Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: OU President Gallogly

Default Re: OU losing $36 million per year, facing nearly $1 billion in debt

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Am I correct in assuming that OU is not cash flow negative? The quote in post #249 would lead me to believe the primary causes of the losses for 2016-17 are reduced state funding left the classroom overhead structure higher than current (or future) revenue, and an unfunded pension/benefit liability?
    Significant progress has been made on this front at OU but this is what was said this last summer.

https://newsok.com/article/5598772/u...c-universities
    “Jim Gallogly, who becomes OU president July 1, said he spent months sorting out the financials of the university "and frankly I'm not pleased with what I have found.” Gallogly said expenses are outpacing income by $36 million each year and the Norman campus is nearly $1 billion in debt.”

Boren claims “The amount of debt is similar in scope to Oklahoma State University and similarly rated public universities” …..But what Boren doesn’t discuss is how under his watch OU debt rating was at one time downgraded costing OU more money to service its debt…I believe the rating has been restored? But who else has has had their debt downgraded ?

While I strongly agree the state needs to better fund OU I also strongly agree with what Gallogly says here ”OU needs to put our house in order” before asking the Legislature for more money.”

Since no responsible person likes waste I believe in the not too distant future OU will start receiving increased state appropriations along with more significant donations.

Blog Entries

What is the current bond rating for last issued bonds vs. 10 years ago?

Blog Entries

Credit ratings of universities at any one time are not necessarily indicative of the effectiveness of the current administration given all that goes into the ratings system. Gallogy knows that few people truly understand and therefore will accept whatever he says, because, after all... the man was a successful oil man and gave money to the university and is politically in the appropriate sphere for OK.

Included in any school's ratings is the level of funding (poor in OK), state growth rates (slow in OK), cash flow of the institution (still good), etc., etc. It is NOT merely a matter of total dollars of debt. That is like saying if you are 350 pounds you are surely an all pro offensive lineman.

Lack of public funding has led universities to cozy up to private lenders to preserve cash in endowments and cash flow. Almost historic low levels of interest rates has led to increased borrowing for long term infrastructure projects. The debt payment will be jeopardized if public funding continues to be de-emphasized and the student population doesn't grow to meet anticipated demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Credit ratings of universities at any one time are not necessarily indicative of the effectiveness of the current administration given all that goes into the ratings system. Gallogy knows that few people truly understand and therefore will accept whatever he says, because, after all... the man was a successful oil man and gave money to the university and is politically in the appropriate sphere for OK.

Included in any school's ratings is the level of funding (poor in OK), state growth rates (slow in OK), cash flow of the institution (still good), etc., etc. It is NOT merely a matter of total dollars of debt. That is like saying if you are 350 pounds you are surely an all pro offensive lineman.

Lack of public funding has led universities to cozy up to private lenders to preserve cash in endowments and cash flow. Almost historic low levels of interest rates has led to increased borrowing for long term infrastructure projects. The debt payment will be jeopardized if public funding continues to be de-emphasized and the student population doesn't grow to meet anticipated demand.
    Gallogly has done nothing I have seen to indicate that he isn’t telling the complete truth about OU’s financial situation….and his goals.

It seems as if he is being vilified and stereo typed by some here just because he was in oil… That is extremely narrow minded and shows a strong predisposed prejudice. I have known plenty of very intelligent hornist hard working people in oil & NG.

This and the Norman Transcript are really the only places where I have seen even a trickle of criticism. Nobody I know takes the Norman Transcript anymore.

If OU is going to be made a great world class place we simply cannot afford to not have OU operated efficiently. Those who deride the efforts to improve OU’s efficacy are undermining the effort and probably fail to really understand how competitive all aspects of the world are….including higher education.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soonerheart View Post
    Gallogly has done nothing I have seen to indicate that he isn’t telling the complete truth about OU’s financial situation….and his goals.

It seems as if he is being vilified and stereo typed by some here just because he was in oil… That is extremely narrow minded and shows a strong predisposed prejudice. I have known plenty of very intelligent hornist hard working people in oil & NG.

This and the Norman Transcript are really the only places where I have seen even a trickle of criticism. Nobody I know takes the Norman Transcript anymore.

If OU is going to be made a great world class place we simply cannot afford to not have OU operated efficiently. Those who deride the efforts to improve OU’s efficacy are undermining the effort and probably fail to really understand how competitive all aspects of the world are….including higher education.
    It’s not that he was successful in oil, but the arrogance to believe universities are like oil companies.
    And he isn’t telling lies, he’s just spinning “facts” to make it seems like something it isn’t so as to vilify the outgoing administration and make himself look good. Hmmm...who does that sound like.

