Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Lip Smackers

Default Re: Lip Smackers

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    As good as the burgers are, I actually prefer their Turkey Mediterranean Sub, which is served hot and is delicious.
    If "Mediterranean" implies things like marinated red onions, olives, capers, sun-dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, appropriate herbage/seasoning and Feta cheese or equivalent . . . I'm in. =~)
    Last edited by RadicalModerate; 10-31-2018 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Forgot to include two or three different kinds of olives.

As good as the burgers are, I actually prefer their Turkey Mediterranean Sub, which is served hot and is delicious.
    i recently came to this realization as well... had it my third time in, and it's almost all i get now as i make my weekly trek

Stopped by tonight. Their hours are now 11-7 every day.

Jabbar said they only briefly closed in the evening because business was slow.

Said it had nothing to do neighborhood safety or the perception of the same. Also said he never made those comments to anyone.

I was there 15 minutes from closing with about a dozen others and on a Tuesday night.
    Thank you for doing what any decent reporter should do. You should mention this on Lackmeyer's chat on Friday as a "Guest".

Stopped by tonight. Their hours are now 11-7 every day.

Jabbar said they only briefly closed in the evening because business was slow.

Said it had nothing to do neighborhood safety or the perception of the same. Also said he never made those comments to anyone.

I was there 15 minutes from closing with about a dozen others and on a Tuesday night.
    Does this still not seem odd to anyone else, or at least still somewhat concerning? He closed temporarily in the evenings because it was slow, but now his hours are from 11-7. There sounds like there is a decent dinner crowd there, at least on a Tuesday night right before closing. Unless his location is an anomaly, wouldn’t that period during mid-afternoon be the slowest time of the day and be the time to close down? Many places open for lunch, close for a few hours, then open back up for the dinner rush. I get that it’s not as convenient for a business owner to do that and it makes it harder to find consistent, good help. Also, it doesn’t sound like business is that slow in the evening. I haven’t been in a while, but when we went on either a Monday or Tuesday night, there was a steady flow of customers. So he closes in the evenings temporarily because business is slow, but opens up with new hours that end when many people are most likely still going to be dining? I would close at 8 if I were him. Or hell, even 730 if he notices that there’s a significant drop in customers walking through the door at that time. What were the original hours anyways?

When I was last in, he stayed open past 7 because people were still coming in.

His business picked up when Discover Oklahoma did a story on him and the restaurant.

http://discoveroklahomatv.com/stories/2018/lip-smackers

Dropped in for lunch around 12:30 with some friends. Place was packed--as was the parking lot--and my onion dip burger was incredible as always. On to the gym...

So sounds like he should officially close at least a little bit later. If he advertises a 7pm closing time, that definitely deters potential customers from coming in if they feel they’re not going to make it. Don’t know how many times my wife and I decided to go somewhere else because we don’t want to show up at a restaurant 30 minutes before closing. Next thing you know, things are going well and he decides to extend hours but pulls back again a month later because things are slow. He needs to have consistency in his operations, especially since he’s only been going for a handful of months now.

Quote Originally Posted by TheirTheir View Post
    Dropped in for lunch around 12:30 with some friends. Place was packed--as was the parking lot--and my onion dip burger was incredible as always. On to the gym...
    This is good to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    So sounds like he should officially close at least a little bit later. If he advertises a 7pm closing time, that definitely deters potential customers from coming in if they feel they’re not going to make it. Don’t know how many times my wife and I decided to go somewhere else because we don’t want to show up at a restaurant 30 minutes before closing. Next thing you know, things are going well and he decides to extend hours but pulls back again a month later because things are slow. He needs to have consistency in his operations, especially since he’s only been going for a handful of months now.
    I don't like going into places close to closing time but I was there about 6:45 and he was in no rush so I didn't feel bad. If he's going to close at 7, I'm sure he realizes there are some nights he'll be there longer.

Blog Entries

Was there about a week ago close to closing. Offered to take it home and he insisted I stay. Went well past closing time and he didn’t rush us. In fact he gave me a free cheesecake.

