Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 701
  1. #151

    Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

    It's weird because the team looks to be deeper this season than in the past. Lets hope that can get it together. It's crazy watching a team like this throw up 3 after 3 instead of just working for a good shot they have a chance to make. Defense is pretty much horrible with a few spurts of good here and there.

  2. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

    Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Defense is pretty much horrible with a few spurts of good here and there.
    ^^^ Nailed it.... When you put up 120 points in regulation and lose... Offense wasn't your problem.

  3. #153

    Thunder Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

    Not going to participate in a blame game this early. Just want to point out one area where the Thunder is deficient.

    Adams is a beast, tough endurance player; Steven has improved under the rim with rebounds & put backs. His height advantage does allow him to get good dunks without taking one.

    He has flaws: not a consistent rim protector, totally inept guarding outside the paint; doesn't appear he can jump 6 inches high or shoot a mid range shot let alone a 3 point threat. Nerlens Noel is a great backup at center to complement Adams.

    Not going there on Donovan; he, like most great college coaches doesn't seem to readily adapt to the NBA game. Billy has a reputation for long-term results--give him time.

    We're 0-3, it doesn't look bleak for the next 7 games ahead.

  4. #154

    Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

    Went to the game last night. I’ve never been so frustrated, they had WIDE open shots and just kept bricking them up. I thought Russ looked pretty good but Paul struggled in the first half. Obviously it’s really early but defense definately needs to improve drastically for them to put up a fight against anyone. Also Diallo>Ferguson

  5. #155

    Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

    Quote Originally Posted by Southsider2 View Post
    Went to the game last night. Iíve never been so frustrated, they had WIDE open shots and just kept bricking them up. I thought Russ looked pretty good but Paul struggled in the first half. Obviously itís really early but defense definately needs to improve drastically for them to put up a fight against anyone. Also Diallo>Ferguson
    If they would step inside the 3 point arc a few feet many of those misses would turn into 2s. This team has no business putting up over 30 3 pointers. 15-20 3 point shots a game and this team would be so much better IMO.

  6. #156

    Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

    A few thoughts. First, the Thunder need to keep launching those threes. They're good shots. We won't keep missing them like this. And, as others said, the offense isn't the problem right now. All data suggests we'll hit more, particularly Patterson. Second, we have a lot of players playing really poorly by their standards: Adams, Patterson, Ferguson, and Grant. Adams looks injured to me. Maybe he should sit a game or two. I'm not sure if Ferguson will be good at some point, but he's clearly not ready yet. It's not just these three games. He was bad in summer league and bad last season. He just disappears. Billy sometimes seems to think a good defender is a guy that moves around a lot, which is what T-Ferg does. He hustles, but he's still not a great defender and he's a horrid offensive player. I've seen more from Diallo already than I've ever seen from Ferguson. The Thunder tend to value measureables and potential over guys that seem to know how to play. I think Diallo and Burton deserve a chance as they seem to have more confidence and better basketball instincts/IQ. On the bright side, Russ, Nerlens, and Diallo have all looked great. I'm not panicking, but I really don't like Billy's comments on Ferguson. T-Ferg is 20 years old. It's fine to sit him. He's got a lot of chances in front of him. It doesn't mean you have to give up on him. Let's hope he proves us wrong, but I don't see it coming.

    Having said that, I'll be in OKC for the Celtics on Thursday. Let's hope that's the start of the turnaround.

  7. #157

    Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

    Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    A few thoughts. First, the Thunder need to keep launching those threes. They're good shots. We won't keep missing them like this. And, as others said, the offense isn't the problem right now. All data suggests we'll hit more, particularly Patterson. Second, we have a lot of players playing really poorly by their standards: Adams, Patterson, Ferguson, and Grant. Adams looks injured to me. Maybe he should sit a game or two. I'm not sure if Ferguson will be good at some point, but he's clearly not ready yet. It's not just these three games. He was bad in summer league and bad last season. He just disappears. Billy sometimes seems to think a good defender is a guy that moves around a lot, which is what T-Ferg does. He hustles, but he's still not a great defender and he's a horrid offensive player. I've seen more from Diallo already than I've ever seen from Ferguson. The Thunder tend to value measureables and potential over guys that seem to know how to play. I think Diallo and Burton deserve a chance as they seem to have more confidence and better basketball instincts/IQ. On the bright side, Russ, Nerlens, and Diallo have all looked great. I'm not panicking, but I really don't like Billy's comments on Ferguson. T-Ferg is 20 years old. It's fine to sit him. He's got a lot of chances in front of him. It doesn't mean you have to give up on him. Let's hope he proves us wrong, but I don't see it coming.

