Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 292
  1. Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

    Saw the first birds on Lindsey this morning. 3 of them propped up against a sign just outside of campus.

  2. #177

    Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

    Quote Originally Posted by ChargerAg View Post
    Saw the first birds on Lindsey this morning. 3 of them propped up against a sign just outside of campus.
    There were three of them behind the Sprouts/Cellar building off of Gray Street as well.

  3. #178

    Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

    Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    people already bike, skate, scooter on the south oval... I can't see these being any more dangerous that what already takes place.
    Absolutely. Bike-pedestrian collisions have been a part of campus transportation for a long time. I'm more worried about post-2am Bird rides...

    These scooters should really work well in Norman not only for transportation around campus, but also to bridge the gaps between Main Street-Campus/Campus Corner-Lloyd Noble/Research Campus. Each of those areas lack walkability because the areas between are uninteresting... and so few people make the walks. These provide a perfect bridge.

  4. #179

    Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

    Bird can’t be rented after 9PM

  5. Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

    Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Bird canít be rented after 9PM
    So who will charge Norman's scooters tonight. My understanding is it takes over a week to get qualified to be a bird charger.

  6. #181

    Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

    Sometimes I see the scooters located in what looks like neighborhoods in N OKC, are these chargers or are people taking them to their homes?

  7. Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

    Quote Originally Posted by ChargerAg View Post
    So who will charge Norman's scooters tonight. My understanding is it takes over a week to get qualified to be a bird charger.
    Would guess that Bird has advance people doing this in each new market. All of the scooters in OKC somehow managed to start each day with full charges and in neat rows in designated nests. I would expect the same in Norman.
    NOTICE: I WORK FOR A DOWNTOWN TOURIST ATTRACTION

  8. #183
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,736
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

    Sometimes I feel like the bird-handlers are genius. Sometimes I think they are fools. 3 scooters lined up outside one of those bail bond places on Classen today. Wut?

    Yet in Deep Deuce this morning there were 4 at 10am (probably started out with more and folks rode them to work in the cbd), and two of them were marked damaged in the system.

  9. #184

    Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

    Does anyone know if the City has issued a permit to Bird (or any other scooter service)?

  10. #185

    Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

    https://twitter.com/cityofokc/status...03720827744261

    The new ordinance allows Public Works, not the police, to impound rental scooters. But no, none were impounded. As of Monday, Bird has revocable permits for 15 "nests" of five scooters each around downtown. ^mk

  11. #186

    Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

    People should be furious that "fads" get billions in VC money... pretty serious social implications on s#$% like that.

    Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    I think this is a fad versus a long term structural shift like Uber

  12. #187

    Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSteveHunt View Post
    People should be furious that "fads" get billions in VC money... pretty serious social implications on s#$% like that.
    i suppose i don't understand why that should make somebody furious. as long as that venture capital money is from private rather than government (i.e. taxpayer) sources, then why should i care how somebody chooses to invest their own money? even for a "foolish" investment that ends up being a short-lived fad, doesn't that money create more economic impact (hiring/contracting employees, having things like scooters built, etc.) than it otherwise would?

  13. #188

    Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSteveHunt View Post
    People should be furious that "fads" get billions in VC money... pretty serious social implications on s#$% like that.
    Why should people be “furious” about priviate money being invested in startups?

  14. #189

    Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

    Because the origins of the extreme wealth being put into these entities is shady....people can afford to put money into s$@% like this, but
    we can't have affordable health care, fully funded fire/police, good roads, education etc... all because the money for that stuff is handed over
    to hedge fund managers, Bezo's types, big pharma, pr firms, defense contractors, etc..

  15. #190

    Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

    Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Sometimes I feel like the bird-handlers are genius. Sometimes I think they are fools. 3 scooters lined up outside one of those bail bond places on Classen today. Wut?

    Yet in Deep Deuce this morning there were 4 at 10am (probably started out with more and folks rode them to work in the cbd), and two of them were marked damaged in the system.
    I saw 3 today at 8th and Classen in the parking lot of the closed hotel there. The placement was curious to me.

