Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Carvana

Default Re: Carvana

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I know that a local dealer can basically find whatever car you want and have it shipped to them.

That's how it works most the time but if you just didn't want to work with the local dealer for whatever reason, I didn't realize it was that simple to buy from out of state. I thought there were issues about tagging and paying tax but I guess they just figure that out.
    Just make sure the dealership you buy from isn't about to go bankrupt. We had a horror story buying our van from a dealer in Dallas, built the transfer of the title and the tag to OK into financing and everything. After a month of not receiving our tag or any documentation in the mail, we started to ask questions. The dealership went out of business. It took us a YEAR to get our tag, and even then it was a Texas tag, and we had to jump through some hoops to get it transferred without paying outrageous penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird View Post
    Jackie Cooper I assume? My wife and I both bought cars there a few (8) years back and it was the worst experience I’ve ever had.

For our last 4 or 5 purchases we have just found what we wanted online and emailed dealers across the country to price shop. We then just have them delivered, usually anywhere from $500 - $1500. Well worth the time and money savings.
    For the last new car I purchased, I did a bunch of pricing research with the goal of establishing what I thought would be the lowest price I could reasonably expect to pay for the car I wanted. I got pricing information for the baseline model plus options I wanted, figured out the so-called "invoice" price, then started taking off things like dealer holdback, floorplan allowances, and regional incentives (offered at that time), and then made an allowance for the dealer's "overhead" on the car.

I took that number and folded it up, put it in a folder, then set up a burner Google email account and sent three RFP's to Toyota dealers around town, telling them the exact make, color, model, trimline, and options I wanted, and told them to send me their "Best and Final out-the-door cash price," deliverable no later than a date certain, and explicitly inclusive of any nonsense like "Dealer fees," "doc prep fees," and a few other similar permutations. All three responded. One dealer barely gave me an offer below MSRP, which was obviously a loser. Another dealer gave me an offer that, IIRC, was about $2K below sticker, but still not competitive.

The winning dealer missed my calculated take price by *exactly* $50.

I wrote them back and accepted their offer pending my inspection of their vehicle, and that very car is in my driveway now with 133,000 miles and a happy wife still driving it daily

I doubt I'll buy a truly new car anytime soon, if ever, but when I can make a really good educated guess what a car truly costs, I'll let the dealers chase me if I possibly can.

3. Default Re: Carvana

Quote Originally Posted by foodiefan View Post
    . . after trying to work with the local Infiniti dealer, ended up with Sewell in Dallas (purchasing a previously leased vehicle). Worked via email and then went down to test drive. About 1 1/2 hours total test drive and purchase. Tax and tagging no problem. Stellar salesman and buying experience. . .and when I'm in the Dallas area I can pop in for a free car wash.
    I've noticed a lot of cars around OKC with the Sewell nameplate on them. They're doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    I've noticed a lot of cars around OKC with the Sewell nameplate on them. They're doing something right.
    i can't believe people actually leave dealer nameplates on their cars.

that's the first thing I do when I reach a deal on a car, "Take those nameplates off and don't scratch the car while you're at it!"

It’s on my list of “stuff not important enough for me to really even think about”.

6. Default Re: Carvana

interesting, no Carvana in Seattle. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

So funny note.. I got a new car from the Carvana vending machine Friday night. The machine jammed. Multiple times. They were running behind when I got there for my appointment, and with each use they had to call into tech support, because it got jammed every time.

So yes, it does live up to the vending machine jokes. And yes, they do give you a giant coin to put in the coin slot to start up the lifts and get your car out.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    So funny note.. I got a new car from the Carvana vending machine Friday night. The machine jammed. Multiple times. They were running behind when I got there for my appointment, and with each use they had to call into tech support, because it got jammed every time.

So yes, it does live up to the vending machine jokes. And yes, they do give you a giant coin to put in the coin slot to start up the lifts and get your car out.

That's funny. I kind of wonder how many cars are just there because they look pretty in the vending machine and they load up customer pickups towards the back just before they get picked up.. They seem to have a wide range of colorful cars.

While the cars in the parking lot are more "boring" colors.

So, Carvana does not sell new cars, right?