It’s not that he was successful in oil, but the arrogance to believe universities are like oil companies.
    And he isn’t telling lies, he’s just spinning “facts” to make it seems like something it isn’t so as to vilify the outgoing administration and make himself look good. Hmmm...who does that sound like.
    Gallogy doesn’t believe universities are like oil companies….That’s just so wrong and really IMHO stupid because it buys a false narrative from people that were going to hate Gallogly no matter what he did and from the very start!

Gallogly, the OU BOR and many others involved in OU VERY clearly believe that adopting common modern accounting practices and efficacies that are common in the modern business world will help OU. These things should have been done many years ago.

I don’t understand why anyone who truly likes OU could be against this unless they have some invested interest in something that has its flaws and are willing to sacrifice OU’s improvement for it.

soonerheart, you don't have to agree with other people's criticisms, but at least address them. You're throwing out these broad generalizations that posters are just vilifying and stereotyping Gallogly "no matter what." If you actually read through this thread, many critiques are very specific. I mean, how often does Pete just throw out baseless, uninformed opinions? When you participate in a conversation, you learn and as a message board we can each learn a bit from each other. When you ignore others' points, you're just here to hear your own echo. Sorry, but your posts repeatedly ignore the actual arguments others are making.

Blog Entries

This thread is now just regurgitating over and over. Sooner clearly has a thing about Boren and for corporate type governance in education. He will not change his view and I doubt he will get some of us to change ours. I am opposed to OU Inc. And I am opposed to the tactic of trying to tear down someone to promote yourself. Maybe some see that as good leadership...I do not. But I think that it is a contemporary way to gain power...unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    soonerheart, you don't have to agree with other people's criticisms, but at least address them. You're throwing out these broad generalizations that posters are just vilifying and stereotyping Gallogly "no matter what." If you actually read through this thread, many critiques are very specific. I mean, how often does Pete just throw out baseless, uninformed opinions? When you participate in a conversation, you learn and as a message board we can each learn a bit from each other. When you ignore others' points, you're just here to hear your own echo. Sorry, but your posts repeatedly ignore the actual arguments others are making.
    It’s inscrutable by anyone to believe that Gallegly is so arrogance that he would believe universities are like oil companies. It’s exceptionally naive or poorly educated.... to not understand that that OU can adopt some of the proven private sector methods that can help make OU better….

Clearly there are people who are so politically charged and invested in their extreme political way of life they were never going to give Gallegly a chance from day one…That’s a very lonely existence for those living in that type of world and very, very sad.

I want OU to become that economic engine for this state. All but a few fringe elements have already embraced this…Those who are prejudging before they even see results which will take a significant amount of time are the people who are the most intolerant of other views. They seem blind to their own prejudices.

Blog Entries

It’s inscrutable by anyone to believe that Gallegly is so arrogance that he would believe universities are like oil companies. It’s exceptionally naive or poorly educated.... to not understand that that OU can adopt some of the proven private sector methods that can help make OU better….

Clearly there are people who are so politically charged and invested in their extreme political way of life they were never going to give Gallegly a chance from day one…That’s a very lonely existence for those living in that type of world and very, very sad.

I want OU to become that economic engine for this state. All but a few fringe elements have already embraced this…Those who are prejudging before they even see results which will take a significant amount of time are the people who are the most intolerant of other views. They seem blind to their own prejudices.
    This is classic. Should be pinned. The new Trumpian argument style... if someone disagrees call them stupid, blame the old administration, try to call it political, claim no one else believes it, lots of people agree, and most importantly, use the word sad. Classic,classic, classic. LOL. But, you forgot to blame CNN and fake news.

That's productive.

12. Default Re: OU losing $36 million per year, facing nearly $1 billion in debt

I would be surprised if Gallogly stays for more than a few years. Gets sent in to clean up and then moves on. I would really hope the Board of Regents will have a transparent presidential search process.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I would be surprised if Gallogly stays for more than a few years. Gets sent in to clean up and then moves on. I would really hope the Board of Regents will have a transparent presidential search process.
    i think that is the whole reason he was chosen to come in... the board of regents wanted to make some serious changes and set the university on a new path for the future. and so they brought someone in they know would do exactly what they wanted, have him here through the rough transition and then both sides move on... it happens often in businesses.

