Widgets Magazine

Thread: Classen Curve Hotel

Western Ave. Classen Curve Hotel

Hotel planned for Classen Curve area

OKCTalk has obtained plans that show the intention to build a new hotell on N. Western Ave. just north of Whole Foods.

The property is currently a playfield with a track. It was purchased by Washington Prime, which in 2014 bought Nichols Hills Plaza and related properties, Classen Curve and the Triangle at Classen Curve.

Chesapeake Energy had accumulated and developed these properties under Aubrey McClendon as part of his master plan to significantly upgrade the area around the energy company's campus and after he was ousted, scores of properties have been methodically liquidated.

Washington Prime paid Chesapeake $1.2 million for the 2.04 acres last September. Chesapeake had bought the property in 2000 for $2.125 million.

Since purchasing the Oklahoma properties, the Columbus-based developer has added many new-to-market tenants including West Elm, Trader Joe's, Kendra Scott, Warby Parker, and Bonbos. They have also filled vacancies with locally owned businesses such as Pop's, Provision Kitchen, En Croute, St. Mark's Chop Room and several others.

Just last week, a new Starbucks opened along NW 63rd and Washington Prime is finishing a retail building next door which will be home to Oklahoma's first Hopdoddy Burger Bar when it opens later this summer.

Plans indicate an attached parking structure will be constructed to the north.

The hotel would be directly east of another big development planned by Washington Prime which would include more retail, restaurants and apartments. The company's ambitious plans were first revealed by OKCTalk before stalling due to a lawsuit by an attorney who lived in the nearby Glennbrook neighborhood.

Robyn Assaf sued both Washington Prime and the City of Oklahoma City, claiming proper notice had not been provided in conjunction of re-zoning which was ultimately granted.

The court ruled against Assaf in 2016 and in 2017 an appeal was also denied.

The plans for the new hotel show that the large development is still planned to the east, although the timing and exact configuration is unclear. Previously, OKCTalk had reported that REI was interested in anchoring the development.

Note: The reviewed plans indicate the brand would be AC Hotels, as we reported in our original story. However, after our article was published the hotel developer -- who wishes to remain anonymous -- contacted OKCTalk and explained the branding has changed and it will almost definitely not be an AC Hotel but rather another nice new-to-market hotel brand. This article was edited to reflect that change.

Default Re: Classen Curve

Their conceptual plan shows quite a large hotel structure. And they want a TEN FOOT setback from Western Avenue!?

In that conceptual plan, the large structure is the apartments to be located west of the hotel.

You can see the footprint of the hotel in the article. It's quite small, only about 1/3rd of that playfield. And only a small amount of it fronts Western.

HangryHippo Guest

How many stories will the hotel be?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    How many stories will the hotel be?
    Not sure but I believe 5-8.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Not sure but I believe 5-8.
    It will be interesting to see if this gets approved without significant NIMBY opposition, given the level of opposition to the stalled lifestyle center.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    It will be interesting to see if this gets approved without significant NIMBY opposition, given the level of opposition to the stalled lifestyle center.
    They have the proper zoning so the only small issue is this setback.

Even in the unlikely event that was not approved, they could merely adjust their plans and move forward.

Speaking of, is the lifestyle center still a go? Or did initial backlash discourage the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Speaking of, is the lifestyle center still a go? Or did initial backlash discourage the owner.
    It is still shown in that plan I posted on the hotel.

They have been busy expanding and filling Classen Curve and Nichols Hills Plaza. They have added about 24 dozen new, high-quality tenants just in the last few years and I'm sure they've been focusing on that instead of dumping even more space on the market.

I'm very sure it will still happen, it's just a matter of when.

Remember, they added two new buildings to Classen Curve, a new building to Nichols Hills Plaza and inherited a lot of vacancy and low-paying tenants when they bought from Chesapeake.

I will edit the hotel article when I have a few spare minutes but for now wanted to say that the prospective hotel developer (I knew it was a local company but I didn't know which before now) contacted me and said that the AC labeling on the plans was preliminary and now it looks almost certain NOT to be an AC.

However, I was told it will be a very impressive property and a hotel brand that will be new to the OKC market.

As long as things proceed, we should be able to share detailed renderings in the near future. (And no, I haven't seen them yet).

Blog Entries

The opposition was basically ONE person and a few of her sympathizers. I live in the neighborhood and didn't hear a bunch of opposition except for concern that the apartment building would be a cheap suburban style that wouldn't retain the long-term value of the neighborhood. If this is a quality hotel brand and good construction then there won't be much opposition at all. I live east of Waterford and no one complains about them being there.

I hope they don't tear out the trees for developing the hotel. Those are some of the best-looking trees in OKC IMO.

Click the link below to see a 3D model I created on Tuesday. It shows the current hotel development site bordered by existing streets and parking areas. I don't know the specific boundaries of the proposed project, but everything in the model comprises 2.76 acres.
    https://sketchfab.com/models/a2eca5b...59609bba63b00b

The variance for the hotel was approved Thursday by the Board of Adjustment.

In the meeting Tim Johnson (engineer for the project) flashed this rendering.

He also said the brand will be 'higher' than an AC.

Default Re: Classen Curve Hotel

That photo looks like its straight out of an early 90's screencap of a VHS taped show about OKC development. But looks cool!

Default Re: Classen Curve Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Colbafone View Post
    That photo looks like its straight out of an early 90's screencap of a VHS taped show about OKC development. But looks cool!
    Haha... From the city's video feed. The rendering was not included as part of the agenda materials otherwise we'd have a better copy.

Thread Information