Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Lip Smackers

Default Re: Lip Smackers

I'd post about Lip Smackers on my Facebook page... but I'm afraid I'm recommending him so much that one of these days *I* won't be able to get in!

Has anybody tried the sandwiches?

I love all the burgers but it seems everything he makes is good.

I'm committed to trying the grilled shrimp next time we're in - hubby is leaning toward the grilled turkey. I'll report back.

Thanks to Bill and also to OKCTalk I had lunch there today. Jabbar was great! The food was very good. I'll definitely be back.

I'll firmly recommend this place.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Has anybody tried the sandwiches?

I love all the burgers but it seems everything he makes is good.
    I tried the grilled roast beef sandwich and it was very good. The roast beef was more of a luncheon meat style instead of a real slice of roast. The mushrooms and onions are tasty. It was a lot of sandwich squeezed into the croissant.

Will definitely have to take the wife, this place is right by my house. I had no idea what it was even when I saw Greg Elwell writing about it. Such a bad location, hopefully he can overcome it!

Took the wife here this past week after hearing all the glowing reviews. Very good burger, imo. Not as good as Nic's but right up there with anything else I've had in town. My wife said she likes Nic's and the Garage better but was very happy with her burger as well. Went on a Tuesday and there were about 8 or so people there eating or waiting. And probably had another half dozen or so people come in after us, so it was decent little flow of customers for a weeknight. Including the owner, there were 3 people in the kitchen and his daughter was working the register. So glad to see he's got some extra help. My wife got the onion dip burger and chips burger and I got the fried jalapeno burger. I asked and paid for caramelized onions to be added to mine but they forgot it; didn't want to interrupt their flow, so I didn't make a stink. Burger and toppings were fresh and good. We also got the fried okra and homemade potato chips. I love homemade potato chips and these were delicious. The fried okra wasn't anything special. They were good, but I am pretty certain they're not fresh cut and battered there. They're the frozen variety that most places serve. Jabbar stopped to check on us a couple of times while running around the place delivering food, and he was very nice and grateful that we were there. I will come back just to support him.

As for the location, I can understand why he chose it. Most likely got a good deal that probably didn't require him to commit to a long term lease. And I wouldn't know, but if the kitchen already came with a lot of the equipment, that would allow him to come right in with little upfront investment. Probably doesn't want to pump too much money into the venture, especially if he's already spent a lot on his previous restaurant. I think he'll do well enough to keep it going and eventually move or make improvements to the current location. But right now, there's no need to pump crazy money into the place. The burger will speak for itself.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    The fried okra wasn't anything special. They were good, but I am pretty certain they're not fresh cut and battered there. They're the frozen variety that most places serve.
    Surprised to hear this, because we enjoyed the fried okra immensely. Everyone I was with commented how they didn't think it was the frozen variety and tasted better than the okra served elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Surprised to hear this, because we enjoyed the fried okra immensely. Everyone I was with commented how they didn't think it was the frozen variety and tasted better than the okra served elsewhere.
    Maybe he just temporarily ran out and had to substitute with frozen, but my order of okra definitely tasted way better than that when I was there last week.

10. Default Re: Lip Smackers

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I have to admit, he may have gone frozen. On my first visit the okra was cut and battered in a way that definitely made it appear fresh - irregular shapes and batter consistency.

That said, on my second visit the okra was small uniform wheels like you see from a bag of the frozen variety. Maybe he was out of the fresh or maybe he decided to cut a corner.

Maybe somebody just asks him about the okra next time they go to make sure? Not going to make it there for a while, but I'll ask when we're there if nobody has and reported back by then as we'll definitely try the okra (if it's not confirmed he's using frozen).

12. Default Re: Lip Smackers

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Maybe somebody just asks him about the okra next time they go to make sure? Not going to make it there for a while, but I'll ask when we're there if nobody has and reported back by then as we'll definitely try the okra (if it's not confirmed he's using frozen).
    I actually did.... his response, “I can’t give away all my secrets.’

