Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

If you follow the link to the new thread about bike lanes, I posted some graphics which show the lanes that have been funded.

Chad mentioned the protected I-44 bicycle trail. It has attracted private investment from Integris - they are building a water stop with an expected completion time by month’s end.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The city is just as bad and they control the huge amount of public streets.

I understand that this dates way back but I've yet to see any significant change. Apart from a few trails -- which have been completely funded by additional taxation -- where are there even bike lanes in OKC? A few disjointed blocks around downtown?

And now, as we are taxing ourselves again to spend hundreds of millions on new roads and re-paving, it again appears that bikes haven't even been considered. Same with the brand new, utlra-wide boulevard.

We need something to shake things up. Maybe the scooters will help.
    Well my point was about the Boulevard specifically. I don't fault the city for the lack of the integration of various modes caused by ODOT's incompetence. Through our efforts with Friends for a Better Boulevard, we did significantly reduce the impact of the design and enable it to be able to be modified at a later date to include bike lanes and transit infrastructure. The minimization of the aerial structures significantly affects the ability to do better integration.

The Boulevard fight however did expose many of the cultural issues plaguing the city. You have a number of people there who simply don't get good design when it comes to the pedestrian scale. It's changing, but it is like pulling teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    ^^^
    Bingo. While I understand why people find Bird's methods irresponsible, it seems that by forcing the issue they get quick resolutions by cities instead of waiting for lengthy deliberations. In most cities, some people freak out, then get used to it, and then embrace it. There are exceptions, but it seems like their method is effective.
    Exactly. Come in and almost overnight you build demand and support from customers. Go the slow city collaboration route and it might not ever happen, take forever to happen or be drastically different than the original idea. I have no problem with Bird's tactics here.

Last month, Dallas officials imposed new fees on companies operating bike-sharing programs in the city, including an $800 application cost for a permit. Several companies left town in response, including Beijing-based Ofo, who disposed of hundreds of their bikes at a nearby recycling center, creating—as you can see—quite a sight.
    https://jalopnik.com/mountain-of-rid...g-c-1828156808

^^^ lol, yup. This about what all the offramps look like when I hit my go-to taco shop and elotes stand located in the truck stop, car wash, extravaganza that is Fuel City in south-west Dallas.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DF71C59A-C31D-42D8-8F29-2B940CC802AF.jpeg 
Views:	113 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	14831
    Last edited by Uptowner; 08-07-2018 at 09:16 AM. Reason: What can I say? I use an iPad on okc talk and Apples autocorrect hates Spanish

People are saying on social media they seem to have vanished... But they are just more spread out now.

This screenshot shows one in Bethany and another in Nichols Hills!

Also, the Bird app now prompts you to support them in OKC but generating a form email to city leaders in your name.

8. Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

My friend sent this to me from Venice yesterday. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bird.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	182.1 KB 
ID:	14835

I wish I could read the sign posted on that pile of scooters

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    People are saying on social media they seem to have vanished... But they are just more spread out now.
    Weird, I saw 4 just walking from my place to the post office, to elemental, to the bus station this morning....

11. Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

You think that’s bad you should see the piles of confiscated and abandoned Ofo (and other) bike share bikes in China itself: https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/20...cycles/556268/

12. Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

They’re also vanishing because of being in use (including being locked by a user), being damaged and because of running out of battery early in the day. In all cases they don’t show up when this is the case. Last night I tried to track one down in Midtown at Commonplace. Found three physically in front of Commonplace but only one showed on map because the other two were damaged (which I found by scanning). Passed several others in Midtown which didn’t show on map because they were locked by a user (meaning user was paying for the time but had it parked). Finally found one by Civic Center, which I rode to Union and then locked myself.

I noticed one today that was at Council and Hefner!

I suppose people can throw them into their car and drive them to these far-flung areas... But I love the idea of someone riding a scooter from downtown, up Classen, then all the way out NW Expressway.

14. Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

Yes, as long as you put it on the clock there is nothing to keep you from taking it elsewhere. The guy I was out riding around with did this very thing by unlocking one, putting it in his truck, driving to his place in Midtown, and then riding down to meet me at Union. I was on my motorcycle chasing one and parked by Civic Center, we ended up at McNellie’s (where someone nabbed our scooters) and I had to get a ride back to my motorcycle haha.

Oh, and the chargers (people who pick them up each night and charge them) get paid extra for going to get one which has ranged far from dowtown. Theoretically they all end up back downtown each morning.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    My friend sent this to me from Venice yesterday. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bird.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	182.1 KB 
ID:	14835
    Lol. I've rode Bird in Venice/Santa Monica several times and, from my experience, there was never an overabundance of them. They were actually a little hard to locate because they were so popular and thus being used, locked, or out of battery. But you could usually find one.

16. Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Lol. I've rode Bird in Venice/Santa Monica several times and, from my experience, there was never an overabundance of them. They were actually a little hard to locate because they were so popular and thus being used, locked, or out of battery. But you could usually find one.
    That's an actual picture from this week.. haha

This whole thread reminds me of bikes at Burningman. Abandoned bike pile last year:

I wonder how much money a year someone could make if they signed up for all the on demand jobs? (Uber, Lyft, postmates, Bird charger)

I drove across downtown on Reno yesterday around 11:00 am and counted at least 9 bird scooters lined up nicely out of the way in various places

I live by the bike trail 10th and Davis. Could I ride one of these on the bike trail to downtown? You think they would ever put some in areas like this where you could ride around lakes and bike trails?

Blog Entries

I've wondered if their disbursement folks are temporary imports until they get locals or if they were always locals. If locals, you'd think they'd eventually put them at various trails. If not locals, they probably wouldn't know any better.

Blog Entries

$500 to buy your own, BTW

https://qz.com/1257198/xiaomi-makes-...san-francisco/

https://www.amazon.com/Electric-long.../dp/B076KKX4BC

My 1.2 mile ride the other day was $2.20

That's 200+ miles of rides to break even on that scooter.

Technically less at the $320 price in China mentioned in the article...

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    I live by the bike trail 10th and Davis. Could I ride one of these on the bike trail to downtown? You think they would ever put some in areas like this where you could ride around lakes and bike trails?
    Yes, the first two days they put one out at Reno and Meridian

Are you talking about marked bike path on the street or on the city walking and biking trail? Is it legal to ride a motorized vehicle on either (other than crossing)?

Trails...Multi-use trails are for pedestrian and bicycle traffic only, as well as skate boarding and mobility assistance devices. Horses and unauthorized motorized vehicles are strictly prohibited.

https://www.okc.gov/departments/park...ails-etiquette

Thread Information