Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

I really think some of you are over thinking this issue about the Blue. On the list of priorities for the Thunder, attendance for the Blue is near the bottom. The goal of the Blue is to develop players, then coaches.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    I really think some of you are over thinking this issue about the Blue. On the list of priorities for the Thunder, attendance for the Blue is near the bottom. The goal of the Blue is to develop players, then coaches.
    Couldn't hurt to develop players where you put them in a city where they will draw bigger crowds; you challenge their skills under pressure. Minor league farm basketball doesn't mirror the college environment from where most of these players were elevated.

You have Thunder rookies who played at storied programs like Kentucky, South Carolina, Connecticut & Iowa State; they are accustomed to being in the showtime spotlight. You assign them to the 'Blue' where on a good night you might draw 300 fans in a spacious black tarped arena retrofitted for 9,000 where you could hear a bird tweet or a commode flush in the nearest restroom while a player shoots a free throw.

Put our development team in a situation where they continue to perform in front of more fans. The Thunder 'Loud City' fan experience should carry-over from the players minor league development.

There are cities that would welcome a G-League franchise into their communities. Wichita, Lawton or Enid take your pick. It would be better than the drafty environment they are in right now.

3. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    I understand this and clearly acknowledged that these things are obviously the Thunder’s priority. My point isn’t about ticket sales for the Blue so much as it is about developing NBA (and Thunder) fans in a nearby city. I promise it has been considered by the organization - and I’d also expect that the marketing people share my opinion about Wichita - but the basketball operations people won out for the reasons you (and I) already cited.

4. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

Also to be clear Enid and Lawton are not even close to being in the same ballpark as Wichita, which is very comparable to Tulsa in population and demographics - actually with a higher median household income than Tulsa - for those who aren’t familiar with our neighbor to the north.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Also to be clear Enid and Lawton are not even close to being in the same ballpark as Wichita, which is very comparable to Tulsa in population and demographics - actually with a higher median household income than Tulsa - for those who aren’t familiar with our neighbor to the north.
    I fully understand that! I was just proposing a compromise to keep the players close and helping branch the brand out a little further from OKC. Building some brand equity with Army people in Lawton isn’t bad as they will literally be all over the world when they finish training.

Hey, I’d love to see it, but seems the Thunder has moved away from the market for whatever reason.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    There are cities that would welcome a G-League franchise into their communities. Wichita, Lawton or Enid take your pick. It would be better than the drafty environment they are in right now.
    Didn’t work in Tulsa...sure won’t work in Lawton or Enid. Not in Wichita either.

Thunder wants the flexibility given with them being in the same city. Isn’t just on game day. Their training facility, medical staff, coaching, etc is right here with lots of daily interaction and sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Didn’t work in Tulsa...sure won’t work in Lawton or Enid. Not in Wichita either.

Thunder wants the flexibility given with them being in the same city. Isn’t just on game day. Their training facility, medical staff, coaching, etc is right here with lots of daily interaction and sharing.
    Born and raised in Lawton, definitely would not work there. Lawton is losing population, hanging on barely because of Ft. Sill whose soldier population is declining

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post

If it doesn't work in Tulsa, and attendance is terrible in OKC, obviously attendance isn't a big deal either way. If it's operating at a loss, might as well get some brand equity out of it outside of OKC.

Blog Entries

Agree or disagree with the trend toward minor league franchises that act as the top farm system below the majors; in MLB baseball, NBA basketball & NHL hockey the development clubs are moving into the city, close to the metro area of the major league city or within a 100-mile radius. Here are a sample of examples that involve NBA & G-League/MLB & AAA minor league & NHL & AAA minor league affiliates:

NBA/G-League affiliate:

Oklahoma City Thunder/Oklahoma City Blue
    Utah Jazz/Salt Lake City Stars
    Memphis Grizzlies/Memphis Hustle
    Chicago Bulls/Windy City Bulls
    Washington Wizards/Capitol City Go-Go

Golden State Warriors/Santa Cruz Warriors
    Sacramento Kings/Stockton Kings
    Phoenix Suns/Northern Arizona Suns

Major League Baseball/AAA affiliate:

Cleveland Indians/Columbus Clippers
    Cincinnati Reds/Louisville Bats
    Philadelphia Phillies/Lehigh Valley IronPigs
    Seattle Mariners/Tacoma Rainiers
    Toronto Bluejays/Buffalo Bisons

National Hockey League/AAA affiliate:

Toronto Maple Leafs/Toronto Marlies
    Pittsburgh Penguins/Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
    Carolina (Raleigh) Hurricanes/Charlotte Checkers
    Philadelphia Flyers/Lehigh Valley Phantoms
    Columbus Blue Jackets/Cleveland Monsters
    Buffalo Sabres/Rochester Americans

Just an observation of a trend with major league/minor league top affiliate in sports. You don't have this in football because the NFL has collegiate football as its minor league breeding grounds.

