Widgets Magazine

Thread: Garage door opener help needed....

Default Garage door opener help needed....

Man, I'm asking for a lot of help lately *sigh*..

I have a Genie Powermax 1500 garage door opener that has worked essentially trouble-free since I installed it several years ago. Over the last several weeks, however, it has started exhibiting this frustrating pattern of randomly losing its up/down limits, or not opening/closing completely or at all. We kill the power to it, reset it, and it will work OK...for two or three days, and the problem returns. Lather, rinse, repeat...

Just last night, a self-diagnostic red blinking light started that traces back to a generic "component failure" on the Genie troubleshooting page. I'm thinking that main control board is failing, hence the temporary "fix" when repowered. I have no problem trying to replace a control or other board in the system...I just need a "likely culprit" as a starting point. Anyone familiar with Genie openers have any suggestions given the problem I've described?

Default Re: Garage door opener help needed....

Funny, I was just going to post a glowing review for one of the best customer service experiences of my life.

I have two relatively new openers that I jacked around with for months with a variety of problems. Did all the research, made adjustments... Nothing stuck.

Call these guys and thank me later:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/on-track-ga...-experts-yukon

Hey Sooner, I don't have Genie's on my doors but before you replace the mother board, have you gone through the safety sensors at the bottom of the doors?. Alignment & loose connections, dirt & bugs. Sometimes they see things that aren't there. Also, does the problem exist with all your remotes or just one, or only the wall button? Or both? I've had to clear and reprogram my remotes before.

4. Default Re: Garage door opener help needed....

Have you happened to recently put an LED light bulb in it? I had several issues popup after installing one.

Nope...no LED bulb. But after a few minutes on the phone with Genie, I think I found the problem. Completely incidentally to the steps Genie had me follow, I had opened and closed the light lens cover. Just after doing that, I noticed that the lights on BOTH floor sensors were out. I then started moving the two wires near the header, and voila, the sensor lights started flickering, meaning I had a break in that wire somewhere. Any break in those wires is interpreted as a failure of the sensors and turns on the rapid-blink red LED.

I stripped off a few more inches of wire, snipped new leads, plugged them back into the terminal block, and for now all is good. Explains almost all the bad behavior. If it breaks or goes bad again I'll just run some new wire from the power head to the sensors. Either way, I think I found the real problem

6. Default Re: Garage door opener help needed....

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Funny, I was just going to post a glowing review for one of the best customer service experiences of my life.

I have two relatively new openers that I jacked around with for months with a variety of problems. Did all the research, made adjustments... Nothing stuck.

Call these guys and thank me later:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/on-track-ga...-experts-yukon
    Called On-Track Garage Door Experts out of Yukon last week and they were one of the most professional, courteous, and fair service providers in any trade I have dealt with in some time. I would not hesitate to recommend them. Thanks for the rec., Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Called On-Track Garage Door Experts out of Yukon last week and they were one of the most professional, courteous, and fair service providers in any trade I have dealt with in some time. I would not hesitate to recommend them. Thanks for the rec., Pete.
    Glad you called them!

They should open a side business of teaching others how to deliver great customer service.

Thread Information