Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: General Weather Discussion - July & August 2018

Default General Weather Discussion - July & August 2018

Another month combination thread because weather is usually pretty boring in the full summer stride.

The ridge of death is still in place with temperatures in the low to mid 90s. Exceptionally high humidity is present for a large majority of the US. Daily Excessive Heat Warnings & Advisories are in effect for many areas from the east coast to the central plains.

For OK, slight chance @ a storm or two Friday afternoon and again Saturday. Nothing significant and consider yourself lucky for a drink.

The ridge looks like it will remain in place through mid-July with signs of a potential breakdown near the 16th.

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - July & August 2018

C OK really missing out on the relief today:

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    C OK really missing out on the relief today:

By any chance, is your name John Titor? How in the hell was a real-time weather report created on July 17, 2018 posted on 07-06-2018? I’m not seeing any indication that the 07-06-2018 post was edited today or anything. Then again, you are “Anonymous,” so changing date and time stamps on a message board should be child’s play for a person with that user name. I’m confused.
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

Quote Originally Posted by AFCM View Post
    By any chance, is your name John Titor? How in the hell was a real-time weather report created on July 17, 2018 posted on 07-06-2018? I’m not seeing any indication that the 07-06-2018 post was edited today or anything. Then again, you are “Anonymous,” so changing date and time stamps on a message board should be child’s play for a person with that user name. I’m confused.
    I believe that map updates to show the most recent time and radar. It is a constantly updated radar. When he posted it, it was July 6. But it has updated since.

Hot! Hot! Hot!

This is somewhat weather related. Don't let the date fool you. This Map of the Earth updates quite frequently. https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap161010.html

Go to the bottom left and hit the earth hyperlink. It takes you to an interactive map. Hit the earth link again and a menu will pull up with some interesting overlays. I mostly use the wind and temp, but I'm sure there are some weather wizards that will use the other overlays. You can use it to track Tropical Storms, Hurricanes and Typhoons. Give it a try.

I prefer to at least having storms around to just pure hot and dry days, but it looks like that is on its way.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    I prefer to at least having storms around to just pure hot and dry days, but it looks like that is on its way.
    At least the humidity is going to be lower. I'll deal with a week of temperatures in the 100's if it means we can finally knock the dewpoints down into the 60's...if nothing else, it'll be a change of pace.

Later next week into next weekend, it appears that we'll have a chance at some level of relief from the heat, and possibly a more favorable pattern for convective complexes moving in from Colorado/Kansas.

Quote Originally Posted by AFCM View Post
    Yes, as the other poster pointed out. I posted the map that is a live image that automatically updates. I usually post a screencap of the map to avoid this confusion. But it was laziness on my part.

Dangerous heat continues for all of OK through the weekend. We will see air temperatures over 105 over a large part of the state Thursday and Friday. Knocking down to regular 100 over the weekend for C OK.

Temperature relief comes next week where we get back into uppers 80s and low 90s for highs.

Looking for drought relief, we might see something coming as we get closer to August.

OKC will make a run @ the all-time record (113) high temperature today. We will be around 110F by late afternoon.

11. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - July & August 2018

Crazy how the hottest temps are just concentrated right in Oklahoma. Why is that? Seems oddly localized. Poor Kingfisher county.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Crazy how the hottest temps are just concentrated right in Oklahoma. Why is that? Seems oddly localized. Poor Kingfisher county.
    Center of high pressure creating a heat dome?

Hope somebody can explain this heat. Just downright strange, in my humble okie opinion.

Just saw on Weather.com that our record temperature here in Oklahoma is 120. Death Valley, California has the world record high of 134 on July 10, 1913. Now I don't feel so bad.

The low 90s are back. Some cloud cover relief also here for part of C and SW OK until later this Monday afternoon. These temperatures will continue all week with rain chances appearing this weekend. The drought is beginning to get some ground back.

The cloud cover and lower temps were a nice break today. Got some much needed lawn work done.

17. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - July & August 2018

Large area of remnant storms moving SE into OK panhandle. Good luck and hope they make it down there to bring some relief.

Cool front coming through the metro this afternoon. Cloud cover is the main benefit with eventual cool down of temperatures. Unfortunately most of the rain has fizzled out. We may see a few showers or storms kick up as the front moves through, but this will likely be to the south and east of OKC.

This weekend rain chances increase as waves of storms up in CO and KS come down out of the NW and push into OK. Exact pathing of the storms will be random, but just watch the radar and use judgement off that. Low temperatures in the 60s will be across most of the state, which will be a refreshing change.

Best chances for rain and storms will be Sunday and Monday, where we could have some severe weather (damaging wind) getting into the mix. Temperatures next week look amazing for this time of the year - highs in the low & mid 80s.

First round of rain and storms is developing now across CO and KS. This will congeal and head south and east into OK. Eventually the storms will lose steam as they approach C parts of the state and die out some. Still a decent shot @ rain in OKC for early Saturday morning. So maybe hold off on that tee-time.

Second round will be Sunday morning, very similar scenario.

Third round looks to be Sunday night into Monday and appears to be the most significant. We could have some severe storms and flash flooding in areas for Monday morning.

Here is a screengrab of Saturday morning storms approaching OKC. Gusty winds will be main threat, but the rainfall is worth it.

Obviously the storms last night didn't make it. But another round is on tap for tonight into Sunday morning. Again, the path of the storms will be difficult to predict, Northern OK has the best shot.

MCS is forming now across CO/KS and will gain traction into the overnight as it enters OK Here is a snapshot of storms hitting OKC between 2-4am timeframe. Damaging winds and flash flooding will be the main threats.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    MCS is forming now across CO/KS and will gain traction into the overnight as it enters OK Here is a snapshot of storms hitting OKC between 2-4am timeframe. Damaging winds and flash flooding will be the main threats.

What size hail are we looking at with this storm, if any?

Severe watch is out for all of NW, W, and C OK.

Hail could be quarter size, perhaps a little bigger to cause damage. But the main threat will no doubt be wind. Especially across C OK where the models really line-out the storms and strengthen the entire MCS.

Wow, this MCS was extremely well-organized and the apex of the bow plowed right through the city. Have to think that caused a lot of wind damage.

A lot of wind damage came into (especially the west side) of OKC.

Really solid rainfall for a large part of the state.

Thread Information