Blog Entries

Notice the strange MLB affiliation between AL Cleveland & IL-AAA Columbus and NHL Raleigh & AHL Charlotte where MSA #32. Columbus is slightly larger than #33. Cleveland and #22. Charlotte has a much larger MSA than #43. Raleigh.

MLB: AL Cleveland Indians/IL AAA Columbus Clippers
    NHL Carolina (Raleigh) Hurricanes/AHL AAA Charlotte Checkers

Tale of Oklahoma's two arch rival blood-thirsty cities; has it really gotten that bad?

Why do you think a close affiliation between MSA #41. Oklahoma City & #54. Tulsa didn't work in the NBA/G-League; would OKC (larger city) have been willing to be a minor league affiliate of a smaller city like Tulsa had our sister city obtained an MLS franchise with OKC as the USL affiliate?

Blog Entries

Thunder win total in Vegas is 50.5. Houston 54.5. GS 62.5.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    If it doesn't work in Tulsa, and attendance is terrible in OKC, obviously attendance isn't a big deal either way. If it's operating at a loss, might as well get some brand equity out of it outside of OKC.
    They already have brand equity. They need good player development and being in the same city facilitates that greatly.

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

ESPN NBA Oklahoma City Thunder Schedule/Results - 2018-19: http://www.espn.com/nba/team/schedul...a-city-thunder

Thunder will be on ABC Primetime on Saturday 3 times this year. 2 times on NBA on ABC Sunday Showcase
    Thunder will be on ESPN 10 times
    Thunder will be on TNT 11 times
    NBA TV 7 times
    33 games on National TV this year

Regionally, 70 of the Thunder's 82 regular-season games will be broadcast on FOX Sports Oklahoma, which reaches viewers in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska. All games can be heard via the Thunder Radio Network, led by flagship station WWLS-The Sports Animal (98.1 FM) in Oklahoma City
    Oklahoma City Thunder New Release: https://www.nba.com/thunder/news/release-schedule-1819

So does the Thunder TV region include Stl and KC?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6BE83868-FD58-4BF5-AA4B-9D7811AC15F5.jpeg 
Views:	237 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	14849

17. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Honestly I wish the Blue were in Wichita. I know they prefer being able to keep their two-way guys close, plus evaluate guys, share staff, etc., but the Blue sees very little crowd due to the availability of A-list product across the street 41+ nights per year, and I’ll bet Wichita would pack Intrust for them. Tulsa didn’t work because Tulsans refused to lower themselves to being a farm city for OKC in any way, but people in Wichita don’t have any of that seething rivalry/esentment whatsoever.
    I totally agree with this and often wondered why Wichita was not given a chance. I am aware of many folks from wichita who come down for thunder games, and given the city's lack of sports scene - I agree that they would pack it for the NBA development games as many of the athletes make it on up. Very impressed with Wichita's support of OKC Thunder, I bet theyd love to have the farm team - unlike Tulsa who now has nothing (no WNBA, no G/D-League).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

18. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    KC yes, STL no (they belong to Chicago).

Looks like we also have Omaha and Little Rock, along with Wichita which we all already knew. Surprised LIT doesn't belong to Memphis but I suppose they must have chosen OKC's better product over the closer Memphis.

19. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

ESPN NBA Oklahoma City Thunder Schedule/Results - 2018-19: http://www.espn.com/nba/team/schedul...a-city-thunder
    Thunder will be on ABC Primetime on Saturday 3 times this year. 2 times on NBA on ABC Sunday Showcase
    Thunder will be on ESPN 10 times
    Thunder will be on TNT 11 times
    NBA TV 7 times
    33 games on National TV this year

Oklahoma City Thunder New Release: https://www.nba.com/thunder/news/release-schedule-1819
    You forgot some games.

abc +1 Christmas Day game (total of 6, tied for the most for the network - same as last year btw)
    nbatv +2 (total of 9)

Grand total national games = 36 (same as last year, by far the most of any small market city)

I also think there's a chance OKC could get a few more national games, UTAH comes to mind (+2) and perhaps @ATL (+1). I also consider the @Toronto game as national televised since it is on TSN. So we could get to 40 games. I think we got a few extra games last year too.

Also, appears OKC will have less home games televised nationally overall compared to last year when it was more even (and years past when it was more home games than away). I suppose this gives OKC more time to get construction finished for the networks to showcase more home games in 2019-2020.

