Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: General Weather Discussion - July & August 2018

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - July & August 2018

Lost a few branches including this 8-9" diameter branch last night. Got 2.73" at the house in NW OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    Lost a few branches including this 8-9" diameter branch last night. Got 2.73" at the house in NW OKC.
    Was there some sort of wake low with this MCS last night? I noticed there were some really strong north winds about 20-30 minutes after the line first hit.

It was a wake low. Usually all of OK's peak of summer systems that come out of the NW are wake lows. Small pieces of energy spinning around a larger broad low that is normally somewhere near KS/MO/IA.

4. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - July & August 2018

Unfortunately, the monsoon spigot is being shut down a few days as a high blocks the gulf and pacific moisture flow so we won't be sending storm systems down.

Blog Entries

Not sure it can get any better than this in Okla on July 31st. Gorgeous.

Top-shelf weather today, pretty much as nice as it can get in Oklahoma in late-July. Outside shot that temperatures at the airport dip into the 50s overnight, which would be nearly 15 degrees below the average low temperature for this time of year.

One more day of hot weather, and then temperatures should cool into the upper 80's for about a week or so. Another nice period of relief from the heat during what's statistically just about the hottest time of the year here.

Yes, most places near 100F today. Mid-90s tomorrow, unless we get lucky with additional cloud cover. Especially over northern OK.

Tuesday evening and Wednesday we will see multiple waves of thunderstorms coming out of the NW and marching across the state. Exact tracks will be difficult to predict until we see what develops, but it looks like most of the state will have a good shot @ meaningful rain. Especially W and C parts of the state. Could see a few storms become severe, but nothing too organized. Flash flooding will be the main threat as the storms are expected to track similar paths.

Models have been stalling the front out further south than initially forecast. This means a little bit cooler temps ahead, but majority of rain impacts also moving south. We will still see storms here in C OK, especially late Tuesday night. But for Tuesday into Wednesday, the rain focus may be closer to the Red River.

Several storms developing over C and EC OK right now. These will generally move E. Storms will have potential to be severe in a pulsing behavior. Heavy rains and gusty winds.

Cluster developing west of OKC currently looks like it could sweep across the OKC metro in the next couple hours.

Storms have mostly fizzled out across C OK, small shower near downtown still dying out.

We will see redevelopment after midnight into the morning hours. We could see flash flooding for morning rushhour across OKC if storms continue to train over the same areas. Short range models estimate some areas receiving 2"+.

The OKC stations are widely divergent on the chances of rain in SW OK, Altus and environs. for this week. What is the real answer? We really need a very good rain around here.

SW OK should get a nice dumping Wednesday night.

I hoped to wake up to a nice drizzle this morning but not a drop yet. I want to stop complaining about the lack of rain and begin b**ching about having to mow the place again.

Was kept up most of the night with storms and woke up to a whopping 4.13" in the rain gauge at my place in NW OKC (the highest 24-hour CoCoRaHS total in the country -- cool! lol), with more coming down. Yeesh!

The thunder was intense. Woke me up a few times and I finally got up around 4:00 am. I live in far NW OKC. My street had water over it.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    Was kept up most of the night with storms and woke up to a whopping 4.13" in the rain gauge at my place in NW OKC (the highest 24-hour CoCoRaHS total in the country -- cool! lol), with more coming down. Yeesh!
    As of 8:30am, I had 4.3" of rain in my rain gauge on the south side of OKC, 4 miles due east of the airport, with more coming down. I won't know total 24-hour rainfall until I get back home tonight, but that was an impressive amount of rain.

Here's the OK Mesonet 24 hour rainfall totals so far:

The system that brought us heavy rains will be stalling out across western TX. This along with the boundary being draped across the state will activate more rain chances as pieces of energy get shredding off the main low as it just spins around in Texas.

Today and Friday will be our warmest days in maybe the next 10+. We will see highs in the lower 80s and morning lows in the low 70s beginning Sunday. Rain chances really kick back up Saturday evening into Sunday. But even Saturday could see some storms.

This coming weekend and week might be the best opportunity for drought reduction across TX and OK in the last 2 years. Current model forecasts paint up to 4 to 6 inches of rain across a large area of W TX and SW OK trailing off toward C OK.

If models hold the current course, we could see some flood watches posted over the weekend. Especially across SW/S OK.

Afternoon heating will pop up random storms along and north of the I-40 corridor in the next few hours.

The low is really spinning/unraveling out more than forecast, which is dryslotting most of W OK. Heaviest rain corridor over the next 72 hours looks like it will be somewhere close to I-35 and points eastward.

Following the weather predictions for SW OK is about as rewarding and accurate as trusting your fortune to what the daily horoscope says.
    Last edited by Motley; 08-13-2018 at 06:08 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Motley View Post
    Following the weather predictions for SW OK is about as rewarding and accurate as trusting your fortune to what the daily horoscope says.
    Then stop following the weather predictions.

Killing the messenger is not the answer, but it is frustrating to live in a drought. Farming communities live and die with the weather, and it is the first and last topic of almost all conversations.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Motley View Post
    Killing the messenger is not the answer, but it is frustrating to live in a drought. Farming communities live and die with the weather, and it is the first and last topic of almost all conversations.
    I was born/raised in far SW Okla....my dad used to say that when it rained 40 days and 40 nights.....we got 1/4 of an inch.

[QUOTE=Anonymous.;1044395]The low is really spinning/unraveling out more than forecast, which is dryslotting most of W OK. Heaviest rain corridor over the next 72 hours looks like it will be somewhere close to I-35 and points eastward.[/QUOT

And on that note just wanted to put my two cents in. Here at my house in Midwest city my digital rain gauge has received a whopping .40 inches of rain during this event. It has found a way to go around or fizzle out every time it gets near. Then this morning i watched as the radar lit up with all the reds and yellows and i thought for sure this was going to be the one that brought the deluge. But as i look at the radar it has found a way to die out again before it gets here and move off to the east and southeast. All i can do it just SMH and laugh.

Thread Information