Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Birdies Korean Fried Chicken (formerly Matty McMillen's)

1. Default Re: Matty McMillen's Irish Pub

I am not sure where they will put this in Norman that won't cannibalize their other restaurants. Maybe in UNT area?

Default Re: Matty McMillen's Irish Pub

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I am not sure where they will put this in Norman that won't cannibalize their other restaurants. Maybe in UNT area?
    but even there would cannibalize Red Rock, and Pub W some....

Pub W is in Brookhaven I believe, which is on the other side of 35. Red Rock and McMillen's are dissimilar enough to coexist in UNP

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Pub W is in Brookhaven I believe, which is on the other side of 35. Red Rock and McMillen's are dissimilar enough to coexist in UNP
    yes, and brookhaven is mile away, and so still think that is extremely close for a similar restaurant. and yes, red rock and mcmillens are dissimilar enough in terms of food, but you really do cannibalize on your bar market.

the only part of norman that would really make sense would be if there if they are going to put it on the east side of norman

5. Default Re: Matty McMillen's Irish Pub

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    yes, and brookhaven is mile away, and so still think that is extremely close for a similar restaurant. and yes, red rock and mcmillens are dissimilar enough in terms of food, but you really do cannibalize on your bar market.

the only part of norman that would really make sense would be if there if they are going to put it on the east side of norman
    Main street would make sense but they already have The Winston. I am not sure I see Hal Smith trying to put a place in Campus Corner with the rent prices like they are. Not to mention the competition.

They did put the new El Huevo off of the highway on Tecumseh. Thought that was an interesting place to put one.

Main street would make sense but they already have The Winston. I am not sure I see Hal Smith trying to put a place in Campus Corner with the rent prices like they are. Not to mention the competition.

They did put the new El Huevo off of the highway on Tecumseh. Thought that was an interesting place to put one.
    HSRG already had Louie's on CC so that would disqualify based on your proximity arguement.
    The GARAGE is closer to JAM & WINSTONS than a mile. With all the hotel rooms in UNP I think UNP is the best place, more so than East Norman. Hal is from Norman and is successful. I think he knows what he is doing.

So, if Matty McMillen works with the Bob Stoops Champions Foundation as his day job I would think that his home base is in Norman. And he might want to stay closer to home for his Hal Smith Group location. And the Hal Smith Group knows what they are doing in placing the new location.

8. Default Re: Matty McMillen's Irish Pub

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    HSRG already had Louie's on CC so that would disqualify based on your proximity arguement.
    The GARAGE is closer to JAM & WINSTONS than a mile. With all the hotel rooms in UNP I think UNP is the best place, more so than East Norman. Hal is from Norman and is successful. I think he knows what he is doing.
    I forgot that Louies existed! I got food poisoning from one a long time ago and just have left it out of my mind. I guess they did put a PubW right next to a Louies in Brookhaven Village.

Interesting to see where this goes!

It's right next to where Hal Smith is building his new HQ.

There’s a dumpster here with what looks like prep for a new build-out? Any info?

Quote Originally Posted by mgharfeh View Post
    There’s a dumpster here with what looks like prep for a new build-out? Any info?
    It's going to be some sort of medical facility.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Makes sense. There's a stand alone ER next to it and a senior living across the street.

Ugh, I get it, but it's very frustrating for every corner to have some combo of carwash, urgent care/ER, nail salon. I thought this was a very good location with average at best concepts and then HSG just gave up on it. Sucks because Teds and Jam are pretty consistently packed.

The west half of this space is going to be Birdies Korean Fried Chicken.

I asked and this is not affiliated with the Hal Smith Restaurant Group.

They are planning a pergola and patio facing 150th.

15. Default Re: Matty McMillen's Irish Pub

Saw Cathey drop a post that mentioned this place yesterday but not where it was going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Saw Cathey drop a post that mentioned this place yesterday but not where it was going to be.
    Love how he does restaurant update articles which should be labeled "Things I read on OKCTalk".

Just found out that Birdie's Korean Fried Chicken is a venture of chef Kevin Lee of Gogi Go fame.

Should be pretty good.

18. Default Re: Birdies Korean Fried Chicken (formerly Matty McMillen's)

My favorite fried chicken I ever had was in Seoul, so I'm really excited about this.

19. Default Re: Birdies Korean Fried Chicken (formerly Matty McMillen's)

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    My favorite fried chicken I ever had was in Seoul, so I'm really excited about this.
    If you find yourself in Kansas City check out Kobi Q. Great Korean Fried Chicken.

20. Default Re: Birdies Korean Fried Chicken (formerly Matty McMillen's)

If you find yourself in Kansas City check out Kobi Q. Great Korean Fried Chicken.
    Thanks for the suggestion!

Default Re: Birdies Korean Fried Chicken (formerly Matty McMillen's)

I'm excited! Korean Fried Chicken might be my favorite fried chicken.

They posted on social media that they plan to open later this month (April).

They posted they plan to open sometime next week.

Here is their menu:

https://www.birdiesfc.com/menu

They posted they plan to open sometime next week.

Here is their menu:

https://www.birdiesfc.com/menu
    The fact they charge $6 for an Arnold Palmer by calling it a cocktail doesn't give me the urge to run over there and spend my money.

25. Default Re: Birdies Korean Fried Chicken (formerly Matty McMillen's)

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    The fact they charge $6 for an Arnold Palmer by calling it a cocktail doesn't give me the urge to run over there and spend my money.
    That is an upsetting choice for sure...especially with the fountain option having both Tea and lemonade for $3 to assemble yourself. However the rest of the menu looks good to me! The photos and video on their instagram look SO good!

Thread Information