Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

1. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

New "city" jerseys this year have a Native American influence. Pretty neat! https://twitter.com/redearthinc/stat...49444594741249

2. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 8.11.22 AM.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	14904

Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

Didn't know the city unis only lasted one year. I loved the greys but these look just as nice.

I'm curious which Indigenous Nations participated in the design of these uniforms. Oklahoma had a long history of marketing it's Native American cultures (e.g., Oklahoma - Native America plates) without much substance, appropriate inclusion, or Indigenous ownership. Of course, the term "Native American" is particularly irrelevant in Oklahoma where incredibly diverse nations with totally different cultures, langauges, and belief systems were forcibly moved into one place. Which nations do these jerseys represent? Who was consulted or included? I am not saying these jerseys are problematic, but based on the poor track record for honoring/representing Indigenous Nations in the state, I start with a skeptical stance. I hope the Thunder/Nike did this the right way.

5. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Which nations do these jerseys represent?
    The nation of New Mexico Turquoise.

6. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I'm curious which Indigenous Nations participated in the design of these uniforms. Oklahoma had a long history of marketing it's Native American cultures (e.g., Oklahoma - Native America plates) without much substance, appropriate inclusion, or Indigenous ownership. Of course, the term "Native American" is particularly irrelevant in Oklahoma where incredibly diverse nations with totally different cultures, langauges, and belief systems were forcibly moved into one place. Which nations do these jerseys represent? Who was consulted or included? I am not saying these jerseys are problematic, but based on the poor track record for honoring/representing Indigenous Nations in the state, I start with a skeptical stance. I hope the Thunder/Nike did this the right way.
    I get the skepticism. I suspect the Thunder ownership is pretty astute on stuff like this, and even if they were not, I don't think Nike would let it slip through. They might speak with a forked tongue when employing children in the third world, but they have a pretty strong commitment to Native and indigenous peoples issues as evidenced by the N7 Fund and their N7 Collection.

N7 began over a decade ago and has been very collaborative: https://news.nike.com/news/first-of-...tive-americans

BEAVERTON, Ore. (25 September, 2007) – Nike today unveiled the Nike Air Native N7, a unique athletic performance shoe designed specifically for Native Americans. The Nike Air Native N7 is the result of nearly two years of collaborative research, development and fit testing in partnership with the Native American community. This first-of-a-kind performance shoe is built on a new and unique last created to address the specific fit and width requirements for the Native American foot. The result is a true Native fitting, performance product.

The Nike Air Native N7 shoe marks another milestone in Nike’s long-standing commitment to Native American communities. Profits from the sale of the Nike Air Native N7 will support “Let Me Play” programs on Native American lands that leverage sport to promote an active and healthy lifestyle.

The Nike Air Native N7 shoe also embraces Nike’s Considered design ethos, where details in the development and design of the shoe are geared to deliver sustainable innovation and reduce waste, without compromising product performance. The Considered design ethos also honors the traditional Native American Seventh Generation philosophy, an approach that respects the impact of decisions made today on seven generations. The shoe’s design draws inspiration directly from Native American culture.

The Nike Air Native N7 shoe and “Let Me Play” programs deepen Nike’s long-term commitments to challenge and address some of the specific health and wellness issues that exist within Native American communities. A strong emphasis was placed on providing a performance product that would cater to the specific needs of Native American foot shapes and help provide motivation to Native Americans predisposed to, or suffering from, health issues that can be improved by leading physically active lifestyles.

As well as being built on a new Native specific last, the shoe is constructed from the inside out to ensure significantly improved comfort and fit. This approach results in reduced seams and layering, while the use of performance foams at key points provides additional cushioning in specific areas of the shoe. In combination these elements help to improve overall fit and help wearers to avoid foot irritations caused by ill-fitting footwear. Creating a shoe designed in this way is another step in helping to promote and sustain physical activity and address health issues prevalent within the Native American community.

“Nike is aware of the growing health issues facing Native Americans,” explained Sam McCracken, Manager of Nike’s Native American Business program. “Through the Nike Air Native N7 we are stepping up our commitment to use our voice on a local, regional and national level to elevate the issue of Native American health and wellness. We believe physical activity can and should be a fundamental part of the health and wellness of all Native Americans.”

