Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Village OK Happenings

Default Re: Village OK Happenings

So I know in the release it says that not everything is funded. When will we know more about what will get built and what will have to wait?

We have about $2 million from the bonds to start with. But yes, to fully fund everything it is going to cost much more. Our consultant is now doing some cost estimates so we know what we are looking at. Once we get those numbers, we can figure out a way forward.

Well, it's been entertaining, the last 2 days watching all the traffic exit Britton westbound between Penn and May cause they have no clue that the western half of Britton is closed bc they are starting construction.

I'm glad to see the construction start. Can't wait to see the final result.

It's been something of a goat rodeo for sure... but things seem to have settled down a bit as outlanders have discovered that cutting through the Village via Village Drive and Carlton are not the most efficient ways to go - especially if they want to turn north off Carlton and Penn or south off Carlton and May. As soon as the police convince them that the speed limit of 35 doesn't carry over to the residential streets, all will be well. Those of us who are living here are just looking forward to the better roads.

It's been a minute since an update was posted about new commercial developments in The Village and upcoming infrastructure/park improvements. If you all want to see any specific plans/pics, let me know. It was just a lot at once to post here.

COMMERICAL DEVELOPMENTS

Coulter Express Car Wash - We approved a PUD for this car wash at our last meeting which will be built immediately south of the OnCue on May. It will replace the old Ethan Allen store that has served as a youth/community center for the Baptist church for a number of years now. There only other location is off I-35 in Edmond. https://coulterexpress.com

HTeaO - A building permit was approved in May for the new to Oklahoma franchise. This will be one of their first stores in the state and will be located on the site of the old Manhattan Cleaners. It's a really interesting concept and I'm excited to see how it goes. All you iced tea drinkers can rejoice! https://www.hteao.com/

Offices on May - These will replace the old car wash that was next to the Dollar General on May. Two buildings, two stories each.

Offices on Hefner - These are being built on Hefner Rd. adjacent to the Chabad Jewish Community Center. Two buildings, two stories each.

Braums - Not new, but construction has finally started!

Old Circle K at May/Britton - The rumor mill is still well at work on this site. I've heard a couple of things but nothing official has come through. So stay tuned!

INFRASTRUCTURE PROJECTS

The council approved several projects in the city's capital budget and we will also begin the final round of 2018 GO Bond improvements this fall. The types of projects included in all of this are street resurfacing, sidewalk installation, drainage improvements, new and upgraded signalization projects (mainly May/Lakeside and Britton/Penn) and park improvements. Way too many things to list, but here's a map where I'm trying to track all of it. Anything in orange is slated to be completed this fiscal year. https://bit.ly/2U4UZZN

I try to get over here and post updates as I can. If you'd like a more regular update of what is going on, please go follow my page on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/councilmembersonnywilkinson/

Thank you Mr. Wilkinson! These updates are super fun to read. It’s great to see momentum happening in the lesser talked about parts of town.

I hear retail (cell phone) at Britton and May. Anything but another payday lender at that intersection.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by swilki View Post
    It's been a minute since an update was posted about new commercial developments in The Village and upcoming infrastructure/park improvements. If you all want to see any specific plans/pics, let me know. It was just a lot at once to post here.

COMMERICAL DEVELOPMENTS

Coulter Express Car Wash - We approved a PUD for this car wash at our last meeting which will be built immediately south of the OnCue on May. It will replace the old Ethan Allen store that has served as a youth/community center for the Baptist church for a number of years now. There only other location is off I-35 in Edmond. https://coulterexpress.com

HTeaO - A building permit was approved in May for the new to Oklahoma franchise. This will be one of their first stores in the state and will be located on the site of the old Manhattan Cleaners. It's a really interesting concept and I'm excited to see how it goes. All you iced tea drinkers can rejoice! https://www.hteao.com/

Offices on May - These will replace the old car wash that was next to the Dollar General on May. Two buildings, two stories each.