Blog Entries

Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19 roster: http://www.espn.com/nba/team/roster/...a-city-thunder

00 Russell Westbrook PG $35,654,150
    13 Paul George SF $30,560,700
    08 Steven Adams C $24,157,303
    17 Dennis Schroder PG $15,500,000
    21 Andre Roberson SG $10,000,000
    09 Jerami Grant SF $8,653,847
    08 Alex Abrines SG $5,455,236
    54 Patrick Patterson PF $5,451,600
    15 Kyle Singler SF $4,996,000
    23 Terrance Ferguson SG $2,118,840
    03 Nerlens Noel C $1,757,429
    07 Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot SG $1,544,951
    02 Raymond Felton PG $1,512,601
    - - Abdel Nader SF $1,378,242 https://www.nba.com/thunder/news/nader-180723

G-League: Oklahoma City Blue

- - Hamidou Diallo SG $838,464 https://www.nba.com/thunder/news/diallo-180728
    30 Deonte Burton SF Iowa State https://www.nba.com/thunder/summerle...eburton-180708
    34 *Tyler Davis F/C Texas A&M
    - - *Devon Hall SG Virginia
    - - Kevin Hervey PF Texas-Arlington

Unsigned NBA Free Agency:

3 Corey Brewer SG 32 6-9 186 Florida
    34 Josh Huestis SG 26 6-7 230 Stanford

14 solid roster spots appear to be filled with Abdel Nader SF who hasn't been assigned a number are we set for 2018-19?

* Signed two-way player contract.

The only notes I'll add:
    - Diallo signed a 3-year contract with the Thunder officially so he's on the roster; But yeah, he'll likely spend time with the Blue
    - Nader's official date was pushed back to September 1st so we should know soon if he's on the roster
    - Surely a Singler waive or trade is coming soon...
    - Devon Hall did not sign a two-way contract; He signed to play in Australia; Word is he might be with the Blue the Australian season ends, the Blue season will still be going
    - Burton and Davis are the 2 two-way contracts

Same here, Lawton's only 79 miles from OKC. What about Enid, a city whose largest employer Continental Resources (Harold Hamm) relocated to OKC. We could at least offer Enid (68 miles from OKC) an olive branch. Enid, was once home to the Oklahoma Storm, coached by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in 2002.

The Enid Blue would potentially draw more fans in Enid's 2,500-seat Mark Price Arena than in a tarped off 9,000 seat spacious 44 year convention center arena across from The Peake. Enid is about an 1 hour 10 minutes drive from OKC--easy call up on a 12 hour notice. You know why Tulsa or Bixby (Tulsa suburb) didn't want to be OKC's G-League affiliate.

Oklahoma City Blue couldn't draw 1,500 fans or give away that many tickets on its best day, let alone average 1,500 as the USBL Oklahoma Storm did in 2002..
    Mark Price Arena doesn't exist anymore. It is now a the CNB Grand Ballroom. If the Blue played here, they would have to play in the arena which holds 3,500 people. Enid won't work also because the lack of a major airport.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kwhey View Post
    Mark Price Arena doesn't exist anymore. It is now a the CNB Grand Ballroom. If the Blue played here, they would have to play in the arena which holds 3,500 people. Enid won't work also because the lack of a major airport.
    Is Woodring Regional Airport still in operation? Didn't realize the airport situation would be a problem since most of the NBA & G-League cities use charter flights--Enid's less than 70 miles from OKC. The 6,000-seat Garfield County Expo Center (formerly Chisholm Trail Coliseum) was used on occasions by the USBL Oklahoma Storm coached by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in 2002. The franchise disbanded when the league dissolved in 2007.

Don't know how long the Cox Convention Center will be in operations once the new OKC Convention Center complex is completed. Maybe the Blue will use State Fair Arena, Capitol Hill H.S. Arena or INTEGRIS Health Thunder Development Center.

Blog Entries

Kyle Singler to be waived by Oklahoma City Thunder: Report

By Tim Brown tbrown@oregonian.com
    The Oregonian/OregonLive

Best of luck to Kyle Singler

Former South Medford High School star and Oregon native Kyle Singler is being waived by the Oklahoma City Thunder, according to a report from Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.

The Thunder are using the stretch provision on Singler, who is set to make $5 million in the final year of his five-year, $25 million contract with Oklahoma City, to mitigate the financial impact of the luxury and salary tax they will incur this season.

Unless a team claims Singler, he will become a free agent upon clearing waivers and is free to negotiate a deal with other NBA teams.

Is Woodring Regional Airport still in operation? Didn't realize the airport situation would be a problem since most of the NBA & G-League cities use charter flights--Enid's less than 70 miles from OKC. The 6,000-seat Garfield County Expo Center (formerly Chisholm Trail Coliseum) was used on occasions by the USBL Oklahoma Storm coached by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in 2002. The franchise disbanded when the league dissolved in 2007.

Don't know how long the Cox Convention Center will be in operations once the new OKC Convention Center complex is completed. Maybe the Blue will use State Fair Arena, Capitol Hill H.S. Arena or INTEGRIS Health Thunder Development Center.
    Woodring is still in operation but not up to standards. It had been the backbreaker.

Thread Information