Widgets Magazine
Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

Only possible silver lining without a miracle to win in 7 would be hopefully getting a coach that will reign Russ and PG in.

There is absolutely no reason for Russ to be jacking up long contested 2s. Why did he not drive to the hoop more? Why was he so focused on hitting those 3s over Lillard?

Donovan letting Lillard and Co rack up a 17 point lead in about 6 minutes of the 3rd is completely unacceptable. The strategy to keep switching and not continuously trapping Lillard/McCollum is a failure by Billy.

That person's tweet they showed on the TNT broadcast is so true. "Russ is trying to beat Dame, Dame is trying to beat OKC".

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

We're missing the point. Portland needs to be given credit for an outstanding performance & game plan adjustments. They hit shots in which they were well guarded and defended.

Thunder can still real this series in. We listen to the strategists who make predictions based on previous stats (which shouldn't be ignored); however anything can happen. In today's NBA, a 3 - 1 series lead isn't a warranty shield. Ask Oklahoma City Thunder and the Golden State Warriors about 3 - 1 leads in their finals' series.

Thunder can go into Portland with nothing to lose because many of us have written them off.

Now that we have Russ and PG locked into contracts, this is time to get a real coach who will be firmer. Worst that happens is one or both ask to leave - but if we do nothing then we will never win it all anyways. I understand not bringing in tougher coach prior to Russ extending we did not want to chase off our biggest last asset. But as is Billy is lost and out of ideas.

We are not winning 3 in a row with 2 on road vs this caliber of team (Portland).

And its sad. Sam drafted better than anyone in history yet no titles and its looking bad long term. We had 3 of the top 10 or so current players on our roster at one time. We still have PG and Russ and Adams yet now lack in coach. Case in point Billy does mot respect leads. With less than 2 minutes to first half we lead by 7 (46-38). After Portland TO they went in 11-0 run and lead 50-46 at half. To me that was ballgame. And Billy did not call a TO! Why? Those 2 minutes are just as important as any other 2 minutes of the game so why dod he just twiddle his thumbs? Its been that way all year too. Billy is out of ideas and we need new ones. We have 2 more years to go all the way until we go to tank mode. Once PG contract is up if we have not made finals he is gone and by then Russ will be in major decline. If we waste those 2 years with Billy we will never find out how far we could go. We need a coach who will hold Russ accountable!

It really all boils down to Westbrook and George playing badly in this series. We live and die by that duo and that duo has not played well AT ALL.

Going forward we need to transition away from a roster trying to out athlete teams to a couple of great athletes kicking it out to guys that can actually hit an open three.

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

OKCGuy, this goes back to the players, don't know too many superstar players who in my estimation are 100% coachable unless they are having success. Some posters think that the Thunder's lack of success against the T-Blazers had to do with finding somebody to pin the blame.

Doc Rivers with the Clippers doesn't have any 'superstars' on his roster--they have given GSW a real challenge.

Players have ro get the feel of the game as well as their trust in the coaching staff.

Yesterday's loss to Portland was disappointing; if Portland plays to that level in the playoffs, they will be a tough match-up for any NBA opponent if they win this series.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    OKCGuy, this goes back to the players, don't know too many superstar players who in my estimation are 100% coachable unless they are having success. Some posters think that the Thunder's lack of success against the T-Blazers had to do with finding somebody to pin the blame.

Doc Rivers with the Clippers doesn't have any 'superstars' on his roster--they have given GSW a real challenge.

Players have ro get the feel of the game as well as their trust in the coaching staff.

Yesterday's loss to Portland was disappointing; if Portland plays to that level in the playoffs, they will be a tough match-up for any NBA opponent if they win this series.
    Dirk, Curry, Klay, KD, PG and on and on are coachable. LBJ is not.

Russ has not been the reason we lost but my thing is he does not help prevent it either. He can’t make others make shots. FYI, Russ has the NBA highest “potential” playoff assists by far. What this measures is good open look shots missed that of course do not count. It shows how much Russ tries to involve players. We have a flawed roster, but I attribute part of it to the ripple effect losing snake KD for no value had on us. KD not only hurt us in leaving he destroyed our ability to recover since we got no value for him.

My beef with Russ is stupid emotional outbursts. How many games this year:

A. Russ did not get a call
    B. Russ get mad
    C. Russ immediately fouls an opposing player just so he can complain to ref
    D. Ref T’s up Russ
    E. Call is not once ever changed

And how many games Russ goes solo end of games.

He is an amazing player. But he has no control of emotions and opposing teams use it against him.

