Widgets Magazine
Page 38 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: OU President Gallogly

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: OU President Gallogly

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I believe we will see Kyle Harper take over as interim President in the upcoming couple of months.
    This would make sense.

It's unfortunate that OU lost Daniel Pullin to TCU recently as he was in consideration the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    Can you imagine how hard it will be to hire the NEXT president?
    Probably not hard at all assuming they get someone from academia somewhere as opposed to an unprepared businessman. Universities change presidents all the time, it doesn't tend to be a big drama filled event unless the selection committee chooses poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Probably not hard at all assuming they get someone from academia somewhere as opposed to an unprepared businessman. Universities change presidents all the time, it doesn't tend to be a big drama filled event unless the selection committee chooses poorly.
    I'd like to see someone connected to the legislature step in to address state funding problems. What's T.W. Shannon up to these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    I'd like to see someone connected to the legislature step in to address state funding problems. What's T.W. Shannon up to these days?
    Hes in banking. You think he would help restore more funding? He was all about massive budget cuts and tax cuts when he was speaker.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Hes in banking. You think he would help restore more funding? He was all about massive budget cuts and tax cuts when he was speaker.
    Yeah, Shannon makes no sense. He was all about cutting budgets as a state legislator.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Yeah, Shannon makes no sense. He was all about cutting budgets as a state legislator.
    He was/is a Republican. That's kind of the gig.

What a relief that this vile nutcase is going to be GingTFO soon. What a disastrous hire. A petty, vindictive corporate shill who doesn't even understand how universities are financed.

I LOL'd at the defensive, pathetic press release he issued on Sunday evening of MOTHER's DAY. He claims that he "saved" $47 million. And yet, his subpar fundraising caused donations to OU to decline by a much greater number. Typical creative accounting tricks of a swindling oilie.

I love how he used the term "false narrative" to describe the very true narrative that he was out to get Boren from the get go. He went after him before he even assumed the job. How would that be considered a "false narrative?" Being a Trumper, that is the nicest euphemism he could find for Trumpy's "fake news."

What an arrogant, classless clown. The news release is the coup de grace that best represents the nasty vindictiveness of this talentless sh-tstain.

I never thought I would see the day in which I would wish we could have Richard Van Horn back in charge. Things are so bad, that day is now. Good riddance to Glugly.

Thanks for the beer at the OU games, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Even thought he was widely disliked, he may have been the medicine the university needed to help re-arrange the house before a more permanent president could come in. Now the new president (probably another old white guy) can come in and gets a bit of a pass comparatively. Of course, the new pres has as much of a chance of hosing things up as they do of improving. We'll see.

Some of the things Boren pushed so hard for, didn't really matter, but they made him feel good. Like the National Merit Scholar thing. It really didn't impact enrollment to any degree and so what was the point? It didn't raise the overall GPA. It did, however, eat up a lot of scholarship money. I did agree that all the cultural exchange stuff was important but in order to require those credits, then they had to not require others. Again, not that im against it, by why should they not have to take both pre and post civil war history of their own country but have to take 15 hours of foreign language? It'll will be interesting to see what choices the new person makes and if they have any pet projects that affect the campus as well? That foreign language thing helped expand the languages departments and thus gave the GTAs in that department better opportunities to help cover more of their expenses. Just some thoughts.
    Boren made OU a world-class, tier-one institution with a billion dollar endowment. Glugly issued press releases and got beer at football games.

Glugly made OU look like a national joke in less than a year, and tanked our fundraising. Facts are important.

Glugly makes Schnellenberger look like a good hire.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Boren made OU a world-class, tier-one institution with a billion dollar endowment. Glugly issued press releases and got beer at football games.

Glugly made OU look like a national joke in less than a year, and tanked our fundraising. Facts are important.

+1

Even if you didnt like the guy, name-calling is silly and pointless. Plus, it's petty, and pettiness never looks good on anyone. Just be glad he is gone and move on to the next person to bag on.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post

and yet not of these are remotely FACTS

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    and yet not of these are remotely FACTS
    Except for how they are all true?

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    T.W. Shannon? Hard pass. Failed tea party candidate from Lawton with a communications degree from Cameron University and a JD from OCU. These credentials don't come close to what we should expect from a President of the University of Oklahoma.

As a general rule, if you can't get in to OU you shouldn't be given the keys.

