Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OKC Bike Plan

Default OKC Bike Plan

We were discussing this in another thread so wanted to add the specifics to the OKC BikeWalk Master Plan.

Default Re: OKC Bike Plan

How does the city define "protected bike lane"? Actually protected or just lines painted on the street?

Quote Originally Posted by benjico View Post
    How does the city define "protected bike lane"? Actually protected or just lines painted on the street?
    I believe it is just painted lanes.

Which is at least better than the "sharrow" bike markings which are basically worthless.

Worthless and not swept. I live in uptown paseo just north of 23rd and there’s litter, car parts, screws, and multiple other hazards that just cause me to put my bikes in the truck and head to the boathouse district. A viable path between the massive hoods to the north and west of the CBD there is not. And mesta -HH is taking the stance of a gated community to keep people out with their stop sign campaign. I break the law about 8 times in both directions just to ride to work. This sort of ties into the bird disction, but do you really expect someone to come to a complete stop while cycling uphill on walker or Robinson while they’re already winded in 100 degree heat?

An update to our laws to adopt the Idaho stop would be great... http://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research...r-bike-for-now

Agreed. Not to be inflammatory but most every person who makes the argument for “one road. One rule.” Does not ride a bike. Even those who ride for fun and exercise like myself don’t know what it’s like to rely on a bike for transport.

Pete. I like the bike plan on post #1. Is that part of the OKC comprehensive plan by Aubrey Hammontree? I can’t pretend to say I’ve read the whole thing but I’ve skimmed it and like what I see.

Motorist get so outraged over someone on a bike not coming to a full stop yet almost no car does it either and somehow that is different.

It's just a dog whistle for people who don't like cyclists on 'their' road.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I believe it is just painted lanes.

Which is at least better than the "sharrow" bike markings which are basically worthless.
    Agreed, it's better than nothing or putting up "share the road signs". But still a long way from being truly protected. If we want our citizens to ride their bikes more and take advantage of the cycling infrastructure they need the feel of safety. A painted line (while a greatly appreciated addition) on a major street like Robinson or Santa Fe is not going to make people feel safe.

Googling images for "protected bike lanes" produces a lot of safe options and ideas: https://www.google.com/search?q=prot...=2133&bih=1047

Quote Originally Posted by benjico View Post
    Separated by a buffer at the very least as evidenced by the new lanes painted on 4th street but I seem to recall that protected lanes will also include vertical delineators.

Here is a link to the actual master plan: https://okc.gov/home/showdocument?id=11287

Page 50 and 51 show criteria that determine when Sharrows, Non-protected lanes, protected lanes, and seperate facilities are recommended. Idk if the city will follow these recommendations but Protected bike lanes are definitely on the radar

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    Here is a link to the actual master plan: https://okc.gov/home/showdocument?id=11287

Page 50 and 51 show criteria that determine when Sharrows, Non-protected lanes, protected lanes, and seperate facilities are recommended. Idk if the city will follow these recommendations but Protected bike lanes are definitely on the radar
    That's encouraging. Thanks!

Freshly painted and striped on 4th st.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	530.1 KB 
ID:	14969Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	470.1 KB 
ID:	14970Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	607.9 KB 
ID:	14971

I don't have pics, but there are re-striped bike lanes on sheridan as well, with a lane that slips behind the platform in front of the Cox center. There is also a bike ramp that was constructed at the corner of Sheridan and EK gaylord to accommodate a perpendicular track crossing.

Blog Entries

4th/Robinson (on 4th) bike lane goes BEHIND the streetcar stop, which will be interesting to see in action...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181023_175248770_HDR.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	14972

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    4th/Robinson (on 4th) bike lane goes BEHIND the streetcar stop, which will be interesting to see in action...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181023_175248770_HDR.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	14972
    This will cause problems. Instead of the bicyclist remaining on the street and waiting for the streetcar, they're routed over low-traction bumps and into a series of sharp turns with poor sight lines, into a band between the platform and sidewalk where boarding/unboarding passengers will be walking.

Where else would it go?? (also goes behind the stop on sheridan) I agree that it's not 100% ideal but it's a step in the right direction. Can we not be at least a little bit excited for these new bike lanes? sheesh lol..

Blog Entries

Wasn't complaining just pointing out

I’ve seen it done this way I’m various cities. It’s fine.

Oh yeah, more use of the green lane painting standard for bike lanes. I love it.

The bike lanes on the streets are terrific, but this "solution" is not. Instead of having cyclists momentarily wait behind the streetcar, they are routed over bumps and a painted surface, around the platform, through passengers/pedestrians, and then back onto the street, looking over their left shoulder to see if the streetcar has begun moving again, or if a car has passed it, while avoiding the track which will cause an accident. It is truly a much more hazardous alternative than waiting behind the streetcar.

Completely disagree. Co-mingling with the track with it's bike tire sized grooves near a platform, while simultaneously having to merge with cars and avoid or wait on a streetcar seems far more dangerous than a dedicated and separate bike path, clearly marked as such, that crosses (but doesn't merge with) a sidewalk twice.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    The bike lanes on the streets are terrific, but this "solution" is not. Instead of having cyclists momentarily wait behind the streetcar, they are routed over bumps and a painted surface, around the platform, through passengers/pedestrians, and then back onto the street, looking over their left shoulder to see if the streetcar has begun moving again, or if a car has passed it, while avoiding the track which will cause an accident. It is truly a much more hazardous alternative than waiting behind the streetcar.
    I guess you can wait behind it, and if someone feels like they are okay on the detour they can take that.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    I don't think the tactile domes should be there, but I think the rest of the solution is good practice. Downtown riders are typically riding at a slower pace, and will be able to foresee the pedestrian interaction that may occur. As you may have seen in Dutch cycling videos/movies, the pedestrian/urban cyclist mix is a ballet of sorts. People figure it out, and the lower speed of the cyclists enables more eye contact with all urban users.

Why would the cyclists need to wait behind a streetcar or be looking for it when passing the station? Is the bike lane not separate and between the streetcar and sidewalk after the station?

^^it is separate. They won't have to wait on the streetcar or watch for it, which was my point.

Thread Information