    Having said that, I'll be in OKC for the Celtics on Thursday. Let's hope that's the start of the turnaround.
    Itís tough to win when you make Iman Shumpert look like an MVP candidate. Add in the fact that we got absolutely crushed on the glass by Bagley and Cauley-Stein, and itís easy to see why we took a Big L.

    I would hope that we see a bit more Diallo. Guy is not much of a shooter, but he should be lethal in transition if we can start getting some defensive stops.

  8. #158

    Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

    We need a few less athletes and a few more basketball players.

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,575
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

    My over 48.5 total ticket needs for the Thunder to actually win a game. Then 48 more.

  10. #160

    Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

    Quote Originally Posted by kswright29 View Post
    We need a few less athletes and a few more basketball players.
    We don’t need less athletes. We need guys who can do both. Diallo and Burton both have potential. Ferguson strikes me as a traditional Thunder 2 who lacks playmaking abilities (see Thabo, Robes, Fisher, Ferg, etc.). Some of these guys have been effective, but I’m just not sure what Ferguson brings right now.

  11. #161

    Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

    Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    We donít need less athletes. We need guys who can do both. Diallo and Burton both have potential. Ferguson strikes me as a traditional Thunder 2 who lacks playmaking abilities (see Thabo, Robes, Fisher, Ferg, etc.). Some of these guys have been effective, but Iím just not sure what Ferguson brings right now.
    You're right Dan, OKC needs consistency. Right now these guys IMO lack motivation with the exception of new comers Diallo, Burton. Schroder & Noel. Saw Ferguson's play during the preseason injury; thought this may be the year that makes or breaks him.

    Again Dan, as you mentioned players need to continue to take advantage of that wide open look--the shots will start to fall.

  12. #162

    Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

    Insanity- Doing the same thing and hoping for a different result. Time to step forward and take more 2's. I don't see any basis for optimism on 3 point shots, any more than optimism that Roberson will ever hit 3/4 at the charity stripe.

  13. #163

    Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Insanity- Doing the same thing and hoping for a different result. Time to step forward and take more 2's. I don't see any basis for optimism on 3 point shots, any more than optimism that Roberson will ever hit 3/4 at the charity stripe.
    Thunder players are shooting dramatically under their individual averages right now and this has resulted in a team average of 23.9%. This is the lowest average for any team in the NBA by 3.5%. The lowest percentage a team shot last season was Pheonix at 33.4%. For the Thunder to NOT to improve dramatically would require one of the most improbable, sustained statistical occurences in sports history. So, I'd say the Thunder have an overwhelming statistical basis for optimism. They will shoot better and should keep taking them as a team.

    Now, who takes how many and what kind are important considerations. But, according to all analytic models, the worst thing the Thunder could do is "step forward and take more 2's." Long 2s are the least efficient shot in basketball.

  14. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Insanity- Doing the same thing and hoping for a different result. Time to step forward and take more 2's. I don't see any basis for optimism on 3 point shots, any more than optimism that Roberson will ever hit 3/4 at the charity stripe.
    Right... use that athleticism to drive the lane and force the defender to foul you. Make that 3 point play the old fashioned way.

  15. #165

    Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

    Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Right... use that athleticism to drive the lane and force the defender to foul you. Make that 3 point play the old fashioned way.
    Agree, we have that athleticism; my concern is will the officials make that call. We need a balance from both. Again, our free throw % doesn't look encouraging after 3 games; with Boston up next, who knows what to expect.

    Keep the optimism and don't lose faith.