Five people in the kitchen, 25 guests, it's careening out of control. 45 minute wait on burgers. Waaay overcooked. Out of some product, so decreased menu. I hope they can stabilize it. It was awesome a week ago.

14. Default Re: Lip Smackers

We went tonight, large party. Burger was decent, little undercooked for my taste but OK. Small things add up: couple of fountain drinks were out of syrup, not enough silverware, and the wait was at least 20 minutes. My food was last but it was hot. Like others stated, hopefully once the growing pains subside it becomes more stable. Jabbar was busy and apologetic.

I love the cult like following this place has gathered. I sort of even love the location. Being attached to the gas station is just so awful, its a borderline attraction.

16. Default Re: Lip Smackers

Quote Originally Posted by Colbafone View Post
    I love the cult like following this place has gathered. I sort of even love the location. Being attached to the gas station is just so awful, its a borderline attraction.
    I think what makes a hole in the wall a classic is when several basic things are working against it - like location.

Sounds like they are going through some growing pains. Hopefully they catch up soon so everyone can understand the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I actually did.... his response, “I can’t give away all my secrets.’
    Good to know, thanks, shame his secret might be frozen okra, but we'll see when we go...

Saturday lunch about 12:15. Crowd size was 25 to 30. Jabbar's son was training a girl to work the register. Had the jalapeno cheese burger, it was good, cooked nicely. Also had the sweet potato fries. Never have had them before, not impressed. Someone (in a previous post) had commented on some of the soda fountain syrups being out on past visits. They were okay on today's visit. Regarding syrup being out, NOT Jabbar's fault! Point the finger at Coca-Cola for this, since this is their fault for not taking care of their customer. All Jabbar can do is call them and complain, and if they (Coke) don't watch it, they will lose a customer. Overall it was good today, no complaints. If you're reading this but are riding the fence about trying it, get off the fence and GO!!

Confirmed switched okra.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gC11JAFjqYV6RML48

I asked about it, and he said there was no switch. The first time I had the okra--as mentioned previously--the shapes were irregular, color was bright green, and the okra seemed to still be intact. Less than 3 weeks later there's this consistent, brown, and rigid. I'd hope that the okra would be overcooked, but I'm not going to extend the benefit of the doubt.

It’s probably too time consuming. That chop size doesn’t come out of a food processor, so it almost certainly has to be done by hand. And I’ll bet the cook time is substantially longer than a frozen, par fried product. That is the case with potatoes, however you can push a potato through a slicer, but you do have to give them an ice bath to suck the excess starch out, and no fry connoisseur would stop short of doing a twice fry. That’s why your homemade fries turn brown!

Anyway I worked at the west Moore sonic in high school. When it was busy we’d have to devote an entire persons labor to the onion rings, which had to be sliced, popped into rings, ran through a conveyer belt devices that battered them, then fried and packaged. I’m guessing Jabbar doesn’t have the manpower.

Sure. That's fine. No need to lie about it though.

Went today for the first time. I had the onion dip burger and okra, wife had the mushroom swiss with fries. Dip and burger were fantastic, but messy, chips weren't fried long enough, so some weren't crisp, but they had a good taste to them. Wife said the mushrooms on her burger were good, but not great, and she thinks she'll ask for the onion dip to be added to the mushroom swiss burger next time, she loved the dip so much. Fries weren't crisp enough, but still good - like Braum's used to be decades ago. Very happy to report that the okra appears to not be frozen, looks like the first pic in Thomas's post above comparing them. Definitely going back now that Irma's is gone, but going to miss Irma's bacon - haven't found anybody yet that does it as good as they did, just the right amount of chew, crunch, thickness, and taste...

Hmm.. Maybe I'll coem back.

When I went on Friday and placed a to-go order, Jabbar insisted I help myself to some lemonade while I waited.

And of course, it was delicious. The pink variety and not overly sweet or tart -- just right.

I had the Onion Dip Burger and okra but it's all just too much food.

Next time I'm there, I may just ask for the chips with the dip and a cup of that delicious lemonade. Those homemade chips may be the best thing on the menu.

Thread Information