Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: General Weather Discussion - July & August 2018

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - July & August 2018

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    I feel like that part of the country is perpetually in some state of drought. Every year it’s the same story.
    Nature, it's a bitch, probably been that way for centuries... Although I'm just guessing that's the case, have no hard data to back that up, but there are pockets of America that are just dry naturally, always either drought-stricken or on the verge of it (not counting the actual desert parts of America, like Arizona, Nevada, Death Valley, etc.)

There's a lot of disagreement among the hi-res models, but many of them bring in storms with very heavy rain through the metro later this afternoon into the evening. I imagine that'd create another big time flooding threat given all of the recent rains and what happened in Norman and SW OKC just two days ago.

I feel like that part of the country is perpetually in some state of drought. Every year it’s the same story.
    Actually just one year ago the drought was basically non-existent. But after that the rain/snow just completely turned off. This drought strangle-hold between the southern plains and west coast is the real deal.

August 2017:

August 2018:

The tiny system moving across W OK right now is gaining traction with the heating of the day. The thin line of storms are now intensifying gradually. These have the possibility of becoming severe by the time they reach parts of C OK. We will probably see an MD soon or go straight to a SVR watch.

5. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - July & August 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    In addition to that, Emily added to the sensation that there won't be a Stillwater split during the period ending Sunday. Yeah, sure, lol. We'll see how the whole rain map turns out.
    There may not have been golf ball hail or 70 mph wind but it seems like they got this one right. Flooding is still severe weather.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    There may not have been golf ball hail or 70 mph wind but it seems like they got this one right. Flooding is still severe weather.
    With no intention to belittle severe flooding elsewhere, here is the Stillwater Split caught in action on radar. Amount of rain from the split: 02".

NWS has issued a flood watch for basically the OKC metro. Storms are increasing out to the west and are very slow moving.

Flash flooding is going to be the primary threat.

Flood Watch
    National Weather Service Norman OK
    1106 AM CDT Thu Aug 16 2018

...Flood Watch in Effect Through This Evening...

OKZ018>020-024>030-170200-
    /O.NEW.KOUN.FA.A.0006.180816T1800Z-180817T0200Z/
    /00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z. OO/
    Kingfisher-Logan-Payne-Canadian-Oklahoma-Lincoln-Grady-McClain-
    Cleveland-Pottawatomie-
    Including the cities of Kingfisher, Hennessey, Okarche, Guthrie,
    Stillwater, Yukon, Concho, El Reno, Mustang, Oklahoma City,
    Chandler, Stroud, Prague, Meeker, Davenport, Wellston, Chickasha,
    Tuttle, Purcell, Newcastle, Blanchard, Norman, Moore, and Shawnee
    1106 AM CDT Thu Aug 16 2018

...FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 PM CDT THIS EVENING...

The National Weather Service in Norman has issued a

* Flood Watch for flash flooding...flooding of creeks and
    rivers...and flooding of low lying areas for a portion of
    central Oklahoma, including the following areas, Canadian,
    Cleveland, Grady, Kingfisher, Lincoln, Logan, McClain,
    Oklahoma, Payne, and Pottawatomie.

* Until 9 PM CDT this evening

* Showers and thunderstorms with heavy rainfall may cause
    localized flooding this afternoon into the evening, especially
    in any urban locations

8. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - July & August 2018

With no intention to belittle severe flooding elsewhere, here is the Stillwater Split caught in action on radar. Amount of rain from the split: 02".

Oh l was more talking about the other poster who was so critical of the weather forcasters. it looked from the rainfall map the Stillwater got a couple of inches. Denver has a horrible split where storms come off the mountains and die on the west side of town, then form up again on the east rise to the plains. I've seen these systems go thru West Kansas and south into OK but Denver just gets sprinkles and dry lightning.

I've read a few articles that suggest the 100th meridian between OK and the TX panhandle was considered the dividing line between the humid east and dry west, but now that line has moved 100 miles to the east. It does seem like thunderstorms are beginning to the east of Altus more now than 40-50 years ago, but that is my anecdotal observation.

I guess Tulsa will get pounded with rain, and not OKC. Oh well. Midwest City will continue to be a black hole for rain.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    I guess Tulsa will get pounded with rain, and not OKC. Oh well. Midwest City will continue to be a black hole for rain.
    From one midwest city resident to another i feel what your saying. It always seems like it splits before it gets to us or dies out. The other day when the city was getting pounded with record rainfall it was just a steady rain here nothing special and my rain gauge showed about 1/2 inch. Not that its not welcome mind you, but in these summer months and with the drought conditions not very far away we need all we can get

Anybody know of a source for historical(2013) weather data on a particular day in Calumet or El Reno? Preferably hour by hour is what I am looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Anybody know of a source for historical(2013) weather data on a particular day in Calumet or El Reno? Preferably hour by hour is what I am looking for.
    This may be a start:
    http://www.mesonet.org/index.php/wea...data_retrieval

Obviously the storms took a northern track across NC OK. Models still say possible some storms fire on the southern end, but these may be just to the southeast of the OKC metro.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    The storm didn't do a split in Stillwater and inundated Stillwater with 2-3 in. rain. StormTrackers for KWTV 9, Val and Amy Castor went to tour flood prone parts of Stillwater well before the downpour let up for a Facebook video. One of the best parts starts shortly after 10:00. It looks like a hurricane.
    https://www.facebook.com/ValCastorNe...0451858376805/

More random pop up storms expected today along the nearly stationary boundary just south of I-40. Best chances will be in that corridor and to the south with afternoon heating.

Saturday looks like it will be mostly dry. Late Saturday into Sunday morning will be high chance of rain and storms for most of the state. Especially northern. Models placing a relatively narrow corridor of 2-3 inches of rain somewhere across the central parts of the state by late Sunday morning.

The storm didn't do a split in Stillwater and inundated Stillwater with 2-3 in. rain. StormTrackers for KWTV 9, Val and Amy Castor went to tour flood prone parts of Stillwater well before the downpour let up for a Facebook video. One of the best parts starts shortly after 10:00. It looks like a hurricane.
    https://www.facebook.com/ValCastorNe...0451858376805/
    An interesting article about the Stillwater storm of Thursday. Even though it rained only 2 to 3 inches, water got into places not seen before from a storm, due to the unusually high intensity of the downpour, amounting to a rate of over 9 in. an hour.

http://www.stwnewspress.com/after-th...fe22b1fe2.html

18. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - July & August 2018

Widespread rain event covering nearly the entire TX panhandle moving east!

Good news is it looks like OKC will not get any more storms today. It looks like we return to our regular summer type weather after this with no rain in the forecast. Should be fun times ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Drake View Post
    Good news is it looks like OKC will not get any more storms today. It looks like we return to our regular summer type weather after this with no rain in the forecast. Should be fun times ahead!
    Good! Want to get a few more swims in before closing up the pool.

Meanwhile the Tropics have been dead silent pretty much all season with the seasonal peak in a couple weeks. Strange year for sure with a very mild severe weather season but a stormy August for much of OK.

The slightest of the slight chances of a shower or storm, mostly across N OK today and tonight.

Otherwise, hot and dry returns as we go back to normal Summer conditions here in the plains. Highs mid 90s, lows mid 70s. I don't see any promising rain chances for the next couple weeks. Hopefully we see that change as it would be disappointing to give back all this drought relief.

23. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - July & August 2018

Yeah and I just planted a bunch of spinach down at the farm in the Arbuckles based on the long term chances of above average precip I saw a couple of weeks ago and now it looks like that's not happening.... We'll see how sturdy it is getting watered once a week.

Meanwhile the Tropics have been dead silent pretty much all season with the seasonal peak in a couple weeks. Strange year for sure with a very mild severe weather season but a stormy August for much of OK.
    I should say it's been quiet in the Atlantic and Eastern Pacific. Hawaii is staring at its first major hurricane landfall since 1992. It will likely weaken but still could have a big impact on the islands.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    The slightest of the slight chances of a shower or storm, mostly across N OK today and tonight.

Otherwise, hot and dry returns as we go back to normal Summer conditions here in the plains. Highs mid 90s, lows mid 70s. I don't see any promising rain chances for the next couple weeks. Hopefully we see that change as it would be disappointing to give back all this drought relief.
    Rooting for the hot and dry!!! Summertime sunshine! All the rain and possibility of severe crap is just absurd for this late in the season. And my lawn is going nuts with the moisture.

Thread Information