So is any other team in this year's playoffs with two stars on the roster not up in their best of 7?

Westbrook is definitely getting bad press now about not answering Tramel’s basketball related questions. I could understand if these were non-basketball related questions, but they are legitimate questions that someone making $35MM per year should answer. He is ruining his image with all of these clips for no real reason.

For those that want a firm coach to keep Westbrook in check, be careful what you wish for. Westbrook is 10 years into his career and the organization and coaches have kept Russ happy. It's paid off in a lot of ways. But, Westbrook owns this organization now. And this isn't high school basketball, NBA players have more power. If a coach acts like a hard ass and Russ rejects it, the Thunder will be in a far worse place than they are now: a toxic organization that's not meeting expectations. At least it's only the latter now. The one thing OKC has going for it is a great organizational culture where players love to play. I don't think there's a single other coach the Thunder could get who could demand the type of respect people want here. It's a pipe dream. Finally, Billy has got Russ to change his game this season. His defense and shot selection have been better. However, when the going gets tough, Russ tries to will the team to win in self-destructive ways. That he believes in himself so much is the problem. And, for one season it actually worked. But it's hard to imagine Russ changing much more at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    For those that want a firm coach to keep Westbrook in check, be careful what you wish for. Westbrook is 10 years into his career and the organization and coaches have kept Russ happy. It's paid off in a lot of ways. But, Westbrook owns this organization now. And this isn't high school basketball, NBA players have more power. If a coach acts like a hard ass and Russ rejects it, the Thunder will be in a far worse place than they are now: a toxic organization that's not meeting expectations. At least it's only the latter now. The one thing OKC has going for it is a great organizational culture where players love to play. I don't think there's a single other coach the Thunder could get who could demand the type of respect people want here. It's a pipe dream. Finally, Billy has got Russ to change his game this season. His defense and shot selection have been better. However, when the going gets tough, Russ tries to will the team to win in self-destructive ways. That he believes in himself so much is the problem. And, for one season it actually worked. But it's hard to imagine Russ changing much more at this point.
    You make compelling points. But don’t underestimate Russ wanting to leave a lasting legacy either. I don’t think he’d undermine or cause too much friction with a tougher coach else it could undo lots of his good will. I do think there are coaches out there who could coach him up better. The problem we had is Scotty failed so we brought in Billy in KDs last year. And Billy did an outstanding job. Even though we lost to GS he put us in position and players let him down mainly KD and Russ. So then KD leaves and Billy could not be let go so fast with how good we did and how shocked we were that KD left. Year 2 was no expectations so we let Russ go all Russ and he willed us to playoffs and won MVP. Year 3 was gaining PG/Melo and feeling we were starting to recover. And recruiting PG. Year 4 is this year where we had less turmoil and higher goals with a high tax. And now more focus on Billy where he has not moved us higher.

Billy is out of options. We have peaked under him. Fans were expecting more of team and now get a boring game. Its bad bb and that we have no ball moving system. Fans are ready for season to be over. Fans left early last night that never happens here in playoffs. If nothing changes fans will start skipping games next year. The newness and extreme playoff vibe is gone. Now its just same ole same ole. If we keep Billy we are saying all we care is to try to make playoffs and get bounced round 1. Fans have wised up.

I think Russ would respond to right coach. He gas a legacy to keep and right now we are at a crossroads. Get a coach in for these last 2 years of Russ/PG paired up or keep Billy and lose fan excitement with zero hope of ever making finals.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    So is any other team in this year's playoffs with two stars on the roster not up in their best of 7?
    the jazz and spurs come to mind

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    the jazz and spurs come to mind
    I'll give you Utah, but what 2 players for the Spurs are in the top 10 in individual stats? And while SA is not up in the playoffs, they are not down either.

I'll give you Utah, but what 2 players for the Spurs are in the top 10 in individual stats? And while SA is not up in the playoffs, they are not down either.
    LA and demar derozan both multi multi time all stars

LA and demar derozan both multi multi time all stars
    2 stars was the observation

2 stars was the observation
    and i listed 2 guys

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Additionally, Westbrook( and maybe Paul) will have veto over any potential hire, just as many franchise stars in the NBA have.

and i listed 2 guys
    Let me be more specific and qualify my initial observation. Let us limit the definition of star to someone in the top 10 of individual stats for the 2018-19 season.

Blog Entries

Do we expect too much of our NBA stars or superstars?

