Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Chelino's

Keith Guest

Multiple Locations Chelino's

As most of you know, Chelino's, at around SW.57th and Western, burned down about a month ago.

Today, as I driving around town, I noticed where Chelino's is opening a new restaurant, just east of SW.89th and Western. They are actually remodeling a building that was previously occupied by another restaurant. The sign is already up, so hopefully it will be open soon.

Default Re: Chelino's Relocating

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    As most of you know, Chelino's, at around SW.57th and Western, burned down about a month ago.
    I don't think I ever went to that location (57th/Western)... we're sure glad they put on here at Council and NW Expressway, though my favorite location is still Grand / Walker.

Keith,

That space at 89th and Western has been a BUNCH of different restaurants over the years.

It started out eons (20-25 yrs) ago as a Big Ed's Hamburgers (giant hamburger place), and it was really pretty successful until that chain, in general, more or less failed. Since then, there's been a variety of small eateries in there. Los Vasqueros opened there about three years ago, developed a great reputation very quickly, and then moved south to the abandoned Rex's Chicken building just south of 89th on Western (where it still sits today). A couple of "hometown" style restaurants occupied that space most recently, and neither lasted very long.

I was amazed to see Chelino's move into that location so quickly following the fire at their other location.

-soonerdave

4. Default Re: Chelino's Relocating

"I was amazed to see Chelino's move into that location so quickly following the fire at their other location."

Odds are they had the move planned. The fire was probably just mixed timing.

5. Default Re: Chelino's Relocating

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Keith,

Los Vasqueros opened there about three years ago, developed a great reputation very quickly, and then moved south to the abandoned Rex's Chicken building just south of 89th on Western (where it still sits today).

-soonerdave
    There is a Los Vaqueros on 12th & Janeway in Moore as well. Good food, had ants on my table once though, that was pretty gross. Just throwing that out there in case you didn't know.

I am sure Chelino's will be the restaurant to stay in the building until it is old enough to fall to the ground. How many franchise locations do they have now anyway?

6. Default Re: Chelino's Relocating

Quote Originally Posted by CMSturgeon View Post
    There is a Los Vaqueros on 12th & Janeway in Moore as well. Good food, had ants on my table once though, that was pretty gross. Just throwing that out there in case you didn't know.

I am sure Chelino's will be the restaurant to stay in the building until it is old enough to fall to the ground. How many franchise locations do they have now anyway?
    To the best of my knowldge, Chelino's is not franchised. It is a locally owned establishments owned by a Mexican family.

7. Default Re: Chelino's Relocating

Well, that's kinda what I meant I guess. I figured they owned them all. What do you call that instead of a franchise? Either way, still wonder how many there are.

8. Default Re: Chelino's Relocating

They have 11 locations including one in Edmond, Del City, Norman, and Bethany.

9. Default Re: Chelino's Relocating

Quote Originally Posted by CMSturgeon View Post
    Well, that's kinda what I meant I guess. I figured they owned them all. What do you call that instead of a franchise? Either way, still wonder how many there are.
    Either corporate (which I am sure they are) or individually owned. A franchise is actually a bda which means doing business as. Totally different than total ownership.

10. Default Re: Chelino's Relocating

A franchise is actually a bda which means doing business as.
    Not sure if this is a typo but while we're educating the masses here at OKC, we might as well get it right...

D.B.A. = Doing Business As...

The phrase "doing business as" (abbreviated DBA or d/b/a) is a legal term, meaning that the name of the business or operation does not include the legal name of its proprietor, the names of all partners, or the official registered name of the limited partnership or corporation that owns it.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

11. Default Re: Chelino's Relocating

Quote Originally Posted by Karried View Post
    Not sure if this is a typo but while we're educating the masses here at OKC, we might as well get it right...

D.B.A. = Doing Business As...

The phrase "doing business as" (abbreviated DBA or d/b/a) is a legal term, meaning that the name of the business or operation does not include the legal name of its proprietor, the names of all partners, or the official registered name of the limited partnership or corporation that owns it.
    Yes. I catch most eventually, however, I missed that one. Yes. DBA is what I meant.

Yep, the Garcia brothers have been around town a long time... I remember working w/ Juan (the brother who runs the Grand/Walker location) years ago at the Pancho's (yeah I know... yuck) at 39th and Meridian. His brother, who worked at Furr's, used to come over on Friday nights and we'd party there in the parking lot off of 39th and whatever that was... (presently, there is or was a KFC there I think). That brother was Marcelino, who we called Chelino for nickname. If I remember right, he scraped together 5K and borrowed 5K from a few friends and family and opened up the location at about 41st and S. Robinson. He had nothing handed to him and I am glad to see them doing well. The guy is a great singer too .

Chelinos in Bricktown is the worst restaurant in town, Elephant Bar is close but Chelinos takes the prize.

Wouldn't say it's one of the worst overall, but it is the worst of the Chelino's locations for sure

But I have to say...Their frosted mug Tecate's completely overshadow the average food there

In my recent very quick visit to OKC last week, I ate at Chelino's for the first time -- I met a friend at the Bricktown location.

Arriving at 12:30 for lunch, it was so crowded we had to wait for a table. I took that as a good sign.

However, the food was deplorable. Probably the worst Mexican food I've had at a sit-down restaurant.

The chips were overcooked and generally lousy, the queso sauce was tasteless, the salsa was the same and seemed to be just a bunch of over-pureed tomatoes, and the shredded beef burrito I had was not very good at all. Even the refried beans were soupy.

I'm not that picky of an eater but I can't see why people go there at all with all the other choices nearby; unless they were all tricked first-timers like me.

Pete, a lot of it depends on the time you go, the location you go to, etc. I've had good and bad at Chelinos.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    In my recent very quick visit to OKC last week, I ate at Chelino's for the first time -- I met a friend at the Bricktown location.

Arriving at 12:30 for lunch, it was so crowded we had to wait for a table. I took that as a good sign.

However, the food was deplorable. Probably the worst Mexican food I've had at a sit-down restaurant.

The chips were overcooked and generally lousy, the queso sauce was tasteless, the salsa was the same and seemed to be just a bunch of over-pureed tomatoes, and the shredded beef burrito I had was not very good at all. Even the refried beans were soupy.

I'm not that picky of an eater but I can't see why people go there at all with all the other choices nearby; unless they were all tricked first-timers like me.
    Beer is what differentiates Chelino's from others...The 20 lime 1/2 lb of salt combination they do keeps me coming back

Actually, I would definitely go back in the summer when you can sit on their roof deck and drink cold adult beverages -- and just skip the food.

19. Default Re: Chelino's Relocating

everyone on this site seems to like the place. i think its becuz its local and most people have something against national chains. good to see someone besides me that thinks it sucks too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post

Chelino's is very hit and miss. I have had great food there and I have been back the same time of day and the same day of another week and it was awful. I don't get it!

I also am quite disappointed in how chelino's in Bricktown has kept up (or not kept up) their canal side patio seating area. It looks quite trashy most of the time and is not in use very often even on great weather days.

I'm afraid this is what happens when a family-run restaurant decides to open multiple locations. Flipping Heck, Chelino's has 11!

It was the same story for Concino de Mino. I used to love the place just off Shields (SE 29th?) but then they opened tons more locations and I pretty much never went back.

Once the family ownership and original cooks become removed from the end product, that which made the joint special in the first place is inevitably lost.

Exactly Pete.

I've noticed Ted's isn't as good as it once was. Don't get me wrong, they're still good. But, I think they were better when they just had the one location.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Exactly Pete.

I've noticed Ted's isn't as good as it once was. Don't get me wrong, they're still good. But, I think they were better when they just had the one location.
    I think it was just the hour and a half wait that made the original taste so good

Casa Perico's on 63rd has moved to the top of my list...Their papa rancheras are the best side I have ever had at a Mexican restaurant....Only one I've ran across that fry them instead of making it mashed potatoes style

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    I think it was just the hour and a half wait that made the original taste so good

Casa Perico's on 63rd has moved to the top of my list...Their papa rancheras are the best side I have ever had at a Mexican restaurant....Only one I've ran across that fry them instead of making it mashed potatoes style
    Please don't talk about Casa Perico any more...I love that my wife and I can walk in on a Friday night and get seated immediately, and I would hate for that to change!

Just got home from Ted's.I wanted Chelino's, the wife wanted Ted's. Very crowded, very loud and chaotic. I kept getting bumped from behind the tables are so close and it had been awhile since we have gone to Ted's so the new prices were quite a shock. $15 for a single chicken fajita? Spent $40. for two entrees and a Water,Tea and Tip. Chelino's at SW 42 and Robinson is almost always good.

Thread Information