Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: James Cooper for City Council (Ward 2)

Default Re: James Cooper for City Council (Ward 2)

It should an international scandal if joBeth loses.... especailly with the low-life Norman resident Pat McFerron helping out on Harding's campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    I do hope he wins, but I also wish a one or two of the girls running could be in other ward(s).

I think it's important to fill the council with the next generation AND more women/minorities. Only then can OKC really become the progressive urban city we all want.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSteveHunt View Post
    It should an international scandal if joBeth loses.... especailly with the low-life Norman resident Pat McFerron helping out on Harding's campaign.
    Yeah, she's really great. I hope she and James are able to pull this off.

I'm really hoping Cooper wins (I'm voting for him), but I suspect the upcoming election will not have anybody get a majority, it'll most likely be split between Cooper and Dover in the runoff. Dover might have the edge, being an old white guy that's been in the city forever and is well-connected, but maybe this time the voters have had enough of that and are ready for a change (like they were in other recent elections here in OK).

Remember to vote today!

James won Ward 2 with a clear majority; no runoff needed.

Same with JoBeth Hamon in Ward 6.

Fantastic. Between the two of them and Nikki Nice in ward 7 that's a pretty youthful contingent on the council.

Excellent results!

While not a close friend, I have known James for several years and he is highly motivated man who is passionate about what he believes in. I am very encouraged by the results tonight.

Great day for OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    James won Ward 2 with a clear majority; no runoff needed.

Same with JoBeth Hamon in Ward 6.
    This is a huge change coming to the city council !
    Generational change alone is s a shock to the system.
    But political progressives, too.
    Cooper, Hamon, and Nice on the horseshoe - wow.

Holt is under 40 as well.

Let the tidal wave of change begin. Today is truly historic. And with Couch gone, perhaps fewer obstacles to progress. So proud of James.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    Let the tidal wave of change begin. Today is truly historic. And with Couch gone, perhaps fewer obstacles to progress. So proud of James.
    Extremely impressive electoral performance by James. To clear 53% in a five-way race is insane. No other candidate passed 18 percent.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ward 2 Election Results Feb 12 2019.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	15150

OK, so who will be the swing vote on progressive issues? I see an urban block with Cooper, Nice, and Hamon, along with Mayor Holt. Who is the other vote? Stone? Greenwell? Stonecipher? The last three are fairly conservative, so it is hard to say, but I could see Greenwell coming through on transit issues. Notably, Greiner showed up to James's watch party tonight. Fairly classy move for a guy who has said he originally ran for council because he was opposed to the LGBT non-discrimination vote.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    OK, so who will be the swing vote on progressive issues? I see an urban block with Cooper, Nice, and Hamon, along with Mayor Holt. Who is the other vote? Stone? Greenwell? Stonecipher? The last three are fairly conservative, so it is hard to say, but I could see Greenwell coming through on transit issues. Notably, Greiner showed up to James's watch party tonight. Fairly classy move for a guy who has said he originally ran for council because he was opposed to the LGBT non-discrimination vote.
    Greenwell is very pro-transit... I’m not sure if he still is but I do know at one point he was riding his bike and taking the bus to work downtown from far south Okc...

Indulging in some post-election analysis. I worked on Cooper Campaign both times.

1. Ed Shadid didn't run.
    2. Ed didn't weigh in and instead focused his energy in Ward 6 and endorsed JoBeth.
    3. Cooper walked an unprecedented amount of doors and strategically identified his supporters.
    4. Cooper had a strong brand and a clear message.
    5. Cooper proved himself capable to voters as a Trustee on EMBARK's board.
    6. Voters who might never support an openly gay, bi-racial, Progressive man had four other milquetoast candidates to choose from.

Sometimes the stars align. This was Cooper's time. He put the hard work in and ended up with the ideal set of circumstances to win outright. Historically, a five-way race has always gone to a runoff. This election is unprecedented and in all ways historic.

Quote Originally Posted by Quicker View Post
    Greenwell is very pro-transit... I’m not sure if he still is but I do know at one point he was riding his bike and taking the bus to work downtown from far south Okc...
    Wasn't greenwell on record saying he wish he wouldn't have voted for the streetcar? Or he voted yes but regretfully so?

(Edit: I was thinking of Pete White)

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    Wasn't greenwell on record saying he wish he wouldn't have voted for the streetcar? Or he voted yes but regretfully so?
    Greiner, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    Greiner, IIRC.
    Pete White was the one most adamant on this point.

Called it the biggest regret of his long career on the council.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Pete White was the one most adamant on this point.

Called it the biggest regret of his long career on the council.
    That's who I was thinking of. Thanks!

Will be interesting to see where James goes on Trickle down transit... I think he'll be good.

All I remember is Pete White groaning and bellyaching about the streetcar but I don’t remember him voting for it. This is why I don’t miss Pete White. He would rail against something then vote for it? He was bizarre. I don’t know Stone at all but he seems reasonable.

Every once in a blue moon Larry McAtee makes a progressive vote.

Look forward to them fighting the Chainsmokerification of OKC. We're way better than that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	15151

Did anyone see James on Flashpoint this morning?

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    Did anyone see James on Flashpoint this morning?
    Here's a link to the video. Both James and Councilwoman Nikki Nice are so impressive.

https://kfor.com/2019/02/17/flash-po...-city-council/

No discussion on Cooper being forced to resign from his teaching position? Here is Ed's statement. Interesting to note they are now going back to the charter on things....

"It is an outrage that the Charter of OKC is forcing James Cooper to resign his teaching position at OKCPS in order to serve on the OKC Council. I'm sure that most people are not aware of the sacrifice James is making in order to serve. James knew when he decided to run, and will now make the sacrifice, but he shouldn't have to leave his kids, and forfeit a living wage, to serve the city. Not only does the City of OKC Charter essentially limit the number of people who can serve by providing a salary of only $12,000 for what is a full time job (essentially less than minimum wage) but Article 4 Section 8 states (OKC law, not state law) "No person holding office or employment under the United States Government or the State of Oklahoma, notaries public excepted, or any other State, or municipality, shall hold any office...under this City of whatever kind or nature." The only way to change this situation is with a vote of the people to change the OKC Charter which could be placed on a ballot by either a vote of the council or through initiative petition."

Thread Information