Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Birdies Korean Fried Chicken (formerly Matty McMillen's)

Far North Birdies Korean Fried Chicken (formerly Matty McMillen's)

https://newsok.com/article/5597341/m...th-the-sooners

"McMillen, who has been president of the Bob Stoops Champions Foundation, said he plans to keep working on projects with Stoops and also will go into business with Oklahoma City restauranteur Hal Smith, who is opening a Matty McMillen’s Irish Pub at NW 150th and Pennsylvania in OKC."

Sounds like HSRG has a new pub in the works for up near the already existing Neighborhood Jam in North OKC/Edmond.

Default Re: Matty McMillen's Irish Pub - Hal Smith Restaurant Group

This is the Irish pub I mentioned that will be taking the place of Hollie's at NW 150th & Penn.

Default Re: Matty McMillen's Irish Pub

Press release:

NEW CONCEPT, MATTY MCMILLEN’S TO OPEN IN NORTH OKC

OKLAHOMA CITY – An all-new restaurant and pub, Matty McMillen’s plans to open this summer, and will be located at 2201 NW 150th St. in Edmond.

This pub-inspired eatery welcomes all ages and plans to release a delicious menu and drink selection. Matty’s will proudly carry a wide variety of Irish and American whiskeys and scotches, in addition to beers and fun specialty drinks such as Guinness Floats (ice cream and Guinness) and Eden’s Apple (Hard cider and Guinness).

The building will seat about 230 people in the 6,000 sq. foot space, featuring the choice between community and high-top tables. Be on the look out for upcoming events like Kegs & Eggs, a buffet brunch hosted every Saturday and Sunday created to be the perfect hangover cure. This brunch will feature an omelet bar, Bloody Mary station, along with $2 mimosas and $13 mimosa carafes.

Matty McMillen’s looks forward to being a part of the north OKC and Edmond community. “We are excited to bring Matty’s to life in this area of the metro. With this restaurant, comes a lot of inspiration for great memories to be made. We look forward to serving each guest and developing relationships with the community,” says Area Partner, Ross Crain.

Matty McMillen’s hours are Monday – Thursday 3 p.m. to 10 p.m., Friday 11 a.m. to 10 p.m., and Saturday – Sunday 10 a.m. to 11 p.m.
    For more information, please visit www.mattymcmillens.com and follow Matty Mcmillen’s on Facebook and Instagram.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MattyMcMillens/
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/matty_mcmillens/

Founded in 1968, Hal Smith has created restaurants that enhance the senses through inspired architectural settings, excellent service, and cuisines that heighten the taste palates. Based in Norman, Okla., Hal Smith’s foundation is rooted in cities and neighborhoods across the Midwest. Today, Hal Smith Restaurants operates nearly 80 locations in seven states and employs more than 6,000 employees. For more information, visit halsmith.com/media.

A friend of mine from elementary school through high school is the kitchen manager there.

My grandson works there. He's a college student making a few bucks while attending summer school and plans on working during the fall and spring semesters. He worked there when it was Hollie's and he has been retained. He has the same last name as mine, so if he gives you good service, drop a dime or two tip on the boy just like you would any good server. If he doesn't give you good service, tip appropriately and he will learn a good lesson!
    C. T.

Opens 8/13.

Anyone been?

Hours:
    Mon thru Thurs 3 PM - 10 PM
    Fri 11 AM - 11 PM
    Sat 10 AM - 11 PM
    Sun 10 AM - 10 PM

