Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    I know for a fact there was significant tension between melo and adams over Melo's work ethic, or lack there of. Melo has always out talented just about everybody over the years, but now he's 34, out of shape, and his talent diminished. The reason Lebron has held up so well is lebron out works everyone AND is supremely talented. Melo just had supreme talent and an eh work ethic. That works at 24 not so much at 34.
    Good point, Gopokes88,

Talented LeBron maintained his weight & kept in shape and worked out.

Talented Carmelo increased his weight, out of shape and worked out at the table.

A tale of two NBA players.

Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

LeBron is not a good comparison considering he's probably the best, most athletic 33 year old in NBA history. Literally, every player from his draft class compared against LeBron looks old and slow. Here is every active player remaining from the 2003 draft that is either on an NBA roster or will likely end up on one: Kyle Korver, LeBron James, Jose Calderon, David West, Zaza Pachulia, Dwyane Wade, and Carmelo Anthony. Notice a theme among non-LeBron guys: they're old, slow, and barely play. You could use age instead of draft class and find a few good players mixed in against a lot of old, slow players too.

I can't really speak to Melo's work ethic. If there were any tensions with teammates, it's breaking here on OKCTalk because I've never heard one peep of it elsewhere. Not saying it's not true, just that Melo has been repeatedly reported as very popular among his teammates. I agree that Melo is struggling to mentally adjust to his diminishing skills, but I just think the hate for him is over the top. Melo changed chose OKC, changed his game, and teammates liked him. But, he thinks he's better than he is and everyone just constantly bashes him like he was terrible all season when he played his role decently for the first 2/3rds of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    LeBron is not a good comparison considering he's probably the best, most athletic 33 year old in NBA history. Literally, every player from his draft class compared against LeBron looks old and slow. Here is every active player remaining from the 2003 draft that is either on an NBA roster or will likely end up on one: Kyle Korver, LeBron James, Jose Calderon, David West, Zaza Pachulia, Dwyane Wade, and Carmelo Anthony. Notice a theme among non-LeBron guys: they're old, slow, and barely play. You could use age instead of draft class and find a few good players mixed in against a lot of old, slow players too.

I can't really speak to Melo's work ethic. If there were any tensions with teammates, it's breaking here on OKCTalk because I've never heard one peep of it elsewhere. Not saying it's not true, just that Melo has been repeatedly reported as very popular among his teammates. I agree that Melo is struggling to mentally adjust to his diminishing skills, but I just think the hate for him is over the top. Melo changed chose OKC, changed his game, and teammates liked him. But, he thinks he's better than he is and everyone just constantly bashes him like he was terrible all season when he played his role decently for the first 2/3rds of the season.
    +1

Blog Entries

Slightly disagree. Expectations for Melo were high, we all admit that. Here's where Anthony got some criticism:

'17-'18 OKC 3PM-A 169-474 3P% .357, PPG 16.2 FG% .433
    '16-'17 NYK 3PM-A 151-421 3P% .359, PPG 22.4 FG% .434

Many times Carmelo was wide open on 3s. It wasn't about hate; Carmelo made excuses for his bad performance as he claims he would have played better at the 3 instead of the 4. CA did show a slight improvement on defense. He did have to share the spotlight with Westbrook & George.

Anthony's cheeks looked like a blow fish with a food pantry stored in his jaws. The Nuggets' Anthony we knew was a Thunder killer at the height of his career with Denver.

How about those 2 missed free throws at Boston ? Cost us the game. Polished veteran that he should be should hit at least one if not both. It's reality not hate, Melo is over the hill physically but can not accept it in his mind. He wasn't on the court too long during games to where he was walking back on the offensive possessions. From day one he didn't want competition for his position.... he said he was starting. It took a 25 point come back win against the Jazz to expose the situation where he argued with Cheeks wanting back in the game.

Royce young has hinted at it several times on his paywall podcast, and I have a source that works for the team that mentioned it to me.

And I said nothing of the sort that he was terrible. I just said he and Adams butted heads over his work ethic, which he has a reputation over the years that he isn’t a first in the gym last out type guy. Lebron is, that’s why he doesn’t look 34, and melo does.

Blog Entries

Thunder Announces 2018 Preseason Schedule: https://www.nba.com/thunder/news/preseason-sked-180731

OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER 2018 PRESEASON SCHEDULE

DATE__________OPPONENT__________Location__________ TIME_____(CDT)

Oct. 3 _____ vs. Detroit Pistons _____ Oklahoma City _____ 7 p.m.
    Oct. 5 _____ at Minnesota Timberwolves _____ Minneapolis _____ TBD
    Oct. 7 _____ vs. Atlanta Hawks _____ Tulsa, Okla. _____ 2 p.m.
    Oct. 9 _____ vs. Milwaukee Bucks _____ Oklahoma City _____ 7 p.m.

So, we’re mad Carmelo shot at the same percentages as his previous year before OKC acquired him? And, that he missed two free throws in a single game (Russ had a season-long free throw problem that’s never mentioned)? And, that he wanted to play in a game? I’m surprised people are so mad at a player for being competitive and wanting to play. Melo was clearly promised a big, starting role by the team. Why is no one mad at Presti for bringing in Melo with that understanding?

Remember which episodes? I listen to Dream Team and cant remember hearing that... I did take break, but I’d think Down to Dunk would have mentioned it.

It’s the one where Royce talks about melo showing up for a playoff (a playoff!!!) game 2 hours extra early because he thought it was at 7pm, but it was an 830 start. Around that time he mentions it.

And no, none of the guys on down to dunk are even a fraction as connected as Royce.

Okay, I’ll go back and listen for it. But the DTD guys (Andrew, Hamm) are literally owners of the podcast where you’re claiming this news broke... and if Royce had shared this then they’d know. So, that’s a weird point to make.

Okay, I’ll go back and listen for it. But the DTD guys (Andrew, Hamm) are literally owners of the podcast where you’re claiming this news broke... and if Royce had shared this then they’d know. So, that’s a weird point to make.
    They actually are all co owners. Hamm doesn’t go on DTD very much anymore, and they intentionally try not to have too much crossover between the two.

And lol “news broke”. It’s really not that juicy of a topic

Well, it’s contradicting a season’s worth of reporting that repeated over and over again on Melo’s popularity and likability in the locker room. Again, I’m not doubting you as I have to go back and listen, but I’ve never seen it written anywhere.

Well, it’s contradicting a season’s worth of reporting that repeated over and over again on Melo’s popularity and likability in the locker room. Again, I’m not doubting you as I have to go back and listen, but I’ve never seen it written anywhere.
    He wasn’t a cancer or anything. He was popular. But there was tension between him and Adams about his work ethic.
    It’s more nuanced than just good guy/ bad guy

Blog Entries

Oklahoma City ESPN Thunder Roster update: http://www.espn.com/nba/team/roster/...a-city-thunder

Salary update: Hamidou Diallo SG 20 6-5 198 Kentucky $838,464

15. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Thunder Announces 2018 Preseason Schedule: https://www.nba.com/thunder/news/preseason-sked-180731
    OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER 2018 PRESEASON SCHEDULE

DATE__________OPPONENT__________Location__________ TIME_____(CDT)
    Oct. 3 _____ vs. Detroit Pistons _____ Oklahoma City _____ 7 p.m.
    Oct. 5 _____ at Minnesota Timberwolves _____ Minneapolis _____ TBD
    Oct. 7 _____ vs. Atlanta Hawks _____ Tulsa, Okla. _____ 2 p.m.
    Oct. 9 _____ vs. Milwaukee Bucks _____ Oklahoma City _____ 7 p.m.
    too bad we don't send any pre-season games to Wichita anymore. ... It is a nice catchment market for OKC and they support the Thunder big time as an extended home. I'd like to see 6 preseason games; 1 in Tulsa every year for sure and 1 in Wichita (maybe rotating with say KC/Omaha).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    too bad we don't send any pre-season games to Wichita anymore. ... It is a nice catchment market for OKC and they support the Thunder big time as an extended home. I'd like to see 6 preseason games; 1 in Tulsa every year for sure and 1 in Wichita (maybe rotating with say KC/Omaha).
    Wish they would allow NBA teams to farm out all preseason games; especially to potential expansion-relocation markets. Lakers played a few preseason games in the early years of the Ford Center; then you know the rest of the story post Katrina.

The Seattle & Louisville markets are potential U. S. cities high on expansion-relocation for the NBA. Global markets for the NBA include Mexico City & Vancouver.

17. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

Honestly I wish the Blue were in Wichita. I know they prefer being able to keep their two-way guys close, plus evaluate guys, share staff, etc., but the Blue sees very little crowd due to the availability of A-list product across the street 41+ nights per year, and I’ll bet Wichita would pack Intrust for them. Tulsa didn’t work because Tulsans refused to lower themselves to being a farm city for OKC in any way, but people in Wichita don’t have any of that seething rivalry/esentment whatsoever.

^^^ agree. I’ve always thought it was ridiculous that our farm team is in the same city. I’d love for Wichita to have it, or he’ll even Lawton would probably work okay. The Lawton Rangers or something. I bet the army attendance would beat whatever is happening in the Cox center.

I wish OKC played preseason games in Wichita, but I’m not sure a G League team would be that well attended. When the Thunder played a preseason game there (Harden’s last Thunder game), you could easily get tickets. They might draw 5,000, but not 15,000. Wichita St., KSU, and Kansas will always be bigger draws and it’s hard to compete against something with real stakes. But, I wonder why the Thunder quit with the preseason games there...

I’m not sure any G league game will ever be that well attended. I think the thunder factored this into the decision into moving them too okc.

Yea i can't believe they charge for Blue games honestly. They should let them be free and make money from the concessions.

i believe some of the G league teams play at the NBA's team practice facility.

Tulsa had a professional franchise and couldn't support that (the Shock).

As a season ticket holder i wish the thunder only had 1 home preseason game. Give the others to other cities who are dying for NBA preseason games. My wife worked for a company who had an office in Tulsa. On the day of the preseason game many of the workers would take off early and make it a huge event, go to dinner and what not for a preseason game.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    Yea i can't believe they charge for Blue games honestly. They should let them be free and make money from the concessions.

i believe some of the G league teams play at the NBA's team practice facility.

Tulsa had a professional franchise and couldn't support that (the Shock).

As a season ticket holder i wish the thunder only had 1 home preseason game. Give the others to other cities who are dying for NBA preseason games. My wife worked for a company who had an office in Tulsa. On the day of the preseason game many of the workers would take off early and make it a huge event, go to dinner and what not for a preseason game.
    I agree with all your sentinments. Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Blog Entries

Perhaps it might make a difference, attendance wise, if, like MLB, NBA players had rehab starts with the farm team, not that that would really work well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    ^^^ agree. I’ve always thought it was ridiculous that our farm team is in the same city. I’d love for Wichita to have it, or he’ll even Lawton would probably work okay. The Lawton Rangers or something. I bet the army attendance would beat whatever is happening in the Cox center.
    Same here, Lawton's only 79 miles from OKC. What about Enid, a city whose largest employer Continental Resources (Harold Hamm) relocated to OKC. We could at least offer Enid (68 miles from OKC) an olive branch. Enid, was once home to the Oklahoma Storm, coached by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in 2002.

The Enid Blue would potentially draw more fans in Enid's 2,500-seat Mark Price Arena than in a tarped off 9,000 seat spacious 44 year convention center arena across from The Peake. Enid is about an 1 hour 10 minutes drive from OKC--easy call up on a 12 hour notice. You know why Tulsa or Bixby (Tulsa suburb) didn't want to be OKC's G-League affiliate.

Bryant said the Storm sold 800 season tickets last year; the overall attendance average the last two seasons in Enid was about 1,500, which is considered good in the USBL. Storm successfully captured the USBL championship under head coach Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in 2002, defeating Kansas with a final score of 122–109.
    Oklahoma City Blue couldn't draw 1,500 fans or give away that many tickets on its best day, let alone average 1,500 as the USBL Oklahoma Storm did in 2002..

25. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2018-19

I wish OKC played preseason games in Wichita, but I’m not sure a G League team would be that well attended. When the Thunder played a preseason game there (Harden’s last Thunder game), you could easily get tickets. They might draw 5,000, but not 15,000. Wichita St., KSU, and Kansas will always be bigger draws and it’s hard to compete against something with real stakes. But, I wonder why the Thunder quit with the preseason games there...
    I think the difference is that they would have “Wichita” on their jerseys. Just a gut feel. Not predicting sellouts. - my wording - “pack Intrust” wasn’t intended to indicate sellouts; only brisk ticket sales - just saying they would probably get very respectable attendance.

Thread Information