Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: House Music Nightclub in OKC

Default House Music Nightclub in OKC

I want a dance club in OKC that has pro dj's spinning current house music. Specifically underground progressive/tech/deep/electro house. There was a club in Dallas in the mid 90's called Club One that was in Deep Ellum, or Ministry of Sound in London, their main room. That is what I have in mind. Very dark interior with minimal stark lighting. Lasers. Premium sound system. House music all night long 'til the sun comes up. There's always the The Wreck Room which is an institution but everything else here now clubwise is EDM or trap or mainstream pop. The club I want is centered on music and dancing. Not a place to be seen at or to sit around and mingle. No dress codes. No attitude. Just massively loud, pounding bass with sweaty bodies moving to the beat. If there is someone with a fat wallet that wants to do something fun I could help put this together. Or you could do it and I will just go.

Default Re: House Music Nightclub in OKC

Did you ever go to Robotic Wednesdays at the old Kamps on Classen?

Exactly as you described and operated for years until very recently.

Robotic wed was great and they moved it to Angles for like a month but then it fizzled.
    OKC does have a hole in its club culture, However some of the nights they put on at Sauced on Paseo capture good memories for me.
    they did an all vinyl night this past weekend with three DJ's spinning only vinyl..

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    Robotic wed was great and they moved it to Angles for like a month but then it fizzled.
    OKC does have a hole in its club culture, However some of the nights they put on at Sauced on Paseo capture good memories for me.
    they did an all vinyl night this past weekend with three DJ's spinning only vinyl..
    GTK, as I think your tastes and mine seem to intersect somewhat, based on past posts. We live about 5 mins from Sauced, have only eaten there during the day, will have to check this out, thx for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

I loved Robotic Wednesdays. Unfortunately I couldn't go very often having a M-F 8-5 job. There also used to be one in Bricktown but I forget what it was called. Frequency maybe?

I agree though this is a hole in OKC's club scene. The closest thing you are going to find currently is some Saturday nights at Sauced on Paseo. Maybe Ed Crunk, who posts here, knows of something? He used to DJ Robotic Wednesdays.

I don't know why somebody doesn't reopen Angles as that exact type of club. It's a perfect venue for it.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I don't know why somebody doesn't reopen Angles as that exact type of club. It's a perfect venue for it.
    the owners of Angles just aren't interested in doing much with it. they also own Copa and Finishline and just open ANGLES for events. not interested in selling it because it would be competition.. sad

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    GTK, as I think your tastes and mine seem to intersect somewhat, based on past posts. We live about 5 mins from Sauced, have only eaten there during the day, will have to check this out, thx for the tip.

every first Friday they do a retro dance party at sauced.. youd dig it. its in back area beyond that Side of Sauced bar part.

every first Friday they do a retro dance party at sauced.. youd dig it. its in back area beyond that Side of Sauced bar part.
    Is this inside and do they allow smoking?

Pete it is inside in that side space.. its an odd layout but kinda fits the vibe of that kind of dance party. no there is no smoking inside. people step out of the far west door and smoke on the street there. there is a bar back tucked in that space as well besides the bar in the seated space of Side of sauce. they have dance parties back there a lot actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Not exactly as i described at all. I went occasionally. Decent sound system, but mostly EDM and Dubstep when I was there. Not straight up house. It's a different vibe. Plus it was small and just a bimonthly event in a converted room anyway. That's not a club. I'm talking about a dedicated establishment that's there each weekend on the reg. Also, closing at 2 am is just annoying. All the great cities in the world have had clubs like this for decades where the party doesn't stop until dawn. OKC just isn't cosmopolitan enough to do this correctly. Have to keep going to Dallas. I was only dreaming out loud here anyway. Forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Myers View Post
    Not exactly as i described at all. I went occasionally. Decent sound system, but mostly EDM and Dubstep when I was there. Not straight up house. It's a different vibe. Plus it was small and just a bimonthly event in a converted room anyway. That's not a club. I'm talking about a dedicated establishment that's there each weekend on the reg. Also, closing at 2 am is just annoying. All the great cities in the world have had clubs like this for decades where the party doesn't stop until dawn. OKC just isn't cosmopolitan enough to do this correctly. Have to keep going to Dallas. I was only dreaming out loud here anyway. Forget it.
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by GoThunder View Post
    Lol
    Solid argument.

the owners of Angles just aren't interested in doing much with it. they also own Copa and Finishline and just open ANGLES for events. not interested in selling it because it would be competition.. sad
    I don't know where you got this from. The owner of Angles and The Wreck Room actually placed an ad in the Gazette just a few years ago offering them both for sale. I called him and we discussed it. He wanted a lot for them. He is not concerned about competition to the other businesses. That area sustained quite well for a long time with multiple clubs around. It was a natural club crawl. He was just ready to move on from it.

It's the stupid blue laws that are always the elephant in the room in Oklahoma. Little Rock, Arkansas has Discovery Nightclub, which is open until 5am. Two dance floors, one playing electronic music and the other playing Top 40. Another room has drag shows. It's a blast. And since its open long after everything else closes it's where everyone ends up and is packed every weekend. A club like that could never happen in OKC because of the laws here.