Took a look at the menu, it looks pretty good. One thing that leapt out at me was they list, on their shot menu, an Irish Car Bomb. I always understood this to be offensive to the Irish, and that one should never order one in a proper Irish pub unless they wanted to be thrown out. Personally, it's my favorite shot, but I'm surprised they printed it on the menu.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    Took a look at the menu, it looks pretty good. One thing that leapt out at me was they list, on their shot menu, an Irish Car Bomb. I always understood this to be offensive to the Irish, and that one should never order one in a proper Irish pub unless they wanted to be thrown out. Personally, it's my favorite shot, but I'm surprised they printed it on the menu.
    I think that rule more pertains to Americans abroad in Ireland/North Ireland, but it is probably safe to assume that if you don't see it on a menu then you shouldn't ask for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeBurner View Post
    I think that rule more pertains to Americans abroad in Ireland/North Ireland, but it is probably safe to assume that if you don't see it on a menu then you shouldn't ask for it.
    Agreed, just thought if a place is calling themselves an Irish pub and trying to recreate that, they'd not list it on the menu out of respect for that tradition. I don't really care either way, just caught me off guard. Not sure if Sean offers that on the menu at his place, but I doubt it.

Being a Hal Smith concept, you can be sure this is a restaurant first and foremost, regardless of using the pub name.

I'm anxious to try it.

Agreed, just thought if a place is calling themselves an Irish pub and trying to recreate that, they'd not list it on the menu out of respect for that tradition. I don't really care either way, just caught me off guard. Not sure if Sean offers that on the menu at his place, but I doubt it.
    McNellies does car bombs, at least on SPD. Don't know if you consider them an Irish Pub, or just a bar masquerading as one. I could see the case for both.

Saw a pic on Yelp of an Irish Car Bomb at Sean's pub, not sure if he offers it on an official menu, though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Saw a pic on Yelp of an Irish Car Bomb at Sean's pub, not sure if he offers it on an official menu, though.
    That works out for me, then, next time I'm in there!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Being a Hal Smith concept, you can be sure this is a restaurant first and foremost, regardless of using the pub name.

I'm anxious to try it.
    The menu looks good. I hope to get over there at some point to try it, but Sean's is so close to me, and I like to support the Cummings. If they do lunch, maybe that'll be the ticket...

I'm anxious to try it.
    Keep me posted? I'll buy ya whatever to celebrate the gazette news.

I currently live in Dublin. I think most people would roll their eyes and a good number of folks won't care. I'm not sure how it would be up north in Belfast though.

I just asked a colleague and he said he always wanted to try it but he hasn't had a chance yet.

My wife and I have gone to their "eggs & kegs" brunch, which is a small buffet of breakfast and lunch items, a couple of times and really enjoyed it. This past weekend, on of the chefs told us they are doing away with the buffet concept and have instead, developed a brunch menu that should start in the next couple of weeks. We'll definately be back in to try the new menu.

19. Default Re: Matty McMillen's Irish Pub

We went once a few weeks ago because the Sports Animal was there with Bob Stoops talking about tending bar occasionally. We’ve become regulars. We haven’t had a thing on the menu that we didn’t love. Very nice and attentive staff. BTW, we always sit at the bar so I can’t speak for the floor staff but I’m sure they’re good too. Always multiple managers on the floor and they all stop and ask if everything is doing good.

Great place to go. Very Attentive people. Food is good as well

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    We went once a few weeks ago because the Sports Animal was there with Bob Stoops talking about tending bar occasionally. We’ve become regulars. We haven’t had a thing on the menu that we didn’t love. Very nice and attentive staff. BTW, we always sit at the bar so I can’t speak for the floor staff but I’m sure they’re good too. Always multiple managers on the floor and they all stop and ask if everything is doing good.
    Well, I can speak for the floor staff, they are great (my grandson is one of them). I do like sitting at the bar but when my grandson is working (part time college student) I sit at a table so that he can get my tip.
    C. T.

Moving to Norman? Closing today apparently. Weird....

Closed today and employees given the option to transfer to another HSRG restaurant.

Talked to someone at Hal Smith and they aren't sure what is next for the spot, if anything.

Closed today and employees given the option to transfer to another HSRG restaurant.

Talked to someone at Hal Smith and they aren't sure what is next for the spot, if anything.
    Any idea what the cause was? They just think there is a better opportunity in Norman?

A move to Norman might make them an option for me now...

Thread Information