Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

I have to say, neither Bird or Lime have created any sort of clutter problem that I have seen.

They are almost always placed in well-trafficked areas but out of the way.

Used a Bird this weekend and enjoyed it as always.

Stillwater Mayor Joyce's comment on the situation:

"There is no doubt that the major problem with the scooters in Stillwater have been caused by Bird's corporate strategy and blatant refusal to operate in an organized way.

After dropping in unannounced, and causing the City and OSU to scramble to accommodate them, they have far exceeded the allowed number of scooters on the ground. Each company was permitted for 100; Bird dropped 600.

The City has been impounding any scooter that was improperly parked or otherwise not following the rules. We have been working with Lime and Bird to try to come to a reasonable agreement about the number of permits, but OSU's action will likely affect that, so we'll have to wait and see in the next couple of days.

I think there is some benefit to expanded transportation options, and we would all like to see reduction in car traffic and parking burdens around the OSU campus. Scooter and bike sharing programs can be a part of real transportation improvements, and the City wants to be a part of finding those solutions.

We didn't have to accommodate them, but tried to work with Bird as a part of these larger plans. They have not been a good partner in the process.

If you would like to have the option of this new and useful transportation option in Stillwater, I would suggesting contacting Bird and asking them to operate fairly and within the rules."

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Stillwater Mayor Joyce's comment on the situation:

"There is no doubt that the major problem with the scooters in Stillwater have been caused by Bird's corporate strategy and blatant refusal to operate in an organized way.

After dropping in unannounced, and causing the City and OSU to scramble to accommodate them, they have far exceeded the allowed number of scooters on the ground. Each company was permitted for 100; Bird dropped 600.

The City has been impounding any scooter that was improperly parked or otherwise not following the rules. We have been working with Lime and Bird to try to come to a reasonable agreement about the number of permits, but OSU's action will likely affect that, so we'll have to wait and see in the next couple of days.

I think there is some benefit to expanded transportation options, and we would all like to see reduction in car traffic and parking burdens around the OSU campus. Scooter and bike sharing programs can be a part of real transportation improvements, and the City wants to be a part of finding those solutions.

We didn't have to accommodate them, but tried to work with Bird as a part of these larger plans. They have not been a good partner in the process.

If you would like to have the option of this new and useful transportation option in Stillwater, I would suggesting contacting Bird and asking them to operate fairly and within the rules."
    this pretty much sums up my opinion of the whole situation. i think they are a great idea... i think the companies (bird specifically) are horribly run and not willing to work with a community when they actively try to

600 scooters? Is that a typo? That seems insane for a campus.

Blog Entries

was under the impression OKC only had 250-300, so 600 seems high

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    600 scooters? Is that a typo? That seems insane for a campus.
    Maybe. I don't know about campus but off campus there doesn't seem like over 600 of them around, but then I don't drive all over Stillwater. It's a large small town. My guess downtown has no more than 75-100 birds parked at one time plus a much smaller number of limes. Corners on W. 6th from downtown to the strip have birds and some limes. I seldom see them in use off campus, so won't be surprised if the scooter companies conclude Stillwater is too small of a market for them and will leave town with them by the end of the year. I don't see cooler weather helping ridership numbers.

I think the scooters are kinda cool and wouldn't mind being proven wrong, though I doubt I would be brave and crazy enough to ride one without a crash helmet. But using crash helmets aren't cool. What do you do with it when you're through riding? Keep it on your head? No! So hardly anybody ever uses a helmet. I would suggest OSU cops on bikes pull them over if scooter riders are doing something illegal or dangerous.

8. Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

I've ridden them enough in downtown OKC I'm considering just buying my own. They run about $500 for the equivalent (less for other brands). I find if I hop on one just to get to the other side of downtown it consistently costs me $1.45+ each way. And I have to first find one and then hope one is close by when I want to return.

I wouldn't mind just owning 1 or 2 for myself and others in the office to do runner type stuff and then take home to put around on the weekend in the neighborhood with the wife.

Question: Anyone know of a way to lock these things up to keep a privately owned one from being stolen? I was hoping to find one with a reinforced hole or loop that would easily allow for a bicycle locking type cable for temporary security.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Maybe. I don't know about campus but off campus there doesn't seem like over 600 of them around, but then I don't drive all over Stillwater. It's a large small town. My guess downtown has no more than 75-100 birds parked at one time plus a much smaller number of limes. Corners on W. 6th from downtown to the strip have birds and some limes. I seldom see them in use off campus, so won't be surprised if the scooter companies conclude Stillwater is too small of a market for them and will leave town with them by the end of the year. I don't see cooler weather helping ridership numbers.

