Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

1. Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Are the scooters dropped in places consistently enough so that someone wanting to "integrate these things into their daily routines" could do so?
    They certainly are in the downtown area.

Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

Disruptive sure is the latest annoying word... hopefully "innovate!" has gone away
    and this has taken it's place....

https://entertainment.theonion.com/w...far-1819574674

Lime coming to OKC next week

So are Bird, and now apparently Lime next week, forced to place the scooters each morning in only the permitted locations the city allows? This is kind of dumb as it makes most sense to give them the flexibility to place them where the demand is, which is ever changing.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    So are Bird, and now apparently Lime next week, forced to place the scooters each morning in only the permitted locations the city allows? This is kind of dumb as it makes most sense to give them the flexibility to place them where the demand is, which is ever changing.
    As a layperson, my understanding is that is correct under the current ordinance and permitting process; however, the city has been working on establishing a new ordinance that would allow dockless transportation companies like Bird and Lime more flexibility in where they stage their scooters and bikes at the beginning of the day.

6. Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

^^^^^^^^^
    This is exactly right. The short-term solution was to permit specific addresses via revocable permit, which is presently the only mechanism available within current ordinance. The long-term goal is to provide a framework whereby the scooters could be left in ANY appropriate amenities zone or private property with permission of the property owner, as I indicated in this post on page 7:

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^
    You're correct.

But not if they are able to get revocable permit for such a use. Which the the workaround that the City is recommending. But currently it would specify locations by address and if a scooter was left elsewhere it would be in violation, which is why Bird says it is the wrong approach. They are right about that of course, but it is the best the City can offer until the framework is created which would allow such businesses in TYPES of locations rather than SPECIFIC locations, which is what they City is working on.

Update: City of Stillwater says electric scooters are street legal: http://www.stwnewspress.com/news/upd..._medium=social

8. Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

Question: Been utilizing the Bird scooters when I go from the office to a destination several blocks away. That said, a few times I've gone to a location where the map showed several scooters should be - only to see not a single scooter anywhere in that immediate area. What causes this? Just a GPS issue? Are the scooters actually inside a building at that location?

Just curious, as its aggravating to walk two blocks only to find the map appears to be incorrect.

9. Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

Based on my experience I’ll bet your second guess is correct; that is, someone has taken the scooter inside a building to hoard it and be certain it will be available for their next trip, but without paying to keep it under their control. This would be a TOS violation but not sure how one would report it. To some extent this service relies on the honor system and unfortunately some people are less than honorable. Has it been the same location every time?

You have every right to keep a scooter dedicated to you when not riding it, but you must continue to keep the meter running. I’ve done this myself several times now.

I think that this issue will probably largely disappear once the inventory is much higher and procurement is more reliable.

Blog Entries

I had an issue where a scooter I used was gone after I finished my task but it still showed on the map in the spot I left it for quite awhile.

My biggest annoyance so far is scooters that are unavailable due to maintenance still showing up on the map.

11. Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

I went to downtown Denver yesterday for dinner and at Union Station, people were using the heck out of the scooters. Must have seen 30 people on them (not seeming to be tourists) walking from the light rail to the restaurant.

12. Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

Wife came downtown to visit me at work earlier today and we decided to scooter to Kitchen 324 for some brunch.

Only thing I didn't like is that literally virtually all the scooters were in Automobile Alley, Bricktown or Midtown. I had to go hunt scooters down blocks away and brought them to the office and we then left from there. Can't wait for much more inventory.

I'd even consider buying a couple of my own for office use if I can come up with a reliable way to lock them up at each stop....

Blog Entries

Based on my experience I’ll bet your second guess is correct; that is, someone has taken the scooter inside a building to hoard it and be certain it will be available for their next trip, but without paying to keep it under their control. This would be a TOS violation but not sure how one would report it. To some extent this service relies on the honor system and unfortunately some people are less than honorable. Has it been the same location every time?
    I've also experienced this, and I attribute it to people hiding them away. If a scooter isn't where the map says it is, you can report it as missing in the app. I suspect that if the same person used it before and after the "missing" report, Bird would investigate by sending a message to the user, with a TOS reminder.

16. Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Seems super reasonable.

"The City would have the right to require the licensee to use geo-fences – GPS or RFID technology creating a virtual boundary that triggers a response by the scooter if it enters a fenced area – preventing the scooters from use in certain prohibited areas. These areas would be shown to users on the smartphone apps needed to use the scooters."

Just curious.. is this something the Scooters currently have the ability to do?

18. Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    "The City would have the right to require the licensee to use geo-fences – GPS or RFID technology creating a virtual boundary that triggers a response by the scooter if it enters a fenced area – preventing the scooters from use in certain prohibited areas. These areas would be shown to users on the smartphone apps needed to use the scooters."

They currently have areas blocked off in red on the app, i'm not sure what happens if you enter that area.

Seems super reasonable.
    Except the part that the city designates where BIrd can put them first thing in the morning. This should be something that is flexible based on demand or which day of the week. I dont know why it has to be set in stone where they can put them out. Whats to stop Bird from putting them out in the designated areas and then immediately "riding" them to where they really want them? This seems to be the one heavy handed thing about this ordinance.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    They currently have areas blocked off in red on the app, i'm not sure what happens if you enter that area.
    I suppose they could keep beeping that they become too annoying for the jerk who took inside his house or office building.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post

It would take a little programming, but yes. Just as FAA established geofences around airports and other restricted areas (like Washington DC), the same hardware & software can be employed with scooters. If trying to ride a scooter into an area, the motor could be programmed to stop. If inside the zone, the motor would not start. The geofencing burden should be placed on Bird.

Lime Scooters have arrived in OKC. Saw about four in front of Bleu Garten this morning.

23. Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

In reference to the geofencing - an email I recently got confirmed that the "No Ride or Park Zones" that appear on the map are just that. If you enter these zones, your bird will either be reduced to 5 mph or will stop completely.

Stillwater Police Impounding Birds When Obstructing Sidewalks. http://www.stwnewspress.com/news/spd...60e032fe2.html

They certainly are in the downtown area.
    They certainly are also in the Stillwater downtown area, but kicked off of OSU as of later today.

Thread Information