Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OKC Bike Plan

Blog Entries

Default Re: OKC Bike Plan

Here’s something we could do here: https://www.bbc.com/news/av/stories-...er-for-cycling

Anybody see this picture here? https://twitter.com/cityofokc/status...53687762345984

My question: is this bike lane leading to more bike lane that just hasn't been painted yet? Or is this leading to a parking area (double white lines on the left hand side)? Looks too narrow to be parking, but I hadn't noticed the double white lines used for anything other than streetcar path parking, and hadn't seen them as part of the other bike lane pictures.

We were just talking about this upthread. From the double lines to the curb on both sides of the street on 4th are/will be protected bike lanes. They will stretch from walker to gaylord.

Blog Entries

As a local serious rider, the city could pave the bad sections of Walker, between 23rd and 50th, and from midtown south to the river, giving a nice corridor including the Paseo, 23rd, Midtown, downtown, the new park, and river trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Mott View Post
    As a local serious rider, the city could pave the bad sections of Walker, between 23rd and 50th, and from midtown south to the river, giving a nice corridor including the Paseo, 23rd, Midtown, downtown, the new park, and river trails.
    @Mott, that’s a great idea. There are several group rides every week on Walker, originating from Sauced on Paseo, Holey Rollers, Pizzeria Gusto and Big Truck Tacos. Non-cyclists may not be aware of the cycling thoroughfare that Walker has become.

I believe walker was identified as the N/S corridor for the future protected bike network. I hope they repave where needed as part of the process.

Does anybody know when the Deep Fork Creek Trial will start as part of the 2007 Go Bond (the red trail in the map)?

Looks like the Priority 2 project for the first phase of bike lanes on S Walker is close to completion. Except for the section between SW 59th St and SW 66th St, due to a storm sewer replacement project, the City has completely resurfaced Walker from I-40 all the way down to SW 89th St and re-striped everything. Walker was put on a road diet from the bridge over I-40 all the way south to SW Grand Blvd, and now consists of a separate bike lane on each side, one lane for vehicle traffic in each direction, and a center turn lane. Despite the loss of vehicle lanes, it feels like traffic flows much better now than before - and especially between Commerce and SW 29th St, the road feels safer as the remaining vehicle lane is wider than it used to be through here. The bike lanes have not yet been marked with green paint or bicycle symbols... not sure if that's coming soon or what. I also noticed one quirk... in front of each bus stop, the bike lane divider is dashed and buses are pulling over into the bike lane to pick up and drop off passengers. All that said, I'm hoping that the road diet is quickly extended down to I-240 once the storm sewer replacement project wraps up because traffic seems much calmer now and the road feels much safer.

9. Default Re: OKC Bike Plan

I drove it yesterday and felt the same way about the flow... really liked it.

I also like that it slows the speeders down. It wasn't uncommon to have someone pass me like I was sitting still, when I was doing the speed limit, from 29th to Reno.... Then again the speeders may just cut over in the bike lane.... If they don't care about the speed limit signs I doubt they care about some striping either.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    I drove it yesterday and felt the same way about the flow... really liked it.

I also like that it slows the speeders down. It wasn't uncommon to have someone pass me like I was sitting still, when I was doing the speed limit, from 29th to Reno.... Then again the speeders may just cut over in the bike lane.... If they don't care about the speed limit signs I doubt they care about some striping either.
    As Tony Carfang said at one of the MAPS4 meetings, "Paint is not protection".

11. Default Re: OKC Bike Plan

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    As Tony Carfang said at one of the MAPS4 meetings, "Paint is not protection".
    Right and shortly after I dropped this comment yesterday. I went down Walker on my way home and had two cars go flying past 2 other cars, and myself, doing the speed limit trying to beat us to the bike lanes.

Thread Information