Offices on Hefner - These are being built on Hefner Rd. adjacent to the Chabad Jewish Community Center. Two buildings, two stories each.

Braums - Not new, but construction has finally started!

Old Circle K at May/Britton - The rumor mill is still well at work on this site. I've heard a couple of things but nothing official has come through. So stay tuned!

INFRASTRUCTURE PROJECTS

The council approved several projects in the city's capital budget and we will also begin the final round of 2018 GO Bond improvements this fall. The types of projects included in all of this are street resurfacing, sidewalk installation, drainage improvements, new and upgraded signalization projects (mainly May/Lakeside and Britton/Penn) and park improvements. Way too many things to list, but here's a map where I'm trying to track all of it. Anything in orange is slated to be completed this fiscal year. https://bit.ly/2U4UZZN

I try to get over here and post updates as I can. If you'd like a more regular update of what is going on, please go follow my page on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/councilmembersonnywilkinson/
    Thanks, swilki! Your Facebook has been great for updates. Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    I hear retail (cell phone) at Britton and May. Anything but another payday lender at that intersection.
    Payday lenders can't operate in The Village per our zoning. The existing one is grandfathered in.

Good to see something like HTeaO heading into Oklahoma. In Amarillo, we have HTeaO, Water Still, and Texas Tea. They all offer pretty much the same type of merchandise and concept, but each has their own local following. I've been saying something like this would bank in OKC for years, so I'm glad it's happening.

Has the HTeaO opened yet?

It hasn't but they seem to be pretty far along.

I was trying to find this page but was looking in the wrong thread. Mods should consider moving to.

Anyhow, I came across a proposed bike path soon to be underway and saw some pretty funny concerns:

“ Many residents of the Hawthorn neighborhood say bringing bikes through their neighborhood would be dangerous”

“ “Bicycles and people do not mix,” said Stephen Melsh, who lives on Hawthorn Dr. The proposed bike path goes right behind his house.”

https://kfor.com/news/proposed-bike-...s-controversy/

That Hawthorn development is this area that replaced some skanky apartments located west of Pennsylvania behind the Village library. It was somehow marketed as a place for older, divorced (more than widowed) expatriates of Nichols Hills and (even) Gaillardia. It is an odd place where old people parachute in and NIMBY like Edmond.

Our mayor announced May and Britton would have a Scooter's Coffee instead of a cell phone shop, so that's some good news.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    Our mayor announced May and Britton would have a Scooter's Coffee instead of a cell phone shop, so that's some good news.
    I have no idea how they decide how close to put their locations, but there is a Scooter's exactly 2 miles north at May and 122nd.

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    I have no idea how they decide how close to put their locations, but there is a Scooter's exactly 2 miles north at May and 122nd.
    Yeah but there will also be 2 Starbucks a mile from each other near Memorial, so the coffee business must be booming these days.

This is hilarious but sad at the same time:

https://twitter.com/rdfogle/status/1...226953735?s=21

HangryHippo Guest

Jesus. I’m embarrassed for them.

Lol I’m just sitting here with an evil grin ready to go on my crime spree once I have bicycle access via a dedicated path

21. Default Re: Village OK Happenings

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Lol I’m just sitting here with an evil grin ready to go on my crime spree once I have bicycle access via a dedicated path
    First it's bikers you don't know. Next thing it will be roving bands of lesbians!

Gawd, tell me you’re an Okie without telling me you’re an Okie

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    First it's bikers you don't know. Next thing it will be roving bands of lesbians!
    Suddenly I’m intrigued with installing bike paths through my neighborhood.

Me and all my homies commit our crimes while riding on the 10ft bike path.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    This is hilarious but sad at the same time:

https://twitter.com/rdfogle/status/1...226953735?s=21
    This is not new news. I heard about this on KFOR over a month ago.
    https://kfor.com/news/proposed-bike-...s-controversy/

You have to laugh at this:

“Bicycles and people do not mix,” said Stephen Melsh, who lives on Hawthorn Dr. The proposed bike path goes right behind his house.

Thread Information