  16. #166

    Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

    Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Right... use that athleticism to drive the lane and force the defender to foul you. Make that 3 point play the old fashioned way.
    If Thunder players aren't taking threes, there will be far less space in which to drive the lane. There's a reason there aren't any "old fashioned" teams anymore. Every NBA team takes a lot of threes today because analytics suggests that it's a better shot and more efficient than anything besides layups unless you have someone elite in the midrange (e.g., Chris Paul). The Thunder don't have any good midrange players so they should try to get as many threes and shots at the bucket as possible.

    Having said that, I am not trying to make an either/or argument. The Thunder can find ways to get to the bucket more (which is a great shot) and figure out what are the best threes (statistically: George, Patterson, Abrines, Felton; Westbrook spot up, not off the dribble; Corner threes). However, one of the best things the Thunder have done is taken a lot of good shots, namely the threes. That's encouraging because they will start going in more.

  17. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

    Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    If Thunder players aren't taking threes, there will be far less space in which to drive the lane. There's a reason there aren't any "old fashioned" teams anymore.
    Didn't say stop taking threes... Driving the lane causes defenders to collapse and opens people up on the perimeter for 3's... Win/Win

  18. #168

    Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

    Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Didn't say stop taking threes... Driving the lane causes defenders to collapse and opens people up on the perimeter for 3's... Win/Win
    Yeah, that's fair. No disagreement here. My point is just that I think the threes the Thunder are taking are maybe the most encouraging thing I saw in the first three games. Donovan actually made the same point. We're just missing wide open threes. It won't continue at this rate.

  19. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

    Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Yeah, that's fair. No disagreement here. My point is just that I think the threes the Thunder are taking are maybe the most encouraging thing I saw in the first three games. Donovan actually made the same point. We're just missing wide open threes. It won't continue at this rate.
    I don't think it will either. Shots will start to fall.... And they haven't been stellar from the line either but get defenders in foul trouble and it opens things up too.

  20. #170

    Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

    Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Yeah, that's fair. No disagreement here. My point is just that I think the threes the Thunder are taking are maybe the most encouraging thing I saw in the first three games. Donovan actually made the same point. We're just missing wide open threes. It won't continue at this rate.
    OKC Melo lives on!

  21. #171

    Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    OKC Melo lives on!
    The biggest misunderstanding about Melo IMHO is that he was a bad three point shooter last season. He wasn't. He was just above average on high volume, which was really good for the Thunder. Melo's problem is that he took long twos, the ball stuck with him, and he was an awful defender. Melo's three point shooting was the one positive thing he added last season.

  22. #172

    Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

    If Melo eliminated his tendency for isolation long twos and just stuck to shooting mostly threes then he probably wouldn't be on a minimum contract right now.

  23. #173

    Thumbs up Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

    Terrance Ferguson is the last one on the court still taking shots:

    Maddie Lee
    @maddie_m_lee https://twitter.com/maddie_m_lee/sta...03083744538624



    Wish Terrance success with his NBA career.

  24. #174

    Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

    Really bad L last night. Russ was horrible, so I am not sure why we exclusively went to him down the stretch. The last 4-6 possessions by OKC were about as pathetic as you could ask for.

    I am not sure if it is Russ going rogue, or Donovan not having a clue how to get the guys to run a play. There is no excuse to be 0-4 right now. At this point, I would be interested to see what happens if we lose to the Suns (we always have trouble with them) and probably the Clippers (again).

    Someone's head will be rolling soon. You cannot start a season in this competitive Western Conference going 0-5 or 6.

  25. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

    Up 9 with 4+ min to go, the next 8 of 10 shots were 3 pointers for the thunder. At the same time you keep fouling a team that's in the bonus and send them to the line 18 times in the 4th. That's how you shoot yourself out of a game. The natives are starting to get restless.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2018 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread
    By catch22 in forum Transportation
    Replies: 794
    Last Post: 12-31-2018, 08:52 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-16-2018, 09:54 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-27-2018, 06:35 PM
  4. WCWS 2018: Road to Oklahoma City
    By Laramie in forum Sports
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-07-2018, 09:54 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-28-2010, 07:04 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO