThomPaine View Post
    I know that food, service and atmosphere (and location) are most important, but in today's market, you must have your internet technology down. When I saw this post, I went online to check out their website, and it was last updated in NOV, with no mention of their new store. For some reason, I always feel that if a company can't be bothered to keep their website up to date, they are probably lacking in attention to detail in other areas. I may give them a try when I get home next week, but will probably push it to the bottom of my list.
    I just checked out their website, and I can at least say the menu is updated to the current menu for the original location. Honestly, I think it's a little silly to not go to a place because they haven't updated their website that day. Not everyone operates that way. I've never heard anyone say, "Oh, well, I won't go to Eischen's because they don't have a website." If the menu is up to date, that's really all I need!
    Still corrupting young minds

Is reading comprehension a problem for you?
    So I listed several places and gave several examples of things that places charge extra for....

Now your changing your tune to meet the facts that weren't there to begin with, Oh well.
    So you are wrong once again...Oh well

Is reading comprehension a problem for you?

So I listed several places and gave several examples of things that places charge extra for....

So you are wrong once again...Oh well
    Wrong, as usual, we were talking about tomatoes on a hamburger, you go on and on about bacon, cheese, sour cream. Talk about being unable to comprehend what you read.

you guys are getting into a heated argument about which toppings are typically included for free at eating establishments. -M

Thread Information