Jabbar is handing out cheesecake like it's going out of style, yet I'm never on the receiving end...

Quote Originally Posted by TheirTheir View Post
    Jabbar is handing out cheesecake like it's going out of style, yet I'm never on the receiving end...
    If you go towards the end of the business day I bet your odds would increase.

Blog Entries

My wife and I have brought a lot of new customers in. Each time we bring someone new he brings the table cheesecake. It may not be a formal policy, but I think he often serves newcomers cheesecake....and it is really good.

Blog Entries

Went Saturday for lunch. Jabbar says that the Discover OK piece really helped, but that evening traffic there hasn't justified being open. Didn't say it was unsafe, but said the location just isn't good for evening business. Lunch Sat was pretty busy while we were there and steady the whole time. As usual, food was great. We took another couple that hadn't been and they were very impressed with the burgers (and cheesecake ) and they will become regulars.

My advice would be to settle on hours and just stick to them.

There is no way to build up consistent business over time if people don't know when you're open.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    My wife and I have brought a lot of new customers in. Each time we bring someone new he brings the table cheesecake. It may not be a formal policy, but I think he often serves newcomers cheesecake....and it is really good.
    He offered us cheesecake, but we had to turn it down - we were full, it was hot out and we weren't going to get back home to fridge it in a reasonable time, so we were kinda sad we didn't get any. Having said that, when we watched the Discover Oklahoma piece, which aired a few months after we went, it showed him getting a whole cheesecake out of the refrigerator and there were those little pieces of parchment paper in between the slices, then it showed him putting the sauce, etc. on it. So I'm guessing the cheesecake itself comes from a Sysco truck (or whatever variation of that he uses), and isn't housemade, so I wasn't too disappointed that we didn't get any after seeing that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    He offered us cheesecake, but we had to turn it down - we were full, it was hot out and we weren't going to get back home to fridge it in a reasonable time, so we were kinda sad we didn't get any. Having said that, when we watched the Discover Oklahoma piece, which aired a few months after we went, it showed him getting a whole cheesecake out of the refrigerator and there were those little pieces of parchment paper in between the slices, then it showed him putting the sauce, etc. on it. So I'm guessing the cheesecake itself comes from a Sysco truck (or whatever variation of that he uses), and isn't housemade, so I wasn't too disappointed that we didn't get any after seeing that.
    No, he doesn't make the cheesecake, but it is good. The thing that sets it apart is the sauce he makes which is creamy and honey sweet and with berry juice. Very nice.

You can have the best product in the world, but if you are inconsistent and people don' t know when you are open it will sink you.

My friends can tell me that your burger is great, and the article I read might say the same. But if I drive to your place when they said you were open, and now you are closed, then that bad experience will be enough for me to not come back.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    You can have the best product in the world, but if you are inconsistent and people don' t know when you are open it will sink you.

My friends can tell me that your burger is great, and the article I read might say the same. But if I drive to your place when they said you were open, and now you are closed, then that bad experience will be enough for me to not come back.
    According to Jabbar, almost no one was coming in the evening, so apparently there virtually none coming to get disappointed. Said that was even after the Discover OK piece.

His business seems to be very good and growing the last few times I've been there. But, he does need to do a better job of communicating to those thinking about coming.

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post

Yep. I happened to look them up online and saw that they have 3 different set of hours posted across 4 platforms. FB, Yelp, Google, and Trip Advisor were the 4 and none of them even had the most current hours of 11-7. He needs to get his hours straight and consistent for certain. This is pretty basic for a restaurant in 2018.

Blog Entries

I think it was reported here the 11-7 hours, but I believe it is actually 11-3.

So, yes, it is very confusing.

And no Twitter or Instagram feed, last update on Facebook was July 9. I realize his menu doesn't change often, but you gotta at least try social media to some degree...

TL;DR - I had a burger, it was good, so were the sweet potato fries.

Drove by at 6:30 last night and they appeared to be closed.

Thread Information