  16. #191

    Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSteveHunt View Post
    Because the origins of the extreme wealth being put into these entities is shady....people can afford to put money into s$@% like this, but
    we can't have affordable health care, fully funded fire/police, good roads, education etc... all because the money for that stuff is handed over
    to hedge fund managers, Bezo's types, big pharma, pr firms, defense contractors, etc..
    Please take this socialist political every owes me garbage to the politics section where it belongs

  17. #192

    Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSteveHunt View Post
    Because the origins of the extreme wealth being put into these entities is shad.
    care to explain this further???

  18. #193

    Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

    Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Please take this socialist political every owes me garbage to the politics section where it belongs
    The best way to request political conversations be moved elsewhere is definitely to include political jabs in the request. /s

  19. #194

    Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSteveHunt View Post
    People should be furious that "fads" get billions in VC money... pretty serious social implications on s#$% like that.
    there are some cities, like D.C. for example, where owning an automobile might be cost prohibitive and the public transit system, while good, isn't readily available in certain areas of the city (see, e.g., Georgetown). in these cities, the scooters have the potential to fill a very important role in moving people where they need to be in a relatively economic way.

    there is some social and economic utility in play with these Birds.

  20. #195

    Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

    True. Lots of good info here.... some mean F#$%'n people scattered about. Not really cool!


    Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    The best way to request political conversations be moved elsewhere is definitely to include political jabs in the request. /s

  21. #196

    Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gum.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	14863

  22. #197

    Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

    I saw a few younger looking people zipping around the Jones Assembly last night. As we were walking to the Jones before the concert a guy came zipping up behind us on the sidewalk, it wasn't busy so there was plenty of room, but he could have at least shouted. Anyways, he nearly made it to the Jones but the scooter must have ran out of juice a few blocks before and he had to walk the rest of the way.

  23. #198

    Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

    Tuned in to NPR this morning and they were interviewing an Uber driver about his impressions about these scooters. This was taking place, I want to say in NYC where they're having the same responses and issues we're having in OKC. This doesn't appear to be a fad and I think if the pricing models could move to more of a subscription-based fee rather than per use fee, people might be able to integrate these things into their daily routines. Also, what a cool way to roll this thing out. No media, no ads. Just boom. Here's a scooter. Everyone figuring out how it works creates a buzz. The lack of working together with the city creates free media. All of this is genius.

  24. Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

    Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Tuned in to NPR this morning and they were interviewing an Uber driver about his impressions about these scooters. This was taking place, I want to say in NYC where they're having the same responses and issues we're having in OKC. This doesn't appear to be a fad and I think if the pricing models could move to more of a subscription-based fee rather than per use fee, people might be able to integrate these things into their daily routines. Also, what a cool way to roll this thing out. No media, no ads. Just boom. Here's a scooter. Everyone figuring out how it works creates a buzz. The lack of working together with the city creates free media. All of this is genius.
    Are the scooters dropped in places consistently enough so that someone wanting to "integrate these things into their daily routines" could do so?

  25. #200
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,627
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Bird Electric Scooter Sharing

    The birds have landed in Stillwater
    'Disruptive' Bird Scooters ruffle feathers in Stillwater: http://www.stwnewspress.com/news/dis...ce4733dc8.html

    Dockless scooters scoot into Stillwater: http://stillwaterliving.com/dockless...to-stillwater/

    Mayor's comments: https://www.facebook.com/stillwaterw...c_location=ufi

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Car Sharing in OKC, convincing a car addicted population
    By TimeCarOKC in forum Transportation
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 02-10-2014, 09:21 AM
  2. Car-Sharing Coming to Deep Deuce
    By MParker in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-06-2013, 08:29 PM
  3. Pop-Ins (Umbrella sharing by Downtown OKC Inc)
    By BBatesokc in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-30-2013, 02:25 PM
  4. Sharing my Sunday stroll
    By so1rfan in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-14-2008, 07:14 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO