Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urban Outfitters

Large Chain Urban Outfitters

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/r...1abfb80fc.html

Urban Outfitters is bringing its stylish brand to Tulsa with the opening next year of a store at 3340 S. Peoria Ave.

The two-story, 9,000-square-foot store, scheduled to open in mid-February 2015
    Bodes well for an OKC location.

Still think they'll end up in Glimcher's project at 63rd & Western.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Urban Outfitters

It's supposed to go in at 32nd and Peoria in Brookside.

This would be so cool in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Agree. UO needs to change direction a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/r...1abfb80fc.html

Bodes well for an OKC location.

Still think they'll end up in Glimcher's project at 63rd & Western.
    Seems like it would fit pretty well in uptown too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    OKC hipsters seems pretty dedicated to Blue Seven. Would UO compete well with them?

Blog Entries

Yeah, why doesn't Blue Seven open in AA? Seems like a fit. More than N. May, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    OKC hipsters seems pretty dedicated to Blue Seven. Would UO compete well with them?
    Urban Outfitters Profit Falls 20%

My comment was somewhat serious. UO has peaked and is in somewhat decline. Not going to go bankrupt or anything but not growing either. I'm not saying we should be mad they are coming but we are getting this when their popularity is falling not rising. A true hipster wouldn't even go inside an UO. A corporate guy with money dressing like a hipster goes to UO.

Blog Entries

I'm no hipster, and don't consider myself remotely fashionable, so take this for the little it's probably worth. But the one time I went into a UO my reaction was, "who would even wear this stuff?"

That said, I still hope we get one. But yeah I would speculate it's going into Classen Curve if so.

I like the idea of a Blue 7 in AA though. I took my sister from NYC there when she was here and she loved it and I'm certain other tourists downtown would as well. But then again she might be crazy because she bought an $80 OKC ball cap. I love that place and this town and my sister (and am glad she put that NYC-earned money into the OKC economy), but an $80 ball cap? Ouch!

Blue 7 in AA would be great! Or the Plaza District. I once thought UO could be a good Broadway store but now I really like the idea of a totally local shopping experience there. I don't go to Blue 7 much now because I rarely go to May Ave.

In Ohio, UO and Anthro always follow eachother. Tulsa appears to be following the same pattern. UO is going to N Western and 63rd - it will at least be the same proximity as Brookside-to-Utica Square.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Blue 7 in AA would be great! Or the Plaza District. I once thought UO could be a good Broadway store but now I really like the idea of a totally local shopping experience there. I don't go to Blue 7 much now because I rarely go to May Ave.
    Agree. UO is kinda done. Blue 7 carries enough local fare that it will always be relevant and you don't end up looking like a catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    In Ohio, UO and Anthro always follow eachother. Tulsa appears to be following the same pattern. UO is going to N Western and 63rd - it will at least be the same proximity as Brookside-to-Utica Square.
    Brookside has become more of a retail destination in recent years, and somewhat declined as a nightlife spot as new places opened in Brady and Blue Dome downtown. Brookside is probably the most walkable area outside of downtown though, at least right around 33rd-36th & Peoria. Still lots of work to be done on the south end toward 41st, similar to the challenges of Western toward 50th in OKC. Western and Peoria share many of the same characteristics.

Betts, I hope you understand that all "chains" were local at one point or another. Just because a store gets successful and expands doesn't mean it is bad.

Agreed. I don't think we think big enough with Western Ave (I mean hell, the OKC/Edmond residents who work at ODOT are ending it in a cul-de-sac downtown). Brookside is absolutely what we should be looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Betts, I hope you understand that all "chains" were local at one point or another. Just because a store gets successful and expands doesn't mean it is bad.
    Of course I understand that. I like chains that offer something we don't have here. I think West Elm will be good. I would like a Restoration Hardware and CB2. Crate and Barrel I care less about because it's less original. But I think its nice to have areas without chains, especially close to downtown. When I'm visiting other cities, I particularly like the areas that have stores that are one of a kind, that I've never seen before. I'd like Auto Alley to be one of those places.

Of course I understand that. I like chains that offer something we don't have here. I think West Elm will be good. I would like a Restoration Hardware and CB2. Crate and Barrel I care less about because it's less original. But I think its nice to have areas without chains, especially close to downtown. When I'm visiting other cities, I particularly like the areas that have stores that are one of a kind, that I've never seen before. I'd like Auto Alley to be one of those places.
    I hear you

The Brookside store opens tomorrow Feb 19. They did a nice write up of places to check out in Tulsa. Urban Outfitters - Blog - UO Guide: Tulsa, Oklahoma

I for sure don't want to see downtown turn into a strip mall of small, unoriginal chain stores. BUT, I do think a major, unique national brand ALONGSIDE all of the one-of-a-kind boutique stores you now see in AA would be outstanding. Not only for me as a consumer, but also for those boutique stores in the same general area.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    The Brookside store opens tomorrow Feb 19. They did a nice write up of places to check out in Tulsa. Urban Outfitters - Blog - UO Guide: Tulsa, Oklahoma
    My friend actually wrote that for them.

I think Urban Outfitters would do well downtown, although I'm not sure there's currently a big enough space for them on AA or elsewhere. I remember years back I probably posted on this thread that the real estate person for Urban Outfitters in this district, told my daughter they were looking both downtown and on Western, as well as considering Penn Square. At the time, they preferred a freestanding location with a "grittier" feel, she told my daughter. The districts were redrawn as they added stores, and so the real estate person changed and I heard no more news.

While it's a chain, it feels less like one than, for example, a GAP, and so it wouldn't be as glaring a difference between it and local stores. We'll get one eventually since they were looking hard pre-2008.

While it's a chain, it feels less like one than, for example, a GAP, and so it wouldn't be as glaring a difference between it and local stores. We'll get one eventually since they were looking hard pre-2008.
    It would have been a much bigger deal if they would have entered the market pre-2008. Urban Outfitters is really past their peak at this point. It's like a market getting their first Hollister in 2007. It was still relevant at that point but it was on its way out.

Charlotte's location is in Southpark Mall, which is a very upscale mall ala NorthPark in Dallas, so its not like they are completely opposed to mall locations. If they are interested in OKC their best bet is to just go into Penn Square or Glimcher.

To echo Betts and BChris, it's really kind of funny.

When I first started visiting this site and when the first Urban Outfitters rumors started, I thought "Wow, that would be great for OKC." Now, it's been so long and the world has changed so much that I don't even hear about Urban Outfitters anymore. I was in Knoxville, TN last year with a friend and they had one in their downtown area. She started laughing and said "Remember when that was cool? We certainly don't need to waste any time going in there when there are local places to check out."

The Factory on Broadway is way cooler than Urban Outfitters could ever hope to be.

The Factory on Broadway is way cooler than Urban Outfitters could ever hope to be.
    And with places like Plenty and the multiple furniture stores/t-shirt companies in the area I don't think that there is a need for an Urban Outfitters. If anything, I would much rather see a Blue 7 come in vs UO.

Thread Information