Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lip Smackers

Default Re: Lip Smackers

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i'll have to give this a try sometime... haven't eaten at this location since it was lion's choice.
    Sorry for going off topic here, but oh man, I miss Lion's Choice. Their roast beef is fantastic! It's a required stop for me when traveling through St Louis. I hope they eventually try to expand down this way again.

Oh, and I meant to mention, I got the cheeseburger with caramelized onions with fries and a drink. It was exactly $8. That's almost the same price for any 1/3 lb fast foot burger and fries and drink. Pretty damn cheap for what you get.

I too went yesterday and had a nice chat with Jabbar. The burger was genuinely fantastic and I am very happy to go back soon.

I went back tonight and poor Jabbar was worn to a frazzle!

Said he had been pretty much overrun the last few days. I took his email address and will send him all the great reviews, including this thread.

Had another burger -- this time the onion dip -- and it was fantastic as usual.

I think his challenge will now be to keep up with the demand while maintaining his high standards. He said he is going to hire someone to help but doesn't want the quality to slip.

He was also fretting about not serving people fast enough but quickly added that everyone has been wonderfully nice to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Colbafone View Post
    Tried this for lunch today. Every burger is 1/2 lb and I got fries. It was fantastic. The owner, Jabbar, was going around to everyone there, asking how the food was and was just a generally great guy. Spoke to me for several minute, but he actually did this to everyone there. I can't recommend this place more!
    Man I love me some crinkle-cut fries.

oops

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I went back tonight and poor Jabbar was worn to a frazzle!

Said he had been pretty much overrun the last few days. I took his email address and will send him all the great reviews, including this thread.

Had another burger -- this time the onion dip -- and it was fantastic as usual.

I think his challenge will now be to keep up with the demand while maintaining his high standards. He said he is going to hire someone to help but doesn't want the quality to slip.

He was also fretting about not serving people fast enough but quickly added that everyone has been wonderfully nice to him.
    Pete, I was there Friday evening. Were you there at the same time I was?

Northwest OKC Re: Lip Smackers

Went there Friday evening. Owner was running the place solo, said he would have help the next day. Poor guy was covering cooking, taking/serving orders, and running himself ragged. Also apologized for the wait. I was very courteous and expressed my understanding.

Okay, the food. YES! I will be back. Had the Avacado and Swiss burger and it was GOOD. Half pound of meat, slice of Swiss cheese, red onion and lettuce on a bun that is very tasty, not the usual white bread hamburger bun, served with mayo. Also had the crinkle cut fries of which were hot upon receiving. Inside, it's very casual and clean. Big windows all the way around allow for lots of light. Location is part of the building of the VP Racing fuel gas station on the east side of Penn at the bottom of the west bound off ramp of I-44. Coming down Penn, I missed it (didn't know what to look for), had to turn around and go back under the highway. Seem to overhear a couple of customers say they saw the Gazette article or saw it on Facebook.

I will be returning to try the other burgers. I hope this place succeeds as we can never have too many burger joints.

Quote Originally Posted by billokc View Post
    Pete, I was there Friday evening. Were you there at the same time I was?
    Perhaps. I was there around 8PM.

I went yesterday and had the cheeseburger and fries. Pretty much ditto everything above. Outstanding.

Truly excellent burger. I tried the olive burger and do not regret one bit of it. For some reason I thought it might have olives ground into the patty, this part was incorrect but it was VERY tasty. Crinkle cut fries were great, as were the homemade potato chips, can't go wrong with either one.

Burger patty itself was flavorful, cooked well, not paper thin like so many places these days. Juicy without being overly so, the bottom bun stayed completely intact. To be fair, the lettuce leaf may have helped contribute to this, but still. It's a burger you can eat like a burger. I'll also echo the friendliness of the owner. Went in a stranger, left feeling like a friend. He is AWESOME.

13. Default Re: Lip Smackers

I haven’t eaten red meat in almost a month (down nearly 25 lbs over that time frame) but I’m due for a burger. Will have to check it out.

The red meat thing isn’t intentional, it’s just a byproduct of it carrying too many WW points...

what are the hours of operation?

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    what are the hours of operation?
    11-9 Monday thru Saturday. Closed Sunday. website www.lipsmackersokc.com

16. Default Re: Lip Smackers

Place is definitely legit. Took a group of 5 people there for lunch today. 4 had the 1/2 pound burger and one had a full pound. I had the olive burger with grilled onions and a side of okra.

Gotta say, we all really liked our burgers.

I was a little visitant to order the olive burger, but I'd definitely order it again. Meat was incredibly fresh tasting and the grilled olives were not overpowering at all.

The okra was some of the best I've ever had. It wasn't that uniform cut pre-frozen stuff. This okra appeared to be fresh cut and lightly fried. Crinkle cut fries were really good too.

Then to finish it off was an excellent piece of cheese cake with strawberry topping.

The owner was exceptionally nice and accommodating.

Hope he makes it, he commented that he is on the verge of having to close down.

He told me after his first month he was really worried but now he's been overrun with business.

However, being a good cook and a good businessman are two very different things so you never know how these places are going to fare in the mid and longer term.

Blog Entries

I’m surprised he said he was on the verge of closing. I had a long visit with him and he sounded pretty upbeat. He hasn’t been there that long.

well I'm going with a group of 9 next Monday... hopefully they stay busy and he makes it, cause I would hate to love it and then it close down shortly after

I honestly believe he meant to convey that he HAD been close to closing until recently when word got out.

As I mentioned, last Friday he had run out of several things due to overwhelming demand.

When I spoke to him, to quote him directly, he said "The first month I very nearly closed, but now...now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel."

I think he is going to be alright. And thanks Pete for pointing this place out!

22. Default Re: Lip Smackers

We asked how long he's been open and he said "about 7 weeks." Asked how business was doing and he said "It's rough, but thank you for coming. I've been on the verge of closing down since I opened, I put everything I have into this. Please tell your friends how you like it. I want to offer the best 1/2 pound burger in the country."

We got there around 12:15 and there were only 2 other tables with people. Probably two more came in while we were there. So, it's not exactly drawing a lunch crowd, so I could understand his anxiety.

Blog Entries

Honestly, it is an awful location with no real visibility. We all know how important that is. If he was anywhere downtown or in many other areas he would already be killing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Honestly, it is an awful location with no real visibility. We all know how important that is. If he was anywhere downtown or in many other areas he would already be killing it.
    Totally agree. It would never be a place I would just go in wondering if I would find food. When looking at it there is no way to tell what kind of food it serves or even that it's a restaurant. The property itself is not inviting -- the building is super janky and the grass is always a mile high. I do wish him the best.

I plan on giving this a go tomorrow. I'm in the minority when it comes to Nic's, and hope I have the same feeling everybody else here does.

Thread Information