Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deckle Smokehouse BBQ

Edmond Deckle Smokehouse BBQ

My son told me about this place and after seeing the picture of the brisket on their website I was reluctant to try it. Well, he brought me some takeout from the place and I just had to try it and was very pleasantly surprised.

The brisket was fantastic, I would probably place it above Texlahoma which was my favorite before this. The ribs were good but I will have to try them again and have a few more than what I had tonight to give them a ringing endorsement, the texture was great but not sure of the rub.

The German sausage was definitely different.

https://decklesmokehousebbq.com/where-we-are

WOW I need more brisket.!.

Default Re: Deckle Smokehouse BBQ

Interesting website on the "who we are" page. Talks about the recipes used in the whitehouse and eludes to their usage but doesn't say they are using them. Talks about texas open pit bbq but doesn't really say that is their style, Talks about how BBQ places are closed on Sunday and only serve until out of meat but they are open Sunday and have regular hours. Basically the who we are is not who they are but what real texas places are.

https://decklesmokehousebbq.com/who-we-are

3. Default Re: Deckle Smokehouse BBQ

Interesting name... The deckle is another name for the point of the brisket but it's a seldom used term and even a lot of BBQ "experts" out there wouldn't know it.

I remember the 2nd or 3rd time I went to Butcher BBQ Stand. Levi leaned out the window and asked if I wanted some slices from the deckle to test my BBQ knowledge... I think my quick response impressed him because the slices I got were some fine pieces of fatty brisket.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Interesting name... The deckle is another name for the point of the brisket but it's a seldom used term and even a lot of BBQ "experts" out there wouldn't know it.

I remember the 2nd or 3rd time I went to Butcher BBQ Stand. Levi leaned out the window and asked if I wanted some slices from the deckle to test my BBQ knowledge... I think my quick response impressed him because the slices I got were some fine pieces of fatty brisket.
    Good catch. I know what deckle is but did not pick up on that in the name. Didn't realize seldom used but thinking about it, I only see it used in the different smoke forums I follow.

5. Default Re: Deckle Smokehouse BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Good catch. I know what deckle is but did not pick up on that in the name. Didn't realize seldom used but thinking about it, I only see it used in the different smoke forums I follow.
    Yeah... Walk in some place like Swadley's, Rib Crib, or Earl's and ask for a slice of deckle and they'll probably tell you they don't serve that.... For that matter most places in Oklahoma won't know what you are talking about if you ask for moist brisket. They will tell you all their brisket is moist.

Butcher's, Texlahoma, Maple's and probably this place are a handful that I can name that would know what you were asking for if you ordered moist brisket.

Yeah... Walk in some place like Swadley's, Rib Crib, or Earl's and ask for a slice of deckle and they'll probably tell you they don't serve that.... For that matter most places in Oklahoma won't know what you are talking about if you ask for moist brisket. They will tell you all their brisket is moist.

Butcher's, Texlahoma, Maple's and probably this place are a handful that I can name that would know what you were asking for if you ordered moist brisket.
    Rudy's has it on their menu as moist and lean with the moist being more expensive. Curious though...I have never heard your thoughts on Rudy's as far as BBQ.

See, now I'm going to drop this and somebody is going to go over my head immediately.

8. Default Re: Deckle Smokehouse BBQ

Rudy's has it on their menu as moist and lean with the moist being more expensive. Curious though...I have never heard your thoughts on Rudy's as far as BBQ.
    It's not terrible but not good enough to get me to drive north side or to Norman for it.

I've never been shy about my dislike of chain BBQ options either. So if I'm headed to Norman. I'm picking Ray's Smokehouse over Rudy's every time.

Interesting website on the "who we are" page. Talks about the recipes used in the whitehouse and eludes to their usage but doesn't say they are using them. Talks about texas open pit bbq but doesn't really say that is their style, Talks about how BBQ places are closed on Sunday and only serve until out of meat but they are open Sunday and have regular hours. Basically the who we are is not who they are put what real texas places are.

...not only that, they show a picture of meats being grilled, not smoked.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    ...not only that, they show a picture of meats being grilled, not smoked.
    The first picture is a stock photo, the others probably are as well.

Quote Originally Posted by marky_d View Post
    The first picture is a stock photo, the others probably are as well.
    say it ain't so!