Following Durant's departure, Westbrook took this franchise on his back; as Dan mentioned in a sense he owns this organization, because of his loyalty and popularity. Russell stayed and Kevin left the organization--that created 'capital' for Westbrook. My advice to Westbrook don't spend it all in one place.

This back & fourth between Trammell & Westbrook has gotten out-of-hand. We can get the same answers from other reporters; is answer what we want? On one hand, since Westbrook makes millions, posters think players (regardless of color) owe the media or press answers--in a sense they do. We don't always like the answers we receive--so what. The press can sometimes be just as arrogant & stubborn in demanding that you owe me (personally) answers--this is the stand-off.

Westbrook will answer questions; this insistence that he answers to Barry Trammell is really what this all about.

Sure Russell could answer Barry's simple questions and move on; they've made this more about the individuals themselves. Some of you see it as a simple thing; this mentality goes way back. Westbrook has earned his reputation as an NBA player, superstar & knucklehead. Barry earned his reputation as a fine outstanding reporter, asks those tough question & a real dickhead.

Look through the glasses of both individuals who have qualities we all like:

RW: I'm not going to answer to you because I don't like you--I'm not going to give in.
    BT: I'm going to keep asking you questions until you give in.

It boils down to this; one is trying to break the other--both IMO are BULLISH over BS.

Blog Entries

...Look at this from Barry's view. What if Barry asked all the players questions and skipped over Westbrook--believe me, there would be more infused into this conversation--a place where we don't want to go.

I understand where both Westbrook & Trammell stand; both individuals I like and it hurts me to see it come to this. Wish there was a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Do we expect too much of our NBA stars or superstars?

Following Durant's departure, Westbrook took this franchise on his back; as Dan mentioned in a sense he owns this organization, because of his loyalty and popularity. Russell stayed and Kevin left the organization--that created 'capital' for Westbrook. My advice to Westbrook don't spend it all in one place.

This back & fourth between Trammell & Westbrook has gotten out-of-hand. We can get the same answers from other reporters; is answer what we want? On one hand, since Westbrook makes millions, posters think players (regardless of color) owe the media or press answers--in a sense they do. We don't always like the answers we receive--so what. The press can sometimes be just as arrogant & stubborn in demanding that you owe me (personally) answers--this is the stand-off.

Westbrook will answer questions; this insistence that he answers to Barry Trammell is really what this all about.

Sure Russell could answer Barry's simple questions and move on; they've made this more about the individuals themselves. Some of you see it as a simple thing; this mentality goes way back. Westbrook has earned his reputation as an NBA player, superstar & knucklehead. Barry earned his reputation as a fine outstanding reporter, asks those tough question & a real dickhead.

Look through the glasses of both individuals who have qualities we all like:

RW: I'm not going to answer to you because I don't like you--I'm not going to give in.
    BT: I'm going to keep asking you questions until you give in.

It boils down to this; one is trying to break the other--both IMO are BULLISH over BS.
    BT: I am going to ask you questions because it is my job as a reporter for the only paper in town and you are the biggest player on the only major league team in town.
    RW: I am bigger than you and everybody else. Nobody including the head coach tells me what to do.

RW has also played his power trip game with Erik Horne and Royce Young. This attitude is infecting the whole team (Paul George last Friday) and ownership needs to put a halt to it. Ownership does have the power to end this temper tantrum.This goes back further than this year as well.

Let me be more specific and qualify my initial observation. Let us limit the definition of star to someone in the top 10 of individual stats for the 2018-19 season.
    or maybe to actual all stars? ?

Blog Entries

As with my own family; not going to get caught up in this mess, IMO doesn't amount to a hill-of-beans.

You are correct Jersey Boss; this situation spreads to other players--only hope it doesn't go any further. In Westbrook's defense, "I'm not a horse, therefore you're not going to break me."

Seems to be infecting the fan base; if we draw a line and take sides--again, it's a no win situation.

Blog Entries

Somebody start planning a big game 7 watch party for Saturday! THUNDER UP!

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    Somebody start planning a big game 7 watch party for Saturday! THUNDER UP!
    You mean Energy? I think they play their 7th game Sat? Otherwise it will be a Thunderless Sat night here. The only watching will be for exit interviews to start off season.

(I would love to be wrong!)

I've spent maybe <10 minutes thinking about how the OK market is considered "easy" on their NBA stars. I couldn't recall any articles in other markets that rip their NBA stars. New york and Chicago rip management more than players.

As for Tramel, he's probably there for a reason. Having said that, nobody I know takes his opinion seriously.

Thread Information