Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cajun Corner

Uptown/23rd Cajun Corner

Cajun Corner to build modern location in Uptown

Building on the great reception of their first location and experience with 23rd Street as a district, the proprietors of the popular Cajun Corner in far Northwest Oklahoma City are set to start construction on an ambitious new site in the ever-growing Uptown district.

Brothers Rick and Nam Nguyen once owned the vacant lot at 312 NW 23rd, sold it to the Good Egg Dining Group, then last week bought it back.

The Nguyens had once envisioned a Korean barbeque restaurant on the site and decided to dust off those plans by Ken Fitzsimmons of TASK Design and tweak them slightly for a new Cajun Corner.

The proposed two-story building will feature a patio along 23rd and a large rooftop deck. There will two full bars on each floor which a large craft beer selection.

The restaurant will be counter service but with attentive table runners to make sure patrons receive the same great service that has become the hallmark of the original Cajun Corner on Council Road just south of NW Expressway.

That first restaurant has found a loyal following through updated Cajun fare, with Asian and Southern influences.

The brothers aren't new to fusion cuisine, having previously launched both Guernsey Park and Covell Park in Edmond.

The plan is to move forward quickly with the new building, which will be yet another in-fill project for the thriving Uptown / 23rd Street district.

Last month, it was announced that Coop Ale Works will be redeveloping the massive former Armory Building just east of I-235. Dunkin' Donuts and Baskin Robbins will soon open in a new structure on the northeast corner of Hudson and 23rd.

The new operations will join dozens more that have opened in the corridor in just the last few years.

Default Re: Cajun Corner

(1) I like this
    (2) This will be identical to Guyutes which was...
    (3) Designed by same architect
    (4) Googling this made me realize Ken Fitzimmons does not equal Brian Fitzimmons
    (5) TIL There are two architects named Fitzimmons doing interesting work in urban OKC.

Loyal OKCTalk readers will remember this spot was originally planned to be Daebak K, a Korean place. We had a story about this around the same time Guyutes was proposed.

But the brothers shifted gears and sold to the Good Egg Group, who considered building a small office building with ground-floor commercial.

With the success of the Cajun Corner way out on Council, the Nguyens started to look for a location in the core but grew frustrated, so turned back to Good Egg who sold the property back to them.

They liked the original design so much they decided just to give it a few changes and move forward as the new Cajun Corner.

They want to move pretty fast on this and have already submitted plans for design review.

The Gazette just did a nice review of the existing Cajun Corner:

https://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/o...nt?oid=3970146

I hope they make a killing. I enjoy their food more than I think any cajun style place in OKC.

6. Default Re: Cajun Corner

OK this is exciting as hell.

Awesome! That parking lot will be an nightmare with a single entry/exit, but luckily there is lots of places to park elsewhere in the area.

Blog Entries

When I first saw the rendering I was like OH CRAP DID THEY BUY THE GUYUTES BUILDING? Glad we're getting a similar structure instead.

(I like Guyutes)

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    When I first saw the rendering I was like OH CRAP DID THEY BUY THE GUYUTES BUILDING? Glad we're getting a similar structure instead.

(I like Guyutes)
    Biggest difference is this is new construction whereas Guyutes was a rehabilitation.

I know 23rd is lined with housing to the north and south, but has there been any thoughts of adding denser housing along the corridor? Maybe row housing or something? I know there are some multi-unit places just south behind most of the businesses, but I was thinking of buildings that were 3 to 5 stories tall.

Blog Entries

I'm sure HH and MP HOAs would protest ad nauseum at the mere notion.

Ate at the Council location today. I asked them about the new location and was told it would probably be about 12 months since they’re building ground up. They did mention an expanded menu. The one item mentioned in particular was crawfish boils.

They have their building permit and work is starting:

Drove by today and noticed that this has gone vertical.

I thought I posted this but I guess not... This is from about 10 days ago.

Also, TASK (Ken Fitzsimmons) is no longer the architect on this project. It's now Sam Gresham. Hopefully they don't change the design much.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Also, the TASK (Ken Fitzsimmons) is no longer the architect on this project. It's now Sam Gresham. Hopefully the don't change the design much.

I have seen this image before, so someone did post it at some point in time on one of the OKCTalk media outlets...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Also, TASK (Ken Fitzsimmons) is no longer the architect on this project. It's now Sam Gresham. Hopefully they don't change the design much.

you did just on the uptown 23rd thread

https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.p...54#post1076054

From yesterday:

HangryHippo Guest

The center median is looking a little rough...

Blog Entries

I had never been to their Council Road location until last night and picked up some to go. We thought it was good - especially the blackened catfish and the etouffee’. The fried oysters were better than the fried catfish in our view (my only slight criticism would be the batter seemed “heavier” than normal). We’ll definitely go back.

I would think they’d do well in the 23rd street space when it opens.

They were featured on "Discover Oklahoma" last night, we'll definitely be going to the 23rd St. location when it opens.

Anybody know if Van Nguyen (Cajun Corner) is related to Vuong Nguyen (Bonjour, then a roaming chef, now Ur/Bun and one of The Collective's kitchens - Cafe something)? They look like they could be brothers...

From today:

Is there going to be a mural or anything to liven up the eastern-facing wall? Left as-is, it's quite bland and featureless.

Cajun Corner to open Uptown location on Friday

A modern, new 2-story location for the popular Cajun Corner will open Friday at 11 AM.

The location is 312 NW 23rd just east of Tucker's Onion Burgers and near the Tower Theater in the heart of Uptown.

The $2 million structure features a patio along 23rd and a large rooftop deck. There are full bars on each floor which a large craft beer selection.

The restaurant is counter service but with attentive table runners to make sure patrons receive the same great service that has become the hallmark of the original Cajun Corner on Council Road just south of NW Expressway.

That first restaurant has found a loyal following through updated Cajun fare, with some Asian and Southern influences.

The menu and pricing are basically the same as the original location with a few extras.

Hours are Sunday through Thursday from 11 AM to 11 PM; closing on Friday and Saturday will be 2 AM.

Thread Information