Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maps 4 ideas

Default Maps 4 ideas

Never to early to start throwing out some ideas. Mayor Holt has mentioned he wants a mental health piece included in Maps 4 so that will be in it, beyond that I haven't heard much.

Some ideas-

Public art- $50-$100 million. Hire local artists and commission them to create public works of art. Imagine driving down NW expressway and the medians are full of various works of art. This huge investment would go along way towards beautification of the city, and would be a boom to the local art community. The only guidelines would be it needs to fit the ethos, pathos or logos of OKC/OK. (it would generate significant media buzz as well, "this city is spending $100 million in public art all made by local artists." Could have positive effects on companies trying to grow here as the perception of OKC continues to change.

City canopy. $25 million. Trees anywhere and everywhere we can plant them.

More sidewalks and bike trails $50 million. This should be on every maps from now on.

Street car extension to the plaza district and OU HSC.

A lagoon by the boathouse district, maybe even on the south side of the river if they build a bridge to walk over. https://www.crystal-lagoons.com/concept-technology/
    These look awesome. It would be fun to have a beach in OKC. Right in the boathouse district seems perfect as well. $5 adults $3 for kids.

Build a beach at Lake Hefner.

Fix the boulevard to make it the urban road we thought we were gonna get before ODOT hammed it up.

What else?

Default Re: Maps 4 ideas

Flying cars

...or do we HAVE to have a MAPS4? Wasn't MAPS supposed to be temporary?

We've done some REALLY good things with it, but does it have to continue forever?

I'd like to see some cool pedestrian / bike bridges over the OK River.

All for many more sidewalks (still completely bizarre that OKC has so few, even with the last round of improvements and more coming as part of the Better Streets program) and anything to do with public transportation and recreation.

We need to give people ways to get out and walk and ride their bike. We're still way, way behind the curve here.

Would like to see more streets reduced in width (perhaps Classen) with dedicated bike lanes connecting different parts of the city to the core.

HangryHippo Guest

I'd love to see trees, bike lanes, and public transit expansion addressed. This city desperately need more trees!

Transit (more streetcar/bus service/bike infra), Trees, River activation, Arts (this one is a stretch but it would be great to set up a dedicated fund to subsidize music and art events so that they happen nightly)

When I come to OKC, it's always jarring to me to see lack of trees, lack of public landscaping along medians, thoroughfares, and certainly in front of businesses etc. With the red dirt that always pokes through it just gives the town a "dirty" feeling. So if I had unlimited resources as a private citizen, that's the hill I would die on. Those things make a huge difference in perception and quality of life.

Having said that, I'm not sure that should be the focus of something like MAPS. That's not keeping with the "transformational" aspects of the last 20 years. I'm tempted to say public transit because it's so badly needed, and sidewalks/trails etc. And there are many individual neighborhoods that could use the MAPS treatment. But I kind of feel those efforts either have momentum already and other funding sources, or are too "niche" in the case of individual neighborhoods. MAPS should be about taking the next leap as a city. Something to capture the imagination. Prepare for OKC in 2050, what does that look like? And for the future of OKC that has to be economic development in some capacity. Broaden the scope of industry in town, some way, some how. Diversity of high-paying jobs. Not Costco or Amazon warehouse incentives, for God's sake. That's a different argument but OKC needs something bolder. I don't know what that looks like. Business incubation, research, money for technology training/education, I don't know.

20 years ago, we rightly learned that we have to set up OKC as the kind of place where entrepreneurs and the creative class want to live. I think those efforts are now becoming self-sustaining. What's the next step? What are other places doing, from a public policy perspective, that are attracting the best and brightest?

Trees for certain; in the medians as well as along the river. Probably just for starters. Continue the sidewalk building. I personally would like an extension on the tax for road repaving and make it last a number of years. Come up with more amenities for the river as well as Lakes Hefner and Overholser. Overholser could be a true gem in the city, but I think it would require a master plan between Yukon, OKC, and Bethany

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    When I come to OKC, it's always jarring to me to see lack of trees, lack of public landscaping along medians, thoroughfares, and certainly in front of businesses etc. With the red dirt that always pokes through it just gives the town a "dirty" feeling. So if I had unlimited resources as a private citizen, that's the hill I would die on. Those things make a huge difference in perception and quality of life.

Having said that, I'm not sure that should be the focus of something like MAPS. That's not keeping with the "transformational" aspects of the last 20 years. I'm tempted to say public transit because it's so badly needed, and sidewalks/trails etc. And there are many individual neighborhoods that could use the MAPS treatment. But I kind of feel those efforts either have momentum already and other funding sources, or are too "niche" in the case of individual neighborhoods. MAPS should be about taking the next leap as a city. Something to capture the imagination. Prepare for OKC in 2050, what does that look like? And for the future of OKC that has to be economic development in some capacity. Broaden the scope of industry in town, some way, some how. Diversity of high-paying jobs. Not Costco or Amazon warehouse incentives, for God's sake. That's a different argument but OKC needs something bolder. I don't know what that looks like. Business incubation, research, money for technology training/education, I don't know.

20 years ago, we rightly learned that we have to set up OKC as the kind of place where entrepreneurs and the creative class want to live. I think those efforts are now becoming self-sustaining. What's the next step? What are other places doing, from a public policy perspective, that are attracting the best and brightest?
    I think you kinda contradicted yourself here.

You said trees are a huge part of quality of life.

But we shouldn’t do it because it’s not transformational enough?