I like and respect David Boren. He was an amazing leader for the university, and accomplished a tremendous amount. Of course, after 25 years or so, I understand the idea of shaking things up and clearing out some problems. We all know that Mike Stoops was allowed to hang around way too long. It's not unreasonable to think that the academic and administrative side probably had some Mike Stoopses as well, and a new university president with no loyalties to the old way of doing things presents a good opportunity to clean up.

That said, Gallogly doesn't strike me as a long term guy at all. Pointing fingers at the old administration and burning bridges causes me to raise an eyebrow. Boren's handling of certain issues -- supporting Obama, kicking the SAEs off campus -- ruffled a lot of feathers, but they were probably political necessities. Gallogly may be able to mend fences with big money conservative donors, but the reality of higher education is that you can't run your university as "Republicantown" and get the best professors.

I love the idea of dramatically increasing OU's research budget. Even if some of it involves sucking up to large corporations, that's part of the game. Every university does that when it comes to research. It's OU's biggest weakness when it comes to AAU accreditation.

This is classic. Should be pinned. The new Trumpian argument style... if someone disagrees call them stupid, blame the old administration, try to call it political, claim no one else believes it, lots of people agree, and most importantly, use the word sad. Classic,classic, classic. LOL. But, you forgot to blame CNN and fake news.
    When Boren compares OU finances to other universities it’s a red herring distraction because few things have gone up more than the cost of attending college. Those are facts that you can't see, like it or not!

It’s really a broken system with way too many misplaced priority’s coming from people who love to tell us how smart they are...and refuse to hear other opinions even when reality bites.

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post
    I love the idea of dramatically increasing OU's research budget. Even if some of it involves sucking up to large corporations, that's part of the game. Every university does that when it comes to research. It's OU's biggest weakness when it comes to AAU accreditation.
    Many major research universities do this all the time and OU is already doing some of it….there is nothing wrong with using this method as a tool to help improve our state’s economy.

If we wish to make Oklahoma a better place to live and work we need to increase our wealth building opportunities for all….Among many other things OU can help with that mission.

A great president was once fond of saying a rising tide helps all ships.

Building up OU to AAU quality and eventual membership is something most OU people would be very proud of.

Because everyone else is improving too we must keep the ball moving forward and make OU a little better each and every day.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Just a guess but think Gallogly will be at OU until OU moved to a different conference….

Since we can expect to see people with the same business mind set appointed to the OU BOR for many years to come they will look at the CR issue with mostly the same mind set as Gallogly. They will do what is best for OU.

When OU was set to move to the PAC OU leaders were talking about how they loved the idea of rubbing shoulders with great academic / research universities ….That and great research collaboration along with a lot more money can be found in the Big Ten…which at one time according to Tramel was OU’s conference preference by a wide margin. When Boren was still at OU Tramel said that OU wanted no part of the SEC culture.

As far as conference realignment goes, absolutely everything is rumor. The story is that OU has had a silent invitation to join the SEC any time they want for a long time now. OU just doesn't want to go there. While it may be best for football, it isn't best for the university as a whole.

There are tales that Nebraska has been quietly promoting OU as an option within the Big 10. And membership there would probably be a big step up for the university. But not even the most optimistic rumors say that we've got an invite. There's a lot of "wait and see" there.

The PAC 12 has some tremendous universities, but their TV contracts are even worse than the Big 12's. They've got amazing schools like Cal, UCLA, and Stanford. And then they've got Arizona State and Oregon State. So just being in the PAC isn't necessarily an upgrade academically.

We'll have to wait and see what 2025 brings, when the Grant of Rights ends. Nobody knows what the TV contracts will look like at that stage.

Blog Entries

When Boren compares OU finances to other universities it’s a red herring distraction because few things have gone up more than the cost of attending college. Those are facts that you can't see, like it or not!

It’s really a broken system with way too many misplaced priority’s coming from people who love to tell us how smart they are...and refuse to hear other opinions even when reality bites.
    Yes, it is true, some people do refuse reality in favor of self serving spin. When we believe focusing on students and education is “misplaced priority” then it truly is sad. When we use anti-intellectualism to argue academics, it seems odd.

We all want OU to be better. The issue is whose version of better we believe in. Leadership that steps on others to elevate themselves and obfuscates reality to sell their own importance is not an ideal for students to aspire to.

