This place is conjoined with the janky gas/convenience store on Penn just north of I-44.

It has been several things over the years and certainly nothing that looked worth trying. And even now, from the outside you get the same impression.

I tried it on a Twitter tip from Jacob Threadgill at the Gazette and the fact I live very near. And Yelp had a couple rave reviews about the burgers and food in general, so tonight I gave it a shot.

Simply put, it was one of my favorite bugers. Ever. Like borderline Nic's good.

As a point of reference, I like Patty Wagon fine but just realized I had never bothered to go back and I also live close to that spot. Here, I will be back and soon.

For a very comprehensive review read Greg Elwell: http://www.iateokc.com/post/lip-smackers-restaurant

On top of just an outstanding 1/2 pound burger with fresh (!) fried okra pretty much perfectly prepared, the owner Jabbar is just the nicest, friendliest person you'll ever meet in a restaurant. My meal was $9.99 with tax and could have easily fed 2.

And despite the outside appearance (complete with horrible heavily tinted windows that always makes the place look closed) the inside is quite homey and clean.

Please give them a try. It's exactly the type of owner-at-the-stove place that warms your heart and the food is just outstanding.