Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
I am not disagreeing, at all. I agree that diversity is important. But my thing is putting diversity above qualifications. Now, if there is a qualified candidate found of a minority, I hope the Board will give them a fair chance. I have no idea if they will, which is not a great thing.
You assume that the boards set criteria objectively. People tend to make criteria based on what they themselves value, and things at which they themselves achieved. Do you honestly think that most white dominated boards consider graduates from traditional black schools like Spelman or Howard universities the same as from schools like Norte Dame (4% African American) or Texas A&M (3% African American)? How many diversified candidates make it into executive training paths at most companies? Etc, etc, etc. Let’s not be naive about how it works in the real world.

Btw, if you think I am angry because I’ve been one of the oppressed, I am not. I am an older white man who has been privileged to be at the executive and even c-suite level. I have worked for multinational companies and smaller ones. I believe I have a very pragmatic view of how it works.