It's the stupid blue laws that are always the elephant in the room in Oklahoma. Little Rock, Arkansas has Discovery Nightclub, which is open until 5am. Two dance floors, one playing electronic music and the other playing Top 40. Another room has drag shows. It's a blast. And since its open long after everything else closes it's where everyone ends up and is packed every weekend. A club like that could never happen in OKC because of the laws here.
    We've actually had plenty of after hours clubs in OKC and Norman since the 80's. The Wreck Room used to always stay open until the last dancer left. 'The 13th Floor' on Lindsay St. in Norman was a house and techno after hours club with a breakfast buffett served at 5am. The Bat Cave was in Bricktown back before the money came in. Plus a bunch more. You just can't serve alcohol after 2am.

We've actually had plenty of after hours clubs in OKC and Norman since the 80's. The Wreck Room used to always stay open until the last dancer left. 'The 13th Floor' on Lindsay St. in Norman was a house and techno after hours club with a breakfast buffett served at 5am. The Bat Cave was in Bricktown back before the money came in. Plus a bunch more. You just can't serve alcohol after 2am.

And, there's your problem. I've been to the after hours clubs/parties in OKC and it's the same 20-30 people and many aren't even 21. Not really a cosmopolitan vibe you describe. OKC just doesn't have the volume of house or even EDM fans to support what you are suggesting.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLucky View Post
    [/B]

And, there's your problem. I've been to the after hours clubs/parties in OKC and it's the same 20-30 people and many aren't even 21. Not really a cosmopolitan vibe you describe. OKC just doesn't have the volume of house or even EDM fans to support what you are suggesting.
    A lot of people say this but I don't think it's the case. I just think such a thing is difficult to do within the confines of Oklahoma bar/club laws. Remember that it's not just that establishments with ABC-3 licenses have to stop serving alcohol by 2am, they have to have everyone vacated from their premises. Any establishment that stays open later cannot serve alcohol period and a dance club that doesn't serve alcohol simply doesn't make a lot of business sense. If Oklahoma had a special liquor license that allows bars to stay open later than 2am like Texas, Arkansas, and Georgia do, I think such a club culture could happen here.

I don't know where you got this from. The owner of Angles and The Wreck Room actually placed an ad in the Gazette just a few years ago offering them both for sale. I called him and we discussed it. He wanted a lot for them. He is not concerned about competition to the other businesses. That area sustained quite well for a long time with multiple clubs around. It was a natural club crawl. He was just ready to move on from it.
    they are not interested in selling currently because they may need to use the space if the Habana sells and they no longer have the space for Copa or Finishline. they would then be forced to use the ANGLES space for their club business. but clearly you know more than me.

they are not interested in selling currently because they may need to use the space if the Habana sells and they no longer have the space for Copa or Finishline. they would then be forced to use the ANGLES space for their club business. but clearly you know more than me.
    Well, which is it? First you make the claim about not selling because of competition and now this. They wanted to sell in the past. That's a fact. So it seems that in the long run not finding a buyer may be a good thing since Habana is now in play. Apparently we both know things. The more you know...

OKC used to be cosmopolitan enough to do it, back in the late 80s - early 90s (as you allude to in another post). Clubs on Classen and in Bricktown (501, I think, among others, Bullbear will remember the names better than me) stayed open until pretty much dawn, I remember coming out blinking and going to eat at Girlie Pancake House afterwards (never ever Denny's).

Which laws are you referring to that are different than other states? Please be more specific.

You can find a list of last call times for states here and almost every state closes at 2am, including Arkansas and Texas (which were both mentioned in this thread): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_c...#United_States There seem to be exceptions in some locations so that would be interesting to learn more about how most states handle municipal or property exceptions.

From my experience, Texas laws aren't better than Oklahoma. When I first lived in DFW I was in a major college town and the county was dry. You couldn't buy liquor at all and you had to be a member of a bar to drink. This changed 2 years ago. Lol. I never experienced that in any of the 4 counties in which I lived in Oklahoma. Also, you can't buy alcohol after midnight in Texas, but you can buy until 2am in Oklahoma.

Are there different laws you're referring to besides last call laws though?

23. Default Re: House Music Nightclub in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post

You can find a list of last call times for states here and almost every state closes at 2am, including Arkansas and Texas [/url]
    Not sure if it's possible here or not but there are BYOB Gentlemen's Clubs in Dallas staying open until 5 AM now.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Which laws are you referring to that are different than other states? Please be more specific.

You can find a list of last call times for states here and almost every state closes at 2am, including Arkansas and Texas (which were both mentioned in this thread): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_c...#United_States

Are there different laws you're referring to besides last call laws?
    I could be wrong but had heard from owners before there were some issues with staying open past 2, even if you had last call and no longer served alcohol. where in other states they can simply stop service clear drinks and stay open past 2 legally.

I could be wrong but had heard from owners before there were some issues with staying open past 2, even if you had last call and no longer served alcohol. where in other states they can simply stop service clear drinks and stay open past 2 legally.
    The way it works in OKC has always been that a night club must literally lock up the alcohol in some official manner at 2am. Similar to how convenience stores here do the same thing each night. That is all that is required for a club to remain open as late as it likes.

Thread Information