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    interesting, no Carvana in Seattle. ...
    I think they still do deliveries there. NYC does not have one either and LA got theirs in Aug.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    So, Carvana does not sell new cars, right?
    No, just used, like Carmax.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    That's funny. I kind of wonder how many cars are just there because they look pretty in the vending machine and they load up customer pickups towards the back just before they get picked up.. They seem to have a wide range of colorful cars.

While the cars in the parking lot are more "boring" colors.
    I know that all of the cars in the tower are ones that are sold (or at least that was the case Friday). While I was picking up mine, some guy came in and asked if he could buy one in the tower, and they told him they were all sold. It makes sense since the tower is really just the delivery mechanism for sold cars, and not actually a tool itself to sell the car. I'm not sure if there were additional cars there (honestly, I wasn't paying attention). I feel like all the cars around the tower were employee and customer cars.

I know that all of the cars in the tower are ones that are sold (or at least that was the case Friday). While I was picking up mine, some guy came in and asked if he could buy one in the tower, and they told him they were all sold. It makes sense since the tower is really just the delivery mechanism for sold cars, and not actually a tool itself to sell the car. I'm not sure if there were additional cars there (honestly, I wasn't paying attention). I feel like all the cars around the tower were employee and customer cars.
    Are they open Sundays since the cars are technically already sold? It seemed like a lot of cars in the parking lot for a sunday evening.

14. Default Re: Carvana

If your car doesn't come down, can you shake it to get it free from the machine?? LOL.

Are they open Sundays since the cars are technically already sold? It seemed like a lot of cars in the parking lot for a sunday evening.
    That's an interesting challenge. If so, look forward to a big lobbying push from area car dealerships to open on Sundays.

Default Re: Costco

Not only is their web infrastructure bad....so is their entire process. I am in process of buying a car through them. It gets delivered tomorrow. I can tell you that it has been the worst car buying experience I have had, Their online portal and customer service features online are horrible. Would upload documents and then the next day get email saying it wasn't uploaded. Check your account and it doesn't show that you even uploaded it and so you call. Once you get someone on the line (they are all taking calls from home), they look and everything is uploaded and their autogenerated emails are faulty. Says you can give cashiers check to the delivery driver but they don't tell you that is only the down payment. If paying in full...you have to overnight the check even though you have to upload it on the portal and then wait for them to call the bank and verify. I do not recommend them nor will I ever purchase from them again.

As part of Carvana's ongoing and increasing troubles, they have sold the OKC dealership to a holding company and leased it back to itself.

If you haven't been following Carvana's woes as of late, you might check it out. Their creditors have just signed negotiation agreements to streamline the process of reorganizing their massive debt, and *may* last through 2023 as a result, but a bankruptcy seems only a forestalled inevitability.

I have purchased 3 cars through carvana, and the last one was the final time I ever will. My first purchase was actually pretty good, and the second one had some frustrations, but was tolerable. The third purchase I had many of the experiences other folks have had - terrible web functionality, lousy communication, poor processes. It's a shame because I like the model.

My daughter sold her car to Carvana about 2 weeks ago and I couldn't believe how smooth it went and what a good price she got for her car. They came and got it, bought her a check, she signed some paperwork and the process took about 15 minutes. The check cleared and she is good to go.

I have purchased 3 cars through carvana, and the last one was the final time I ever will. My first purchase was actually pretty good, and the second one had some frustrations, but was tolerable. The third purchase I had many of the experiences other folks have had - terrible web functionality, lousy communication, poor processes. It's a shame because I like the model.
    the model was very sound upfront. i think they just tried to take on too much to fast, and it killed them. Had they worked with slow growth and slowly moved into new areas, then they could have grown and continued to innovate and keep with their original mission. but like with most other modern start ups, it's all about going national or global as quickly as possible and never actually do the work well to meet the mission.

23. Default Re: Carvana

If Carvana does fold what will they do with those big vending machines. Pretty strange building.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    If Carvana does fold what will they do with those big vending machines. Pretty strange building.
    They should have spent their money on other parts of the business instead of a really expensive PR stunt.

They should have spent their money on other parts of the business instead of a really expensive PR stunt.
    Depends on how much business the stunt brought in. I admit I only learned of Carvana because of the big vending machines.

Thread Information