Widgets Magazine

Thread: Medical Marijuana and OK Legislators

Default Medical Marijuana and OK Legislators

Since teacher pay raise had a horrible time getting accomplished at the state capitol -it makes you wonder how difficult will it be for legislators to come to some workable agreement to get medical marijuana enacted? Additionally how long with it take them. I have major concerns.....

Default Re: Medical Marijuana and OK Legislators

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    Since teacher pay raise had a horrible time getting accomplished at the state capitol -it makes you wonder how difficult will it be for legislators to come to some workable agreement to get medical marijuana enacted? Additionally how long with it take them. I have major concerns.....
    There's nothing for the legislature to enact. The only thing they can do now is start crafting restrictions and narrowing the guidelines. The Department of Health is tasked with implementing the voter-approved law and they've indicated they have already been working on that. All the legislature can do is to delay it somehow, which could face all kinds of court challenges.

The wording was that this should be up and running within 30 days. No reason for them to delay as there are 30 other States that already have this so they can easily implement this. Of course we will prob here all kinds of excuses and junk coming out. These folks should take note of the high voter turnout across the board and understand that they shouldn't mess around with this and urge others to come to grips with reality and get it done. Someone on here said he would bet the over on this being done within 300 days. I would take that bet ( the under) as I think it's going to get done pretty quickly and def. under 300 days.

KOCO news said the legislature may not want to hold a special session. If so, I guess that means the state health department will be left to prepare to start up the medical marijuana program. I'm glad the head of the health department saw it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    KOCO news said the legislature may not want to hold a special session. If so, I guess that means the state health department will be left to prepare to start up the medical marijuana program. I'm glad the head of the health department saw it coming.
    i've got to ask... since pretty much forever around here this issue always seemed like something you've cared greatly about. do you see the outcome of this vote as a victory or do you see that there's way more work to be done?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i've got to ask... since pretty much forever around here this issue always seemed like something you've cared greatly about. do you see the outcome of this vote as a victory or do you see that there's way more work to be done?
    I was glad to see that the co-writers of SQ788, Chip Paul and Frank Grove, are not concerned that a special session was not called. Paul has formed the Oklahoma Cannabis Trade Association to try to assist the Oklahoma Health Department with the rollout. Unfortunately, another marijuana trade association, New Health Solutions Oklahoma, was disappointed there would be no special session. The head, attorney Bud Scott said, "This demonstrates a lack of leadership and demonstrates a willingness to thwart the successful, responsible implementation of a medical cannabis program in Oklahoma. Scott is also concerned that no other state has successfully launched a medical cannabis program under such a short time frame. I disagree with Scott. The State Health Department has provided the leadership needed since it started plans for implementation in April. Hopefully, enough has been learned about the great and not so great from starting up medical marijuana programs in 29 other states for Oklahoma to go forward with a smooth start. There must have been some kind of good reason in 2016 when the co-writers of SQ788 thought the program could get started so soon. Interestingly enough, the 2014 version of the their petition said that the Oklahoma State Dept. of Health shall within 120 days of passage make available on their website an application for a medical marijuana license. SQ788 says 30 days.

I see it both as a great victory with much more work to be done. As Frank Grove told a victory rally in Tulsa, "This is only the beginning for Oklahoma!"

New group forms to help set medical marijuana regulations: http://okcfox.com/news/local/new-gro...na-regulations

Sounds as though there is gathering storm to call a special session. Time will tell....

this Bud Scott guy seems like he's trying use government to monopolize the profits for himself and a few rich friends

Quote Originally Posted by ultimatesooner View Post
    this Bud Scott guy seems like he's trying use government to monopolize the profits for himself and a few rich friends
    Seems like he's trying to muck it up.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Seems like he's trying to muck it up.
    There's currently some infighting between Bud Scott and the Green the Vote coalition. Bud Scott is demanding a special session while the Green the Vote people are saying to leave it up to the health department.

https://nondoc.com/2018/07/05/echols...s-find-peace/?

Bud Scott's group is trying to place limits on the number of licenses issued because otherwise "nobody makes any money".

The guy from Green the Vote went postal in a FB live video and basically called out Bud Scott as being a shill for the Colorado and Oregon cannabis industry.

Thankfully, 788 only allows up to 25% ownership by out of state entities, but this infighting between two advocacy groups really sucks, I hope that it doesn't end up causing any delays with the process.

