Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Carvana

Far North Carvana

Vending machine for cars coming to OKC

Carvana is planning to construct a new facility in north Oklahoma City which will include a multi-story vending machine that will dispense cars to local buyers.

The Tempe, Arizona based company sells, finances and buys used cars through its website.

Oklahoma City became Carvana's 30th U.S. market in 2017 when local residents became able to take home delivery of any of the company's 7,500+ vehicles.

The new facility at 1800 W. Memorial near Pennsylvania will consist of a 5,800 square building and vending tower. Two buildings on the 1-acre site will be demolished.

The location was formerly home to BluePearl veterinary hospital. The company recently moved to a new, larger facility at 1401 W. Memorial.

In markets where Carvana has a facility, after shopping on-line then completing a purchase, customers can select the option to pick up their car from the vending machine location. A buyer first finds their transaction in a kiosk at the site or by inserting a special coin into a large receptacle. Delivery to a home or business, the only currently available option in the area, will remain as an alternative.

Carvana boasts a 150-point inspection on all its vehicles and customers have a 7-day free trial period.

A former subsidiary of Drivetime, the company was spun off in 2014 and went public in 2017. Since the infusion of funds they have been pursuing an aggressive expansion strategy, promoting themselves as the 'Amazon of car buying'.

Vending machine stores are currently operating in Nashville, Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Anotonio, Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, Charlotte, Raliegh, Tempe and Gaithersburg, Maryland.

Default Re: Carvana

This intrigues me.

Only one I've seen is off the Sam Rayburn tollway, kind of by Nebraska Furniture Mart in Frisco. Honestly, it's really really cool looking. For that alone, I'm STOKED for OKC to get this.

Awesome but also hilarious that you can buy a car from a vending machine

It's a gimmick for sure but it draws attention to their cars and website and will no doubt look cool from the turnpike.

What will you do if the product gets stuck? I don't see shaking the building being an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    What will you do if the product gets stuck? I don't see shaking the building being an option.
    Haha... You'd also need a very long arm to reach up there and try and get one for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    Just wait for the next earthquake?

I also think it looks cool.

But you want to know something funny? About 10 minutes from my house here in St. Louis, one of these was recently proposed and the neighbors in the vicinity petitioned the city to disallow it because it is “tacky looking” and “contributes to visual blight.” Now Carvana is looking to build it elsewhere in the metro area.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    I also think it looks cool.

But you want to know something funny? About 10 minutes from my house here in St. Louis, one of these was recently proposed and the neighbors in the vicinity petitioned the city to disallow it because it is “tacky looking” and “contributes to visual blight.” Now Carvana is looking to build it elsewhere in the metro area.
    Thankfully, this one in OKC is far away from any residents (unless you count the new apartments next door, which I am not sure if they are open).

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Thankfully, this one in OKC is far away from any residents (unless you count the new apartments next door, which I am not sure if they are open).
    The apartments (Argon) are open but not really that close to this site.

They have these (or similar to them) in Houston. When I heard about the concept I was intrigued and curious if it would take off. I think that now their in growth mode this will take off.

Blog Entries

So do you get pre-approval first and then go to the machine to collect your merchandise or how does it work? I love the design of it.

^ Yes, they offer their own financing, which I understand helps speed up the process, but if you chose to use your own financing, you have to do all the leg work between them and your financial provider, sometimes resulting in weeks before you are finally able to accept delivery your vehicle. Plus you are only getting to see the vehicle on line. No test drive, no walk around. …. You buy it, then try it.

By the way, Carvana is a subsidiary of Drive Time.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    ^ Yes, they offer their own financing, which I understand helps speed up the process, but if you chose to use your own financing, you have to do all the leg work between them and your financial provider, sometimes resulting in weeks before you are finally able to accept delivery your vehicle. Plus you are only getting to see the vehicle on line. No test drive, no walk around. …. You buy it, then try it.

By the way, Carvana is a subsidiary of Drive Time.
    They have a 7-day return policy, which can be used for test drive, inspection, etc.

Also, please re-read the article which explains Carvana spun of from DriveTime and is has been an independent operation for a while.

Thanks for the correction Pete … Was a subsidiary of Drive time.

In my minds eye, this is only a fad, but in reality they have been around for a while now and are growing. And, folks have been buying vehicles off the internet just off of viewing few photos for years now. It seems crazy but apparently it works.

I have a friend that bought a BMW about a year ago from the Dallas area location. The customer service was fantastic, NO high pressure selling. He is completely satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by 5alive View Post
    I have a friend that bought a BMW about a year ago from the Dallas area location. The customer service was fantastic, NO high pressure selling. He is completely satisfied.
    Yep, just had friends in Santa Fe tell us the same thing. There was actually something wrong with the vehicle they brought (can't remember what, but it was minor). They came and picked it up and dropped off the corrected vehicle right at their house. They highly recommended it and loved getting to avoid the hassle of dealing with car salesmen.

Now as to whether a "vending machine" for the cars is necessary is a whole other question, lol...

It's a great marketing gimmick, otherwise we wouldn't even be talking about them. These tend to be located in high-traffic areas and serve as a billboard more than anything else. Plus, just the fun of the whole vending machine process. Just wait, once open there well be hundreds of social media videos of people putting that big coin in the slot and watching the car descend.

They actually entered the OKC market last year and few seemed to even notice.

Someone please tell me that Carvana has a super cheesy commercial with the lyrics to the Camila Cabello song, "Havana".....and if not, who do I speak to about making one!

The car industry literally involves trillions of dollars.

There is a lot to be said for finding an innovative way of trying to get just a small piece of that pie and still generate billions.

I would like to see a giant claw game with all the cars jumbled up in a box and you can try your luck to get one. Costs $1,000 to play though...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnb911 View Post
    I would like to see a giant claw game with all the cars jumbled up in a box and you can try your luck to get one. Costs $1,000 to play though...
    My used car would cost $100,000. lol

This is basically a car version of this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	58122588362ca4372e8b5070-750-563.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	14753

Pete, when this gets built you'll have to take your drone and go car shopping for us, and report back here.

Very interesting . . .

Thread Information