Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cajun Corner

1. Default Re: Cajun Corner

Really excited for this one, myself and a few coworkers go to the council location about once a week and they've gotten to know us by name. Super friendly and great food, I hope this location is just as successful if not more so than the council location.

Default Re: Cajun Corner

I too love their food and am excited to have a location much closer.

Plus, will be much more of a bar scene, especially later at night.

Yay, someplace to go on Tower show night besides Scottie's (where we've had about everything on the menu and their quality has fallen off quite a bit from when they opened). Been waiting for some *good* Cajun food for a while...

I love construction where the beams are exposed, ductwork is visible etc. but in this case it actually looks unfinished

This layout is pretty similar to Guyutes. Did they have the same pushback from HH that Guyutes did? I don't remember hearing anything.

Does anyone know how late the kitchen will be open? If they're going to keep it open until 11 p.m. or Midnight on Fridays and Saturdays, I might find myself here fairly often...

7. Default Re: Cajun Corner

Went last night and it was pretty busy. The parking is pretty awful considering there is only one way in and out. I can see it becoming a problem. Food was great though. Tried the basics to start, Red Beans and Rice, Fried Okra and Hushpuppies. Large portions for not that much money. I think this place will do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Yay, someplace to go on Tower show night besides Scottie's (where we've had about everything on the menu and their quality has fallen off quite a bit from when they opened). Been waiting for some *good* Cajun food for a while...
    And I'm gonna keep on waiting... Sign on the wall says "Authentic Okie Cajun" - whyyyyyyy Okie? Anyway, crawfish on the po'boy was tasteless, fried catfish was muddy-tasting and the cornmeal breading was kind of dry and wasn't quite browned enough, hushpuppies were too salty, small and overdone, fried okra looked and tasted like it came from a 50 lb bag off a Sysco truck, gumbo was so light, they needed to keep stirring the roux for quite a bit longer (but didn't suck, that's the highest compliment I can give them, sadly), fried oyster was OK, and my wife thought the seafood eggrolls were good (didn't taste them so I can't comment). So many 5 star reviews on Yelp, pretty amazing, guess they think it's good, but seems like a lot of folks don't know what real Cajun food is supposed to taste like.

Hours on the door said until 11 PM and Fri-Sat until 2 AM.

Had lunch there today and really enjoyed my meal and the space.

It's really a good mix of hang-out spot and restaurant. They were pretty busy at lunch and when the weather is nice, that upstairs deck is going to be a great spot. And I liked the downstairs bar as well. Looks like they had a nice assortment of local beers.

I had the catfish po'boy and thought it was excellent. I like spice, and they had Sriracha, Tobasco and Louisanna Hot Sauce. I put the latter on the sandwich and that really hit the spot.

The staff was very friendly, cheerful and helpful.

Rooftop views look great. Excited to try this place soon!

11. Default Re: Cajun Corner

seems like a lot of folks don't know what real Cajun food is supposed to taste like.
    They don't claim to be real Cajun food, they're Okie​ Cajun

just got back from trying this place myself... i ordered the etouffee and it was great. it was cream-based so a little different than what i'm used to but the flavor was awesome. it seemed to have way more seafood than brielle's. if i'm being picky, my only gripe was that the rice was a little clumpy. loved the interior space and will definitely be back.

Quote Originally Posted by zefferoni View Post
    They don't claim to be real Cajun food, they're Okie​ Cajun
    Yeah, saw that sad statement emblazoned on the wall after we ordered and sat down.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    just got back from trying this place myself... i ordered the etouffee and it was great. it was cream-based so a little different than what i'm used to but the flavor was awesome. it seemed to have way more seafood than brielle's. if i'm being picky, my only gripe was that the rice was a little clumpy. loved the interior space and will definitely be back.
    It looked good, but doesn't it have to be made with a roux to be officially called etouffee? Okie-jun fusion, I guess...

It looked good, but doesn't it have to be made with a roux to be officially called etouffee? Okie-jun fusion, I guess...
    i think cajun corner's version has a roux to help flavor and thicken the sauce... it's just the addition of cream that makes it non-traditional. if a dish tastes good and fits the spirit of what it's called, then i'm not gong to be a stickler as to whether or not it's a pure interpretation. i haven't had etouffee anywhere in okc that's better than what i make at home but i can still enjoy a restaurant's version of the dish on its own terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i think cajun corner's version has a roux to help flavor and thicken the sauce... it's just the addition of cream that makes it non-traditional. if a dish tastes good and fits the spirit of what it's called, then i'm not gong to be a stickler as to whether or not it's a pure interpretation. i haven't had etouffee anywhere in okc that's better than what i make at home but i can still enjoy a restaurant's version of the dish on its own terms.
    At least they did put "cream sauce" in the name of the dish so people would know it's not traditional etouffee, guess I just had no idea they weren't real Cajun until I saw their slogan on the wall, as I said. Another stickler-ism: Their menu board lists "Blacken" as a category and items were "blacken chicken", "blacken catfish", etc. Argh - blackenED!

Finally ate here. Great experience and the gumbo I had was amazing.

I love their food and the operators are incredibly nice.

Look forward to hanging on that rooftop deck this spring and summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I love their food and the operators are incredibly nice.

Look forward to hanging on that rooftop deck this spring and summer.
    Finally got around to trying it and throught it was pretty good, definitely will go back. Deck was closed- is there a bar or anything up there or just places to sit?

Yes, the is a bar on the rooftop.

21. Default Re: Cajun Corner

I went here last week and had Blackened Chickened Tenders with Dirty Rice. Both were outstanding. I had Cajun Fries and Cole Slaw for sides. The fries were solid, but the slaw was spicy and was the best I've ever had. I'm definitely looking forward to another trip here to try some more of the menu.

22. Default Re: Cajun Corner

Roux is just flour cooked to a peanut-butter color cooked in butter or oil. Ive also seen flour simply baked long enough to turn brown. Once the roux is made, an infinite number of things can be added - including cream.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Roux is just flour cooked to a peanut-butter color cooked in butter or oil. Ive also seen flour simply baked long enough to turn brown. Once the roux is made, an infinite number of things can be added - including cream.
    the roux in etouffee and gumbo is typically browned to that color but the flour doesn't have to be browned that much in order for it to be considered roux... the best example I can think of is alfredo sauce. one common preparation is to thicken the sauce using a roux and, for alfredo, you definitely want it to be more in the white range.

bonus points for mentioning the oven method, though... it's the most foolproof way i've found to make a dark brown roux for cajun cooking.

Cajun Corner is planning a new location on the southside, just south of Buffalo Wild Wings near SW 104th & I-44.

25. Default Re: Cajun Corner

Great news for southsiders!

Thread Information