“The Nike Air Native N7 marks an important moment for us and is a great example of what can be achieved when we challenge ourselves to innovate for a better world,” said Mark Parker, President and CEO of Nike, Inc. “This product represents innovation beyond athletic performance, helping to improve Native American communities. It also exemplifies Nike’s broader commitment towards sustainable design and community involvement.” The Nike Air Native N7 project has been a true collaboration with the Native American community and key stakeholders engaged in the health and wellness issues surrounding Native American populations. Research has engaged individuals from over 70 tribes as well as consulting podiatrists and members of Indian Health Services and the National Indian Health Board.

“Nike’s development of the Nike Air Native N7 comes at a critical time for the health and well-being of the Native American population,” said Dr. Rodney Stapp, Chief Executive Officer for the Urban Inter-Tribal Center of Texas, one of 36 urban Indian Health Centers funded by I.H.S. and a consulting podiatrist on the Nike Air Native N7 project. “Today, more than ever, we are faced with rising rates of chronic diseases brought on in large part by overweight and inactivity and for which physical activity is a noted step in the prevention of such diseases. The fact that Nike has been a long-time advocate for physical activity on Native Lands through its Native American Business Program speaks volumes to its true understanding of the growing need to tackle Native American health issues with the positive antidote of movement and sport.”
    Also worth noting that the leaked photo was originally shared by Red Earth, which would suggest that they saw it early due to some sort of involvement with or connection to those involved in the design and execution.

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

Oklahoma City Thunder announce preseason schedule: https://www.nba.com/thunder/news/preseason-sked-180731

All preseason games can be heard on the Thunder Radio Network, led by flagship WWLS-The Sports Animal (98.1 FM) in Oklahoma City. The Oct. 7 game versus Atlanta will be televised on FOX Sports Oklahoma, while the other three games will be streamed live on the Thunder App and okcthunder.com.
    DATE OPPONENT Location TIME (CST)
    Oct. 3 Detroit Pistons Oklahoma City, Okla 7 p.m.
    Oct. 5 at Minnesota Timberwolves Minneapolis, Minn. TBD
    Oct 7 Atlanta Hawks Tulsa, Okla 2 p.m.
    Oct 9 Milwaukee Bucks Oklahoma City, Okla 7 p.m.

Blog Entries

Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19 Full/Complete Schedule (ESPN): http://www.espn.com/nba/team/schedul...a-city-thunder

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Oklahoma City Thunder Roster (NBA Thunder site): https://www.nba.com/thunder/roster

I love the Thunder.

It's the shame the NBA is a joke these days, but I love to watch anyway.

Not a completely horrible showing without Russ or Dre. I am excited for this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Not a completely horrible showing without Russ or Dre. I am excited for this season.

This Team played hard, against arguably an all time great roster. They need to improve their shooting, however, getting the 2d unit players time on the court realtime will pay dividends throughout the season. OKC could for sure use at least one more (maybe two) piece (more skilled PF), but I am excited.

Blog Entries

Like what we're seeing with the new additions to the franchise--Schroder/Noel as backups for Westbrook/Adams. Better ball movement, getting team play involved.

If the Thunder can break-even by Westbrook/Roberson's return; that will put us in a position to compete in the WC. Adams was very impressive against GSW; 17 points, 11 rebounds in spite of a stiff back.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd the barber View Post
    It's the shame the NBA is a joke these days, but I love to watch anyway.
    I never understand when people take the time to post outlandish statements, but not the extra 30 seconds to provide any evidence or reason. Lol. I'm curious why you think it's a joke, but have no clue.

My guess is the existence of the GOAT team: Warriors. Which yes does make the league a joke. But following your favorite players and teams and their own storylines is still fun for the hardcore fans.

I love watching Russ and OKC. Regardless of how easy it is to hand GSW a ring each year, it is fun to be an underdog. Russ, Adams, Dre, and PG truly have unfinished business, and I am excited for the mission.