I think the scooters are kinda cool and wouldn't mind being proven wrong, though I doubt I would be brave and crazy enough to ride one without a crash helmet. But using crash helmets aren't cool. What do you do with it when you're through riding? Keep it on your head? No! So hardly anybody ever uses a helmet. I would suggest OSU cops on bikes pull them over if scooter riders are doing something illegal or dangerous.
    Cool factor aside. I don't think everybody carries around a spare helmet to ride on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I've ridden them enough in downtown OKC I'm considering just buying my own. They run about $500 for the equivalent (less for other brands). I find if I hop on one just to get to the other side of downtown it consistently costs me $1.45+ each way. And I have to first find one and then hope one is close by when I want to return.

I wouldn't mind just owning 1 or 2 for myself and others in the office to do runner type stuff and then take home to put around on the weekend in the neighborhood with the wife.

Question: Anyone know of a way to lock these things up to keep a privately owned one from being stolen? I was hoping to find one with a reinforced hole or loop that would easily allow for a bicycle locking type cable for temporary security.
    Interesting that you bring this up. Both Bird and Lime are launching services soon where you can schedule rides at certain times, and "reserve" a scooter. Basically they will bring a scooter to your desired loctation and leave it locked, for only you to unlock.

Don't think a crash helmet would have helped here. From comments:

"Sitting in OR WAITING with my grandson who has three fractures to his left ankle. He will have surgery today at 1:00 pm to set the fractures. He is a freshman at OSU who had an accident on a Bird �� last Wednesday."

FROM: http://www.ocolly.com/news/osu-enact...f92827c29.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0C8FF645-4118-4676-B1D3-2E6B1D3A0B48.jpeg 
Views:	112 
Size:	267.9 KB 
ID:	14958

Might not be a typo, looks to be a lot there.

The campus wide ban of scooters doesn’t mean the end of Bird and Lime in Stillwater. Bird has responded to the announcement, putting a red zone covering the campus on the map on the application. Patrons can ride the scooters to the campus vicinity, but scooters will shut down as soon as they reach the red zone on the map.

http://www.ocolly.com/news/bye-bye-b...a9b3ad7bd.html

Joe Weaver, an OSU vice president, discussed Bird scooter ban at SGA meeting Wednesday http://www.ocolly.com/news/joe-weave...adc8cd903.html

SGA president Chase Blevins discussed the topic during his report.

Bird offered SGA money to go against the administration’s decision and permit Birds on campus.

“They offered us a dollar a day, per bird, per ride, per scooter.” Blevins said. “The estimate was $60,000.”

Blevins addressed the senate about the money Bird offered.

“The relationship with the administration is more important than the money,” Blevins said.

Blevins said he was concerned with the way that Bird handled the situation. “The way their business practice was conducted was very iffy to me and kind of unethical in a way.” Blevins said.
    That's a little eye-opening, and definitely feels a bit unethical at least to me. It also makes me laugh hard that they thought a student government organization would be able to permit the scooters if the administration said no.

In at one state, such as Alabama, they are kicked out because they are not considered street legal.
    https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/i..._CiNyXpDJwqGT0

In downtown Stillwater, the Birds have about all but totally vanished, leaving a few bunches of Limes. A few days ago there were around 100 scooters down there. There are still bunches of them to the east and south of the OSU campus, such as by Sprouts and apartment complexes. Their presence may have peaked in Stillwater, especially downtown.

OSU SGA passes bill of recommendation to bring scooters back.http://www.ocolly.com/news/sga-passe...a4deb6ff4.html

I was just on OU's campus today and was running late to get back to my car before the meter expired. I jumped on a Lime and made my way across campus in just a few minutes. It was great.

Lime scooters rolling out in Tulsa: https://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagel...82006fed2.html

It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, but there IS a learning curve to riding an electric scooter, and you CAN get injured riding them. https://qz.com/1436127/electric-scoo...diots-like-me/

Good luck finding on after a Thunder game. The ones by the arena are gone in no time after the game. I left last night game with 20 seconds left and they were all gone by the cox center already.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Good luck finding on after a Thunder game. The ones by the arena are gone in no time after the game. I left last night game with 20 seconds left and they were all gone by the cox center already.
    I actually left after the game ended with the large crowd and somehow found a Lime. But my friend couldn't find one so I ended up leaving it. But, yeah, the 30 at the arena were gone almost immediately.

23. Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I actually left after the game ended with the large crowd and somehow found a Lime. But my friend couldn't find one so I ended up leaving it. But, yeah, the 30 at the arena were gone almost immediately.
    We left after the game and were able to get 2 by the Myriad to ride to the St. Lucia concert. Definitely went quickly though.

Is there a way for Lime or Bird to put more there for after the games or is it just where people leave them. Don't they have to go get them at some point to charge them?

25. Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Is there a way for Lime or Bird to put more there for after the games or is it just where people leave them. Don't they have to go get them at some point to charge them?
    I could be wrong, but I believe that Birds stop running at 9 pm which doesn't work timing wise for riding after games. There were probably 40-50 Limes by the stadium, Myriad, Cox Center on Thursday which were all snatched up pretty quickly. I'm not sure how they decide how many get placed there, but I'm sure they could put more down there and they'd be used.

Thread Information