Widgets Magazine

Thread: Comprehensive Look at Downtown Edmond Development

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Comprehensive Look at Downtown Edmond Development

No shocker Plupan but we're gonna disagree again. We're talking about what... 5 blocks? Folks shouldn't be using downtown broadway as a quick way to get between Danforth and 2th. I'd recommend Fretz or Blvd for that. If we want downtown to be walkable and to really build the type of social place that they're trying to build, we need folks to slow down through there. Pedestrians should take priority.

I'm with you on narrowing the road. I know that's been discussed.

So the right turns on red... I'm torn. I know the logic and the reasoning behind banning them. I know that studies have shown that it improves pedestrian safety and reduces sudden breaking and other incidents. But it does add an inconvenience. I do think this falls in line with people learning new habits and adjusting how they get around town.

I prefer parallel to pull in parking, but that is a significant reduction in the amount of available parking. I know there are longer term parking plans, but I still think there's value in people being able to find spots in the street.

Part of what I'd love to see with a narrowing of the road is a widening of the sidewalk. This will encourage more outdoor dining options.

Default Re: Comprehensive Look at Downtown Edmond Development

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    No shocker Plupan but we're gonna disagree again. We're talking about what... 5 blocks? Folks shouldn't be using downtown broadway as a quick way to get between Danforth and 2th. I'd recommend Fretz or Blvd for that. If we want downtown to be walkable and to really build the type of social place that they're trying to build, we need folks to slow down through there. Pedestrians should take priority.

I'm with you on narrowing the road. I know that's been discussed.

So the right turns on red... I'm torn. I know the logic and the reasoning behind banning them. I know that studies have shown that it improves pedestrian safety and reduces sudden breaking and other incidents. But it does add an inconvenience. I do think this falls in line with people learning new habits and adjusting how they get around town.

I prefer parallel to pull in parking, but that is a significant reduction in the amount of available parking. I know there are longer term parking plans, but I still think there's value in people being able to find spots in the street.

Part of what I'd love to see with a narrowing of the road is a widening of the sidewalk. This will encourage more outdoor dining options.
    Jerry, I agree with you in theory but the design of the road is should have been changed. They didn’t do that. They just slapped a number in a sign and told drivers to obey it. The few times I’ve been through there no one has. Have you noticed a difference?

But yes we do need to emphasize and prioritize pedestrian activity in downtown Edmond no doubt. I could live with the right turns on red but right now I don’t see the justification.

Thread Information