Widgets Magazine

Thread: Prime Rib

Default Prime Rib

Often, probably just as often as I get a craving for steak as a red meat fix, I drool over prime rib. That perfect slab of medium rare that swims in its own juices and just melts in your mouth with all that fat content. Where the fat cap has melded with beef and the crust/bark is perfectly crispy. Served with a little cup of juis and some horseradish cream to change up the flavor as you approach the upper portion of 20 ounces.

Believe me when I say that some of, if not, the best in town is served at the sit down restaurant across from the jack Daniels club at the Chesapeake arena, it’s got a garlic rosemary crust and smoke is present but I can’t pick out the variety, my guess is hickory.

So, who knows a prime rib joint in town?? Cattleman’s is quite bland, and Charleston’s can rarely deliver a slice below medium well. The old park restaurant (myriad gardens) did a decent job, but like some other places they don’t sell enough to keep it warm and opt to take rare slices from the fridge and finish them on the grill. Most steak places treat it like red headed step child and just bake one off in the oven for the customers who seek it while giving all the love to char-broiling, or grilling steak.

Smoke and, to a lesser degree, spice/herb are important. I’m not so concerned with sides or even ambience. I just need that melty, juicy, red meat.

2. Default Re: Prime Rib

Actually had a really good prime rib at Charleston’s just the other day - very red inside and nicely done. Edmond location. Worst prime rib I ever had was from the Outback across the street.

Default Re: Prime Rib

Had terrible prime rib at the former KD’s location downtown just a few months ago. But have had a good slab at the south side location. I believe prime rib depends a lot on the frequency it’s ordered.

Had a good one a while back at downtown Mahogany. I think Sunday night special was $ 29.

Try Iron Starr, they have a smoked prime rib that is pretty good. Or if you don't mind a bit of a drive take a trip down to Ken's in Amber, its worth it just for the fried okra on the salad bar.

Thread Information