20. Default Re: OU losing $36 million per year, facing nearly $1 billion in debt

I've also heard tales that Nebraska is not happy in the Big 10 and would like to return to the Big 12.

If there were an invitation for OU to join the Big 10, I would be all for it. As far as sports, it is certainly competitive with the SEC and may be better with an OU membership. My understanding is there are more stringent academic requirements to be part of the Big 10 conference that may require a significant upgrade in that area - certainly something I would support.

Yes, it is true, some people do refuse reality in favor of self serving spin. When we believe focusing on students and education is “misplaced priority” then it truly is sad. When we use anti-intellectualism to argue academics, it seems odd.

We all want OU to be better. The issue is whose version of better we believe in. Leadership that steps on others to elevate themselves and obfuscates reality to sell their own importance is not an ideal for students to aspire to.
    Operating OU inefficiently as was done under Boren doesn’t make OU a better place… Many millions of dollars in savings have already been found at OU…. that can be used to reduce the increased debt load.

We always will have limited resources.

When it came to making hard decisions that he knew would be unpopular and often painful Boren kicked the can down the road too many times.
    Thankfully we now have leaders with enough personal courage to deal with these hard problems !

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post
    As far as conference realignment goes, absolutely everything is rumor. The story is that OU has had a silent invitation to join the SEC any time they want for a long time now. OU just doesn't want to go there. While it may be best for football, it isn't best for the university as a whole.

There are tales that Nebraska has been quietly promoting OU as an option within the Big 10. And membership there would probably be a big step up for the university. But not even the most optimistic rumors say that we've got an invite. There's a lot of "wait and see" there.

The PAC 12 has some tremendous universities, but their TV contracts are even worse than the Big 12's. They've got amazing schools like Cal, UCLA, and Stanford. And then they've got Arizona State and Oregon State. So just being in the PAC isn't necessarily an upgrade academically.

We'll have to wait and see what 2025 brings, when the Grant of Rights ends. Nobody knows what the TV contracts will look like at that stage.
    A big clue to the direction OU may wish to go comes probably next year well prior to the 2025 expiration of the Big 12’s Grant of rights….It’s the length of the contract that OU signs when it renews the Sooner sports TV deal that it has with Fox. Rumor from a decent media source said it would be a short term contact and act like a bridge to a new conference.

Due to all the various factors, including the rejection that OU received from the PAC its seems it’s no longer a serious option… Several years ago under old leadership UT indicated they would not move west because of time demands.

In the 90’S UT wanted to move to the Big Ten with A&M… I could see UT following OU to the Big Ten.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I've also heard tales that Nebraska is not happy in the Big 10 and would like to return to the Big 12.

If there were an invitation for OU to join the Big 10, I would be all for it. As far as sports, it is certainly competitive with the SEC and may be better with an OU membership. My understanding is there are more stringent academic requirements to be part of the Big 10 conference that may require a significant upgrade in that area - certainly something I would support.
    There maybe a few of their fans who want it but Nebraska is not coming back…After finally receiving the full conference distribution share this year they would take a huge financial hit. Nebraska sports would be helped if the Big Ten would add OU and UT.

The Big Ten has no bylaws or academic requirements that prevent it from inviting OU.

Certainly there are things they want to see …like sound financials that are not hard to understand and a path to improved academics and research. These are all items Gallogly / OU / others are trying to improve.

The B1G presidents would know OU football will add millions of dollars to the Big Ten’s distributions.

Clearly there are people who are so politically charged and invested in their extreme political way of life they were never going to give Gallegly a chance from day one…That’s a extreme political way of lifefor those living in that type of world and very, very sad.

And your response, instead of addressing specific points, is to call those who disagree with you are "poorly educated" "fringe elements" with an "extreme political way of life" who live a "very lonely existence"... and best of all, "are the people who are the most intolerant of other views." I actually would be interested in your perspective, but your inability to participate in a conversation is disqualifying. I guess that's what the "ignore" button is for.

To everyone else, thank you for your thoughtful engagement whether we agree or not.

OU boss is a very political job. I fear Jim Gallogly is acting much like Rex Tillerson did as Secretary of State; executing a "top down" management style that does not operate outside of financial performance, or "operational efficiency". They think it does, but "enhancing the human experience" just doesn't register if it can't be financially measured.

Having said that, I find it impossible to believe that the main driver of Gallogly in his job is to make sure of the best football affiliation for OU in the next decade. And I am a 24/7 sports fiend.

Thread Information