Definitely enjoyed this place. As someone previously mentioned (the german sausage) I was going to skip it but he wanted to make sure I tried some first. It actually worked really well on the two meat sandwich with the brisket. He said they're getting quite a few that go for the full four meat sandwich which is apparently a monster. The green beans have smoked bacon in them and that flavor actually absorbs into the green beans themselves which was A+.

13. Default Re: Deckle Smokehouse BBQ

Intrigued by the German Sausage... There was a place in Ardmore serving a German Sausage that was really good and like none I had ever had before... Unfortunately the chains have put all the original mom & pop BBQ's in Ardmore out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    say it ain't so!
    lol

Interesting website on the "who we are" page. Talks about the recipes used in the whitehouse and eludes to their usage but doesn't say they are using them. Talks about texas open pit bbq but doesn't really say that is their style, Talks about how BBQ places are closed on Sunday and only serve until out of meat but they are open Sunday and have regular hours. Basically the who we are is not who they are but what real texas places are.

Most of those paragraphs can be found verbatim on this Wikipedia article.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbecue_in_Texas

We tried this place last week. We both had a brisket sandwich and we really enjoyed it. I can’t stand fatty brisket, so I requested it lean, which is what I got. I was impressed that even though it was really lean, it was still moist. Not everyone manages to do that. It was a bit interesting though, the sandwich was not served on a bun. It was on Texas toast. Never had that before. We split an order of fries and beans are complementary. We will definitely go back.

17. Default Re: Deckle Smokehouse BBQ

Made it by there today and tried the beef short rib and German Sausage.... Wanted to try more but someone else was buying and the beef ribs aren't cheap.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3907.JPG 
Views:	175 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	14762 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3909.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	14763

I'll put the beef rib up there with some of the best I've had in Texas and made at home myself... Others with me were raving about the brisket and it looked really good but I did not get to try it.... German sausage appeared to be house made and was really good too.... Everyone agreed we would be making the 30 minute drive up there for lunch again.

Now with that said.... We may need a Lip Smackers style campaign for this place because for lunch they had 6 people and 4 of those were my crew. It would really be a shame to see a place serving up BBQ like what I ate today disappear for good.

Made it by there today and tried the beef short rib and German Sausage.... Wanted to try more but someone else was buying and the beef ribs aren't cheap.

I'll put the beef rib up there with some of the best I've had in Texas and made at home myself... Others with me were raving about the brisket and it looked really good but I did not get to try it.... German sausage appeared to be house made and was really good too.... Everyone agreed we would be making the 30 minute drive up there for lunch again.

Now with that said.... We may need a Lip Smackers style campaign for this place because for lunch they had 6 people and 4 of those were my crew. It would really be a shame to see a place serving up BBQ like what I ate today disappear for good.
    This is in OK, right? Your word is good enough for me, but if it's the best you've had in TX I may be awhile.

19. Default Re: Deckle Smokehouse BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    This is in OK, right? Your word is good enough for me, but if it's the best you've had in TX I may be awhile.
    He puts it up there with some of the best in TX, he said.

20. Default Re: Deckle Smokehouse BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    It is Central Texas style BBQ in Edmond Oklahoma..... Their pitmaster nailed that beef rib and they gave me a sample of it and the sausage before I even ordered it.

Man that rib looks so damn good, know what I am having for lunch tomorrow

It would really be a shame to see a place serving up BBQ like what I ate today disappear for good.
    So glad you liked it, that was my hope when I first posted this. Your endorsement of this place should help his business.

I'll check it out soon.

23. Default Re: Deckle Smokehouse BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    Man that rib looks so damn good, know what I am having for lunch tomorrow.
    The rib was great!

They only have them Friday and Saturday for anyone else wanting to try them. Don't want anyone making a special trip up there for one.

I went with my family on Saturday and had the brisket sandwich and German sausage. Both were excellent. My son, who love bbq, thought it was one of the best pulled pork and German sausage he had ever had.

Similar to OK BBQ Eater Anonymous experience, a few customers were leaving as we came in but we were the only customers in the restaurant when we were eating. I really hope their business picks up.

I noticed they have posted hours instead of the we are open till we sell out business model. Is this accurate?

Thread Information