I hate the Warriors like any good OKC fan, but the league has had a few three-peat, "unbeatable" teams in the past (something that will likely happen with GSW, but you never know!)

1952–1954 Minneapolis Lakers
    1959–1966 Boston Celtics (8)
    1991–1993 Chicago Bulls
    1996–1998 Chicago Bulls
    2000–2002 Los Angeles Lakers

It's not exactly new. Rare maybe, but not new.

Regardless of how easy it is to hand GSW a ring each year
    Everyone seems to forget that the Rockets took the Warriors to 7 games, led at half of games 6 and 7, and did so after Chris Paul's injury.

I am as ready for the Warriors to break up as anyone, but calling the entire league a joke seems like a pretty big jump.

Blog Entries

I think it is also a reaction to the signing of Boogie. Got a $200M player (albeit injured) for chump change. The TNT guys were joking last night about the league and what it would take for the Warriors not to win it again - they went thru a list of natural disasters.

I find it interesting that baseball which doesn't have a salary cap
    12 different teams have won the world series since 2000, Giants x3, Red Sox x3, Yankees x2 , Cardinals, x2 , , D-backs, Angels, Marlins, Phillies, Cubs, White Sox, Royals, Astros
    only have 8 have won the NBA title since 2000. Lakers x 5, Spurs x 4, Heat x 3, , Warriors x 3, Mavs x1, Cavs x1, Celtics x1, Pistons x1.

No salary cap but a luxury tax that accomplishes the same.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    I find it interesting that baseball which doesn't have a salary cap
    12 different teams have won the world series since 2000, Giants x3, Red Sox x3, Yankees x2 , Cardinals, x2 , , D-backs, Angels, Marlins, Phillies, Cubs, White Sox, Royals, Astros
    only have 8 have won the NBA title since 2000. Lakers x 5, Spurs x 4, Heat x 3, , Warriors x 3, Mavs x1, Cavs x1, Celtics x1, Pistons x1.
    only 19 NBA teams have ever won the title and 70% of all titles have only been one by 5 teams... the NBA has never really had parity...

Professional soccer leagues have no salary cap or luxury taxes and only a handful of teams tend to win all championships.

Basketball is difficult because there are only 5 players on the court at once. This means having a top player is more important in baseketball than any other major sport. It's hard, but not impossible (see mid-2000s Detroit Pistons, maybe even mid-2010s Spurs) to compete for a title without a top 5-10 player. Having said that, it took a perfect storm for the Warriors to acquire Kevin Durant. I also hate they got Boogie, but interest was pretty low on him due to his injury and there is a risk that he's not effective in their only season they'll have him (no way they have him after this season due to the salary cap). The Warriors are definitely frustrating, but I think we could start to see declines coming this season and in the next few. We'll see...

Starting off 0-3 with an L to the Kings for the home opener with Westbrook back?

Donovan needs to go. Why is Ferguson getting 20 minutes of playtime? So many questions.

A team with Westbrook, George, and Adams should not be choking this badly.

Starting off 0-3 with an L to the Kings for the home opener with Westbrook back?

Donovan needs to go. Why is Ferguson getting 20 minutes of playtime? So many questions.

A team with Westbrook, George, and Adams should not be choking this badly.
    I totally agree its all just so frustrating again after last years debacle and now this year its a new set of problems and more frustration.

1. Coach is not good at in-game decisions and lineups and is ok with the team shooting 35 to 40 3 pt attempts even though we are a league worst at it or close to it
    2. Defense was suppose to be our strength with all the so called uber athletes we have....so far its a big fat fail
    3. Offense is Offensive....couldn't hit the water if they were standing in the boat
    4. The west is once again tough and now we have new contenders like Denver and especially New orleans, not to mention Golden state and Houston and Portland. Starting 0-3 is not what you wanted and Boston comes to town and we are seriously looking at 0-4
    5. I feel like the door is closing on the thunder ever getting back to where we were. Its sad to think we had 3 hall of fame players on the same team and have nothing to show for it.
    6. Yeah im pissed again this year and the team and the owners should be as well because this is not a good product we are putting on the floor

Thread Information