Widgets Magazine
Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3637383940414243 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1075

Thread: OU President Gallogly

Default Re: OU President Gallogly

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This private search angle is relatively new.

I tend to think the motivation is based on wanting to control the outcome as much as possible without having to deal with input from others.
    Right. Which means that not only do all the criticisms come out immediately once the candidate is announced resulting in a negative start, but the board also can't benefit from public/media/student feedback. These private searches are not only dumb but arrogant.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I think people are starting to move beyond that.
    What evidence do you have to support this thought of yours?

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Well, considering the demographics of this country/state/university, there should be a ton of candidates who are non-white, males in every search. In reality, it's not the case as it seems they're choosing between 5-6 goold ol' boys. It's not affirmative action to have a second demographic group represented after 130 years of presidents. Just consider that Renzi Stone is on the Board of Regents. Why? Well, he's... a White guy... who is... well connected: A good ol' boy. C'mon. There is so much bias and implicit discrimination against non-White candidates that there's almost no chance the search won't be discriminatory. Don't just look at who the board chooses, but who they considered. Of course, the elitist board does it privately so they don't have to be accountable. It's a sham.

Let me add why this bothers me. I work at a university and I have worked at 4 universities over the last decade and the thing that consistently bothers me is the number of mediocre White men who quickly ascend to positions of power while more talented women and colleagues of color are passed over. I've seen it happen over and over. And I can go on and on about the mediocrity or incompetence of these dudes. I've also seen it happen at OU. It's just astounding how little attention as candidates historically marginlized groups get from leadership, but then I remember who is on the Board of Regents. Again, Renzi Stone is an example of White guy who in no way is qualified or deserving of his appointment. It's just frustrating to watch universities squander potential for their (hopefully implicit) bias.
    you thinking Renzi is not qualified shows all of your bias

Joseph Harroz named interim President

http://newsok.com/article/5631630/ou...erim-president

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Joseph Harroz named interim President

http://newsok.com/article/5631630/ou...erim-president
    Good choice!

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Good choice!
    i agree he is very very qualified

predictably the pushback against him has already started

What has not been discussed is why Gallogly is suddenly gone.

When Boren retired, he announced in September and stayed on the job during the search and didn't leave until the end of the following June.

Gallogly makes this sudden announcement and now they are saying Harroz's appointment is effective immediately and he will be in that role at least 15 months.

People are owed an explanation for the sudden departure of Gallogly, not just the BS in the press releases.

8. Default Re: OU President Gallogly

My guess? They are about to announce the Boren investigation findings and Gallogly wanted to be far away from it.

Also Harroz is a very good choice. I wish him the best and expect to see him as full president next year.

Blog Entries

you thinking Renzi is not qualified shows all of your bias
    At least Dan explains why he believes his assertion, and it seems based on significant directly applicable experience and direct observation. So, what is your basis for defending the status quo?

Renzi may indeed have some qualifications, but it doesn’t mean he was the MOST qualified. Just the most relatable to those doing the choosing. “Most like ME” doesn’t = best.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    At least Dan explains why he believes his assertion, and it seems based on significant directly applicable experience and direct observation. So, what is your basis for defending the status quo?

Renzi may indeed have some qualifications, but it doesn’t mean he was the MOST qualified. Just the most relatable to those doing the choosing. “Most like ME” doesn’t = best.
    I actually agree with you. He should have defended why he is qualified, rather than just bashing. But Stone is the CEO of Saxum, and has served on numerous Boards (PR Council, among others).

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    My guess? They are about to announce the Boren investigation findings and Gallogly wanted to be far away from it.
    But he and the regents have said over and over again he had nothing to do with this.

So why run away?

Yes, my point wasn't that Renzi Stone hasn't done anything, it's that he's less qualified than other candidates. You also can't just consider him individually, but with any organization, you have to consider what each person brings to the team. The OU Board of Regents is homogenous in so many ways that adding Renzi added little new. There are so many qualified candidates in other areas that could have contributed more. But, again, opportunities open up if you live in that same bubble as the rest of the Regents.

And, look what we get, the Regents oversee a public institution with absolutely no transparency, university, or public input? After the chaos at the university, you'd think someone might reach include faculty and students in some way? Nope. The our-homogeneous-privileged-group-knows-best-for-everyone mentality is not appropriate for public servants.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    I actually agree with you. He should have defended why he is qualified, rather than just bashing. But Stone is the CEO of Saxum, and has served on numerous Boards (PR Council, among others).
    So, what is the make-up of his client base, boards he sits on, etc.? Renzi is a smart guy and knows how to get where he wants to go.

So, what is the make-up of his client base, boards he sits on, etc.? Renzi is a smart guy and knows how to get where he wants to go.
    I have no idea. But im sensing a bias against Stone here.

Here is his bio on Saxum's website: https://saxum.com/who-we-are/about/

Harroz will fill the position vacated by James L. Gallogly, who announced his retirement on Sunday evening after just 10 months as university president.

Harroz's appointment is effective immediately and will serve as interim president for at least 15 months.
    Pretty damn wild that Gallogly quit and was interim replaced within a week. What the heck happened?

Not even a week.

Abrupt announcement on Sunday night, replacement named to start 'immediately' on Thursday night.

I wonder if Gallogly is still in Oklahoma.

17. Default Re: OU President Gallogly

Not even a week.

Abrupt announcement on Sunday night, replacement named to start 'immediately' on Thursday night.

I wonder if Gallogly is still in Oklahoma.
    It was always a rumor he flew home every weekend. Not sure he even took up much residence in the Boyd house.

It was always a rumor he flew home every weekend. Not sure he even took up much residence in the Boyd house.
    I wonder who paid for those flights?

I wonder who paid for those flights?
    he is close to being if not already a billionaire

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Again, Renzi Stone is an example of White guy who in no way is qualified or deserving of his appointment.
    You had me, until this one. Not sure what your personal beef is here, but you would be hard pressed to find many (if any) that have direct dealings with Renzi, that would agree with your sentiment.

he is close to being if not already a billionaire
    Link?

Lots of rich people take advantage of their employers.

Blog Entries

He lived in Headington Hall.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    I have no idea. But im sensing a bias against Stone here.

Here is his bio on Saxum's website: https://saxum.com/who-we-are/about/
    Here’s the thing... when bias FOR is taken away or suggested to be taken away, it feels like bias against. Instead, it’s just leveling the playing field. No one is against Stone. But it doesn’t mean he was and is the BEST.

Link?

Lots of rich people take advantage of their employers.
    link to what?? how much he is worth ?? lots of public info out there on that

Thread Information