If somebody truly cared about the cause, I think they'd want to get the industry started ASAP. Seems like Bud Scott cares more about the business. Why would somebody demand more regulations? Likely because Bud's group has already planned how to be in compliance with the regulations that he is proposing so that him/his cronies can get a head start on competition and start building barriers to entry. Not cool, man. Not cool.

Statement from Gov. Fallin's office as of July 5:

"Nothing has changed. The governor’s office believes that asking the Legislature to pass comprehensive legislation in a special session is not realistic. The state question placed an accelerated implementation period upon the Oklahoma State Department of Health, which requires it to start the application process by July 26 and a legal framework for its decision-making by July 26 – just three weeks away. Emergency rules are the most promising path to success at this time. The Health Department has been working with 17 other agencies the past three months on emergency rules to develop a medical and proper regulatory framework for implementing State Question 788. This is much quicker and more cost-efficient than attempting to go through a special legislative session during an election cycle, and it is more likely to be successful in putting a framework in place in this very short time period and to get the process actually started as required by the law passed by the people.

In any event, the repeated calls for a difficult and costly special session are premature. The four pages of issues that the group lists today reflect a complicated and comprehensive approach. These issues have also been identified by these agencies, the governor, legislative leaders and other interested groups. Successfully dealing with them in an orderly fashion will take reasonable time and open debate. With all of the competing medical marijuana groups, it is highly unlikely that this group’s proposal will be rubber-stamped by the Legislature."

From: https://kfor.com/2018/07/05/medical-...mplementation/

State legislature attempting to thwart the will of the people and the vote. You can continue to thank the incompetent Governor and unbalanced legislature in Oklahoma. Rules need to be codified into law

They are codified by the State question and existing law.

Regulation via law, rather than rules within the law, makes for a poor and inflexible regulatory framework.

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    They are codified by the State question and existing law.

Regulation via law, rather than rules within the law, makes for a poor and inflexible regulatory framework.
    good point

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    State legislature attempting to thwart the will of the people and the vote. You can continue to thank the incompetent Governor and unbalanced legislature in Oklahoma. Rules need to be codified into law
    The governor does not want a special session, yet you still blame her? Be better with your blaming.

So if no special session the group thinks that they will gut 788 when they come back in session next year? Is that what they are saying? While the other group doesn't want a special session and wants to get this going asap. But the latter group thinks Bud's group has a hidden agenda and wants the special session to get his rules enacted.

It has taken about 2 years for our alcohol laws to finally be put in place. I can't imagine how this state can figure out marijuana laws short of 10 years.

It’s easier to make new rules for a new industry than it is to change the regulatory framework of an existing industry. That would be my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    It’s easier to make new rules for a new industry than it is to change the regulatory framework of an existing industry. That would be my guess.
    Very good point. I remember hearing about how the existing mom n' pop liquor stores were coming out as opposed to the specific state question because it would make business more difficult/less competitive for them.

Glad to hear there is NO special session still. Thanks, Mary.

The concerns are pretty straight forward. There is no enabling legislation for 788. This means that sometime soon after the Health Department Board officially codifies the 60 odd pages of suggested regulations, the lawsuits could start. The entire process will likely be halted by the courts, as the Health Department has no statutory authority to promulgate law in this area (actually, no one does at this time, cannabis is illegal). This will potentially mean that all of the current effort to procure the licensing software for production, sale and use will be unfunded... so no medical cards. So then will the the current laws governing cannabis will remain in place? IANAL, but this is the concern. So then we wait until Session and see what happens. In a non-election year a politician's best move is not to play. And I suppose that someone will need to be a legal test case to see if 788 as voted has power in its current form. If you can't get a medical card, then you might not want to go to Rogers county and use your medicine. It seems the expectation is that a person can have up to 1.5 ounces in possession and it be a $400 fine today. Without a specific section in Title who is willing to test this with law enforcement?

And no one will want to begin commercial cultivation without the law fully formed, and the issues of testing labs (there are two at the moment) being addressed. There are concerns regarding giant commercial entities setting up in the state to produce medical cannabis and making it difficult or impossible for small operations to flourish, and that is probably not a good thing.

There are many other considerations. If lawsuits start, then it will extend the timeframe that medical cannabis will be available to patients that need it.

OK may be better off passing full recreational.

Thread Information