Rumor mill says Mike Turpen will be a candidate. I'm not commenting on the merits of that suggestion - just that I've heard it. I think it is certain Harroz will throw his hat in the ring considering he did so last time and continues to see success at OU Law (one area where fundraising wasn't totally tanked in 2019)

Quote Originally Posted by aDark View Post
    T.W. Shannon? Hard pass. Failed tea party candidate from Lawton with a communications degree from Cameron University and a JD from OCU. These credentials don't come close to what we should expect from a President of the University of Oklahoma.

As a general rule, if you can't get in to OU you shouldn't be given the keys.
    Cameron is an OU associated college...along with Rogers State. At least know that much before ripping someone. The same regents approve everything for the 3 colleges.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Cameron is an OU associated college...along with Rogers State. At least know that much before ripping someone. The same regents approve everything for the 3 colleges.
    Am aware. Are you suggesting that Cameron and Rose State have the same bar to entry as OU? Cause that's my point.

Compare ACT entry requirements and you'll see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Even if you didnt like the guy, name-calling is silly and pointless. Plus, it's petty, and pettiness never looks good on anyone. Just be glad he is gone and move on to the next person to bag on.
    Some call it petty, some call it presidential

Am aware. Are you suggesting that Cameron and Rose State have the same bar to entry as OU? Cause that's my point.

Compare ACT entry requirements and you'll see what I mean.
    Suggesting someone went to these schools because they couldn't get into OU is a big assumption. People go to different schools for different reasons. Cost savings, distance, prefer smaller school, scholarships, programs, etc. I am more concerned with what they have accomplished after leaving school.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Suggesting someone went to these schools because they couldn't get into OU is a big assumption. People go to different schools for different reasons. Cost savings, distance, prefer smaller school, scholarships, programs, etc. I am more concerned with what they have accomplished after leaving school.
    That is fair. I am making a big assumption and it is an unfair one. (I'll leave the comment but I'm abandoning it) That said, T.W. Shannon's resume is not of the caliber I would expect for a job as prestigious as the Presidency of the University of Oklahoma. I'd prefer someone who knows or has worked in higher education. If we want to search outside of higher ed management and bring in a politician, he or she better be a noteworthy politician with a long history of success.

All of that said, When the Regents brought in Gallogly one of their loudest reasons was that he was "home-grown" insofar as he went to the OU College of Law. They made this statement to defend his hiring against others not chosen.

When I hear about people OU was seeking out -Condoleezza Rice, the guy from Stanford, former Governors, etc. I can't help but feel that T.W. Shannon's resume pales in comparison. An unsuccessful bid against Tom Cole? Heck, OU was considering Tom Cole. If Tom was interested he'd be a great get.

Rumor mill says Mike Turpen will be a candidate. I'm not commenting on the merits of that suggestion - just that I've heard it. I think it is certain Harroz will throw his hat in the ring considering he did so last time and continues to see success at OU Law (one area where fundraising wasn't totally tanked in 2019)
    Harroz would be a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Not necessarily true.

You’ll be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks Burns Hargis hasn’t been a grand slam for OSU.

It’s more on Gallogy than stupid business guys.

That is fair. I am making a big assumption and it is an unfair one. (I'll leave the comment but I'm abandoning it) That said, T.W. Shannon's resume is not of the caliber I would expect for a job as prestigious as the Presidency of the University of Oklahoma. I'd prefer someone who knows or has worked in higher education. If we want to search outside of higher ed management and bring in a politician, he or she better be a noteworthy politician with a long history of success.

All of that said, When the Regents brought in Gallogly one of their loudest reasons was that he was "home-grown" insofar as he went to the OU College of Law. They made this statement to defend his hiring against others not chosen.

When I hear about people OU was seeking out -Condoleezza Rice, the guy from Stanford, former Governors, etc. I can't help but feel that T.W. Shannon's resume pales in comparison. An unsuccessful bid against Tom Cole? Heck, OU was considering Tom Cole. If Tom was interested he'd be a great get.
    My comment was just to the school choice. I was not impressed with Shannon when he was in the legislature and agree that he may not be qualified based on his accomplishments.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Not necessarily true.

You’ll be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks Burns Hargis hasn’t been a grand slam for OSU.

It’s more on Gallogy than stupid business guys.
    Burns has been awesome.

Hargis was a former regent for the OSU system.

Very, very different than someone like Gallogly who had zero educational management experience of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Harroz would be a good choice.
    I had always heard Boren was grooming Harroz for the position. I think he would do a good job, but if the regents are distancing themselves from Boren I wonder if that will hurt Harroz's chances to the extent that Harroz was Boren's "guy" for the job.

Thread Information