Building a lagoon is pretty big. And maps isn’t setup for subsidizing high paying jobs. There’s like 30 different programs for that. Maps is for infrastructure projects that transform the city so we at least have a shot at high paying non O&G jobs.

All of what you said are good ideas, (albeit extremely difficult) but it’s not what Metro Area Projects Plan is for

Public transportation from the Airport to Downtown. For my own selfish reasons, I'd like it to go to Edmond as well, but if you want business and tourists downtown people need to be able to fly in and get there easily.

Blog Entries

Google Maps: https://www.google.com/maps/place/N+...!4d-97.5143592

Streetcar extension & related: $150 million dedicated to the streetcar expansion & support infrastructure and more bike lanes. About 8 miles to expand the streetcar route to Film Row, up Classen Blvd., to Paseo (23rd N.W.); HSC: ...angle/spur from N.W. 5th Broadway onto Harrison (under I-235) east to N.E. 8th into the OUHSC

EST: $104 million new rail line.
    $25 million, an extra streetcar
    $21 million, Decorative stops, cycletrack protected bike lanes (Downtown, Classen Blvd., Paseo, Harrison Ave., to OUHSC

Cycletrack protected bike lanes

Harrison Avenue to Research Park to OUHSC @N.E. 8th Street.

11. Default Re: Maps 4 ideas

I love a lot of the ideas thrown out there. After seeing the water park and rapids park, I might suggest a wave pool and lazy river like Typhoon Lagoon at Disneyworld. Also, as a huge fan of the canal system, an extension to the west side of the tracks into the park would be very cool.

MAPS for Transportation: Trees, streetscapes, bike lanes and trails, sidewalks, better bus stops/service, streetcar expansion. Sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    Trees for certain; in the medians as well as along the river. Probably just for starters. Continue the sidewalk building. I personally would like an extension on the tax for road repaving and make it last a number of years. Come up with more amenities for the river as well as Lakes Hefner and Overholser. Overholser could be a true gem in the city, but I think it would require a master plan between Yukon, OKC, and Bethany
    Overholser, Hefner, and even Draper to a lesser extent could all be major assets to the city but even with the new activities at Hefner and overholser still seem under utilized. They have so much potential.

New amphitheater on the river would be number one on my wish list.

Because the Chamber is always heavily involved in these initiatives, it's almost a lead-pipe cinch they will push for the new fairgrounds arena and probably even to expand the convention center.

Transit and sidewalks would be actually useful things. But a giant new arena/stadium is probably going to make its way onto the list.

Complete everything promised for MAPS3 first.

Public Transportation (streetcar expansion to Capitol Hill, NW 23rd, Plaza, and OU Health Center; Sunday service; better bus service); road diets/sidewalks; trees

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by okccowan View Post
    Public Transportation (streetcar expansion to Capitol Hill, NW 23rd, Plaza, and OU Health Center; Sunday service; better bus service); road diets/sidewalks; trees
    Good point about streetcar expansion to Capitol Hill and the south side... We also have a unique Stockyard City that deserves preservation and development.

I think the Chamber will also make a big push for some version of the Innovation Link (cap over I-235).

I would like to see the connecting of OUHSC to the core as well as a connection between the core and down to capitol hill. Also a direct link between WRWA and downtown via rail would be nice. Is there not a bus that goes between the airport and downtown?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by austinriley View Post
    Public transportation from the Airport to Downtown. For my own selfish reasons, I'd like it to go to Edmond as well, but if you want business and tourists downtown people need to be able to fly in and get there easily.
    I agree about airport transportation, but it should go to Santa Fe and then when Santa Fe/Commuter Rail to Norman/Edmond get done your wish will be fulfilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I think the Chamber will also make a big push for some version of the Innovation Link (cap over I-235).
    Wouldn't be opposed to that. That would be really cool.

I want my lagoon though.

Blog Entries

MAPS IV should almost be "MAPS for MAPS", where we restore/renovate all the projects from earlier MAPS programs that have fallen into disrepair. Ballpark needs repairs and upgrades. I'm sure other programs could use it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Never to early to start throwing out some ideas. Mayor Holt has mentioned he wants a mental health piece included in Maps 4 so that will be in it, beyond that I haven't heard much.

Some ideas-

Public art- $50-$100 million. Hire local artists and commission them to create public works of art. Imagine driving down NW expressway and the medians are full of various works of art. This huge investment would go along way towards beautification of the city, and would be a boom to the local art community. The only guidelines would be it needs to fit the ethos, pathos or logos of OKC/OK. (it would generate significant media buzz as well, "this city is spending $100 million in public art all made by local artists." Could have positive effects on companies trying to grow here as the perception of OKC continues to change.

City canopy. $25 million. Trees anywhere and everywhere we can plant them.

More sidewalks and bike trails $50 million. This should be on every maps from now on.

Street car extension to the plaza district and OU HSC.

A lagoon by the boathouse district, maybe even on the south side of the river if they build a bridge to walk over. https://www.crystal-lagoons.com/concept-technology/
    These look awesome. It would be fun to have a beach in OKC. Right in the boathouse district seems perfect as well. $5 adults $3 for kids.

Build a beach at Lake Hefner.

Fix the boulevard to make it the urban road we thought we were gonna get before ODOT hammed it up.

What else?
    An urban tree plan needs to include irrigation. That will eat up a lot of funding. And let's not forget about maintenance. But everyone loves trees. With climate change, and hotter, drier, summers, planting a bunch of trees is still a major risk.

Thread Information