Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nancy’s 57th Street Lighthouse

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Northwest OKC Nancy’s 57th Street Lighthouse

I couldn’t find a thread on this place. I’m just curious if anyone knows more information on it. I used to live in this neighborhood before moving to uptown a little over 5 years ago. I guess it could be considered my local, but after I quit smoking, I had to stop going. Even still, with groovies down the street and electro lounge, which became the original S&B burger joint when Brian let Shannon drag a flat top into his bar and start frying burgers, I wouldn’t say I was a regular.

It’s totally a trip in a time machine. There’s this snaking bar that weaves through the main room. Smoky as all hell. I remember when they used to do dinner service. But I’ve only ever seen a handful of people actually eat. They are running a catering kitchen out the back entrance but I have zero clue what business it is? When I used to go they pretty much had karaoke every night of the week, wires for the tvmonitors strewn all over the place even though they had a grid ceiling to hide them in. I recall getting in trouble and threatened to be kicked out for singing curse words in an old chili peppers song. Funhouse mirrors in the bathroom lobby. A separate non-smoking area that I’ve never, ever, seen anyone sitting in.

It’s strictly a highball aka “a blank & blank” kind of bar operation. With beers and shots of course. It’s definitely an older crowd kind of place. The only thing I can recall changing in the decades I’ve gone is they decided to retop the bar with beige floor tile, it used to have a resin covered wood number with nautical rope for the edges like a seafood restaurant from the 70’s. Which maybe it was? Given the “lighthouse” name. It’s now listed on google as “nancy’s kitchen.”

Does anyone have more info? Like who owns it or the catering business? I’m just fascinated after driving by last week and seeing it still open and cars in the parking lot. It still has scars in the paint and siding from the big hail storm 8 or 9 years ago.

Default Re: Nancy’s 57th Street Lighthouse

Back when it was a big deal pretty sure Nancy's had offtrack betting.

3. Default Re: Nancy’s 57th Street Lighthouse

I remember it being a Mexican restaurant back in the late eighties and early nineties, but haven’t been in since. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I remember it being a Mexican restaurant back in the late eighties and early nineties, but haven’t been in since. Hope that helps.
    It was part of the Vince Orza group, was like a TexMex Garfield's. Cactus Jack's Cantina, maybe? All servers had to wear khakis and bolo ties.
    Meanwhile, Nancy's was hanging out over in the basement of Lakeview Towers. It was the bar for the residents and had foosball and karaoke. You had to enter through the back service entrance if you didn't live there. The catering business was because of the lack of kitchen in the basement, but you could rent out the back room for 8-12 people and get predone menu.
    Similarly to Groovies which started as the Clubhouse, in both cases the move to new digs also changed the clientele.

You aren't the only one to get kicked off stage for cursing. Not sure why they even have those songs in karaoke if you can't sing them... Weird for a bar, anyways.

I don't go there because of the smoke. It is one of the smokiest bars in OKC, in my opinion.

6. Default Re: Nancy’s 57th Street Lighthouse

Ever been to Cookies? LOL

Blog Entries

Yeah, Cookie's is Nancy's lite, or Nancy's is Cookies Pro, one or the other...

If you want to fall off your chair ask Nancy for a bloody Mary.

^^^^ lol, agreed. But the catering kitchen has puzzled me. I catered high end private parties in college, moonlighted across 4-5 kitchens to always get the best parties, and I thought I knew every game in town. I wonder if it’s someone doing business under another flag. Often times I used to see multiple operations using the same kitchen as a commissary. Which is very popular now in the food truck business.

Place used to be called The Roxbury.

11. Default Re: Nancy’s 57th Street Lighthouse

This place never ID'd me back when I frequented for a bit. So, let's just say it was my first regular bar.

I just heard on the radio that Nancy's is closing down this Friday.

Does anyone know any details?

I saw that the for lease sign has been taken down and a number of workers seem to be gutting carpet and carpentry over the last few days. Has this location been leased to a new operator? Anyone know what may be going in?

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore View Post
    I saw that the for lease sign has been taken down and a number of workers seem to be gutting carpet and carpentry over the last few days. Has this location been leased to a new operator? Anyone know what may be going in?
    There haven't been any new permits issued but I'll keep my eyes open.

A new coat of black paint is adorning the former bar. Curious to know what will be going in there.
    Last edited by Brett; 04-06-2021 at 07:30 PM. Reason: bad grammer

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    A new coat of black paint is adorning the former bar. Curious to know what will be going in there.
    Cannabis dispensary.

18. Default Re: Nancy’s 57th Street Lighthouse

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Cannabis dispensary.
    Very disappointed to hear this.

Blog Entries

That's one sort of higher use, I suppose

20. Default Re: Nancy’s 57th Street Lighthouse

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    That's one sort of higher use, I suppose
    Well played

Any update on this? Seems like progress has stalled for quite a while now. Really wish it would become something other than a dispensary.

I wouldn't count on it.

Even if this one doesn't go forward, there will be a dozen more willing to take that space.

23. Default Re: Nancy’s 57th Street Lighthouse

At what point do we overload on dispensaries? I know if at least 5 intersections that I could hit 3 or 4 standing in the intersection with a slingshot. I counted last night on the way to the OU game. There are 15 on Rockwell from NW Exp to Reno. One 4 shop strip mall has 2 in it. There are more dispensaries than gas stations.

The building has been undergoing renovation for the last couple years, off and on. Looks like it is pretty much done. Is painted black outside and has new signage saying "BLKD" with "Oklahoma City" underneath. Guessing some kinda nightclub?

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    The building has been undergoing renovation for the last couple years, off and on. Looks like it is pretty much done. Is painted black outside and has new signage saying "BLKD" with "Oklahoma City" underneath. Guessing some kinda nightclub?
    It's cannabis:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100089561529005

Thread Information