Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

Quote Originally Posted by benjico View Post
    "OKC Police: new electric scooters illegal to use on streets, sidewalks" from NewsOK: https://newsok.com/article/5603597/o...eets-sidewalks
    What is the difference in these and the segways they already allow on sidewalks and no one throws a fit about them being illegal to drive on sidewalk.

I was just out in LA and saw these all over the place. Used one in Venice Beach and had a great time. Granted, LA (and specifically Venice) are completely different animals from OKC. That being said, I don't think they'll hurt a thing as long as the right rules are in place. And for everyone worried about these being used on streets and more so sidewalks, what say you about people riding their bikes on sidewalks or the various Segway tour groups I've seen using sidewalks in Bricktown and Downtown OKC. Those add traffic to sidewalks too. Cities in the metro probably need to be more intentional about making rules regarding sidewalk use more known. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    So basically they are illegal to use currently.
    Technically but I doubt they'll be ticketing people any time soon.

"OKC Police: new electric scooters illegal to use on streets, sidewalks" from NewsOK: https://newsok.com/article/5603597/o...eets-sidewalks
    This seems extremely unlikely and with out them actually siteing the ordaniance I am very skeptical

Clearly Bird is violating city ordinance with the not having a lience but I doubt riders are.

Because that would mean motor assist bike would be illegal along with many other examples

i figured the helmet part. also figured the sidewalk part. would actually like to see how the ordinance is worded for them being illegal on the street. maybe lack of reflectors?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    This seems extremely unlikely and with out them actually siteing the ordaniance I am very skeptical

Clearly Bird is violating city ordinance with the not having a lience but I doubt riders are.

Because that would mean motor assist bike would be illegal along with many other examples
    exactly my thoughts as well. under 18 needs a helmet... figured. perhaps not legal on the sidewalks... okay, there probably is something for that with regards to bikes and skateboards... but i want to see the ordinance for street use

If anyone has ever been to the Katy Trail/Oaklawn area in Dallas, there are the bike version of these things scattered everywhere. And although I like the concept, it really does make the area look trashed.

Private property owners can also prohibit them. The Myriad Botanical Gardens is private property, not a public or city park.

that is not accurate myriad gardens is absolutly public city owned property

OKC is now listed on the bird website

i have attempted to reach out to both newsok and the OKCPD to find out exactly what ordinances they are referencing

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    Private property owners can also prohibit them. The Myriad Botanical Gardens is private property, not a public or city park.
    You may be confusing the group that operates the park -- the Myriad Gardens Foundation -- with the ownership, which is the city of OKC.

The foundation operates as somewhat of a different entity but the manage the park on behalf of the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Technically but I doubt they'll be ticketing people any time soon.
    While I understand, and would tend to agree, there are definitely people out there who would shy away while that is the case.

Regardless this is why I dislike how Bird operates. Zero care for our community or ordinances. Very typical of them from what I've seen.

Hopefully Lime will get the City on the right path so we can get some proper regulations and properly implement this, because I do agree it's cool. I just want it done right.

Quote Originally Posted by swilki View Post
    I was just out in LA and saw these all over the place. Used one in Venice Beach and had a great time. Granted, LA (and specifically Venice) are completely different animals from OKC. That being said, I don't think they'll hurt a thing as long as the right rules are in place. And for everyone worried about these being used on streets and more so sidewalks, what say you about people riding their bikes on sidewalks or the various Segway tour groups I've seen using sidewalks in Bricktown and Downtown OKC. Those add traffic to sidewalks too. Cities in the metro probably need to be more intentional about making rules regarding sidewalk use more known. Just my two cents.
    So when will we be getting scooter sharing in The Village?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You may be confusing the group that operates the park -- the Myriad Gardens Foundation -- with the ownership, which is the city of OKC.

The foundation operates as somewhat of a different entity but the manage the park on behalf of the city.
    My information was three years old. At that time I sought clarification from the MBG Director and the Assistant City Manager, and both clarified that the MBG was NOT a city park. I printed a city parks directory and it isn't listed. Checking moments ago at https://www.okc.gov/departments/park...park-locations I see that the MBG now IS a named park.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    My information was three years old. At that time I sought clarification from the MBG Director and the Assistant City Manager, and both clarified that the MBG was NOT a city park. I printed a city parks directory and it isn't listed. Checking moments ago at https://www.okc.gov/departments/park...park-locations I see that the MBG now IS a named park.

It was 100% public property 3 years ago and has been at least since 1973. And possibly since 1911

Quote Originally Posted by Johnb911 View Post
    So when will we be getting scooter sharing in The Village?
    Not sure we have the right type of environment for it to be successful. That being said, we of course will take a look at our ordinances since these are popping up in the metro. And even out side of the scooter debate here, it'd be smart for us to look at signage for sidewalks and whats allowed or not since we are going to be putting in new sidewalks the next couple of years.

18. Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

Two Things:

1.) I totally support this and even putted around on one a bit this afternoon. It was pretty fun - but I doubt I'd do it very often.

2.) I've seen 4 people on these today downtown and unfortunately all four pretty much rode them in total disregard for traffic laws; running red lights, hoping off curbs into the street and popping back onto the sidewalks, etc. I'm sure people will figure it out eventually, but it's really not much different than the joggers and cyclists i see downtown - many couldn't care less about the traffic laws.

Okc PD already walking back from the “illegal” on streets comment.

We just returned from Memphis and they had them there as well.

Rode some from paseo yesterday and it was quite fun. If you are riding them on the sidewalk it’s fast & exciting, if you are riding in the sh*tty bike lanes around the neighborhoods it’s not so good. I give it 3 out of 5 stars. 10mph is slow on the road but fast on the pavement.

Blog Entries

riding over the AA fake bricks or the bricktown real bricks is a bit jaring

23. Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

They came to Denver about 3 weeksvago the same way, dump a bunch of bikes and force the city to deal with them. They banned the bikes for a week maybe, then opened them fror sidewalk use only. I'm sure they will expand it when they have more time to study their use,

Driving by the Myriad Gardens this morning, I spotted a trio of Bird scooters that had clearly been strategically placed on the park's SW corner.

They were all fully charged, arranged in a nice little row and not blocking the sidewalk.

Quickly checked one out and took it for a spin around downtown and since it was a Sunday AM, especially fun to zip around with almost no traffic.

Despite predictions of them being 'litter' on sidewalks, I didn't see hardly any around which means they were either being used or have just been scattered all over town. It seems there would have to be a ton more of them before they started to collect in any one place and become a nuisance.

Blog Entries

My son is in town this weekend from Dallas....he says Bird and Lime have about 1,000 combined scooters in place there (he lives in Uptown) and they are being used more than the bike rentals (just from his perception). Each morning they are placed in strategic locations and are fully charged and ready to go like the ones Pete showed in the pic above. His view is they are well received there.

Thread Information