Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deckle Smokehouse BBQ

Default Re: Deckle Smokehouse BBQ

Went last weekend. I had a pulled pork sandwich, family had brisket sandwiches. Theirs were much better than mine. Pork was sitting in water and even though he drained it, the bread was soaked because the meat was still saturated. Okra was different but I liked it. Owner is very nice, offered my kids some ice cream when we finished.

ok. so i am going tomorrow to try this out. sounds like i need to try the brisket and German sausage... any other thoughts or suggestions?

3. Default Re: Deckle Smokehouse BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    ok. so i am going tomorrow to try this out. sounds like i need to try the brisket and German sausage... any other thoughts or suggestions?
    The beef rib.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    The beef rib.
    thank you sir. any recommendation for sides? might do the beef rib and try sausage, and then get a side

More beef rib.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    thank you sir. any recommendation for sides? might do the beef rib and try sausage, and then get a side
    They will give you a sample of any other meats if you ask. The beans (which are free in a crockpot off to the side) are really good - pieces of meat in pinto beans.

7. Default Re: Deckle Smokehouse BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by OkieHornet View Post
    The beans (which are free in a crockpot off to the side) are really good - pieces of meat in pinto beans.
    The green beans had almost as much brisket in them as an order of brisket.... Side item though. Not complimentary like the pinto beans.

I enjoyed the jalapenos, if you're into spicy.

This place may start to get busier:

https://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/p...nt?oid=4215641

I was there for that one challenger!

Is this in the old City Bites place?? Can't get a good view on Google Streetview, I am thinking of trying this today for lunch.

12. Default Re: Deckle Smokehouse BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Is this in the old City Bites place?? Can't get a good view on Google Streetview, I am thinking of trying this today for lunch.
    Yes... I believe it was City Bites at one time.

so was there for lunch. i ended up doing brisket and german sausage, had a friend get pulled pork, and a friend get turkey... all were good, but in my opinion the sausage was the star of those options. i'm going to get the ribs next friday.

also, got sides of the potato cheese bombs, and fried mac and cheese. i would recommend the potatoes, the mac and cheese was just okay... but the honest star of the whole meal was the free pinto beans, they were amazing

I dont like waiting in line. I may have to stop praising this place.

Hitting them up on Friday night for the first time, wondering about a couple of things:

I was planning on getting 1/2 lb. of beef ribs to eat there, and 1/3 lb. of brisket to take home for another meal, along with a side of fried okra (taking some home for the 2nd meal). Wife is going to get 2/3 lb. of pulled pork, eat half there, take half home, along with the green apple coleslaw and green beans (taking some home for 2nd meal).

Haven't heard much about the okra - worth getting? Quantity of meat sound reasonable (for reference, neither of us eat 1/2 lb. burgers because that's generally too much meat at one time)?

I haven't had the okra, working my way through all the sides. WIth the ratios you gave it sounds like it should be reasonable for 2 meals.

i also have not had the Okra... only side i have had was the fried mac and cheese (which was only okay) and the complementary beans (which are amazing)

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Hitting them up on Friday night for the first time, wondering about a couple of things:

I was planning on getting 1/2 lb. of beef ribs to eat there, and 1/3 lb. of brisket to take home for another meal, along with a side of fried okra (taking some home for the 2nd meal). Wife is going to get 2/3 lb. of pulled pork, eat half there, take half home, along with the green apple coleslaw and green beans (taking some home for 2nd meal).

Haven't heard much about the okra - worth getting? Quantity of meat sound reasonable (for reference, neither of us eat 1/2 lb. burgers because that's generally too much meat at one time)?
    I'm not sure if you'll be able to order a 1/2 lb beef rib. Those things look pretty massive, but I could be mistaken.

I haven't had the okra either, but I'd say if you are planning on having it for the 2nd meal I don't think fried okra has a great shelf life. Usually only good right out of the fryer when its crunchy. Reheated it will get soggy.

19. Default Re: Deckle Smokehouse BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    I'm not sure if you'll be able to order a 1/2 lb beef rib. Those things look pretty massive, but I could be mistaken. .
    Correct... You can order ribs by number and then they weigh and charge by the pound.... Expect 1 rib to be between $25-$30

I've eaten one and it was worth the price.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Correct... You can order ribs by number and then they weigh and charge by the pound.... Expect 1 rib to be between $25-$30

I've eaten one and it was worth the price.
    Ah, OK, thought they had made it so you could get half-lbs of ribs, guess I read wrong. So out of one rib, how much actual meat is there? Only had beef ribs once or twice, long long ago, and didn't weigh them or calculate the meat-bone ratio...

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Ah, OK, thought they had made it so you could get half-lbs of ribs, guess I read wrong. So out of one rib, how much actual meat is there? Only had beef ribs once or twice, long long ago, and didn't weigh them or calculate the meat-bone ratio...
    They sell by half pound as of about 2 months ago. You read correctly.

Sorry this is kind of off topic, but Texlahoma BBQ has started to sell a full 3-4 bone rack of Wagyu beef ribs if you order 24 hours ahead of time. They shared a picture of of them and it looks like some absolutely divine bovine.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    They sell by half pound as of about 2 months ago. You read correctly.
    Cool, I'd be fine with a whole Flintstones rib, but this just makes it easier to try more things if I don't have to have as much meat...

And it turns out I got about $13 worth of rib. Pretty good, but not great, it was part of the last 3 he had, he said, that might be why. Pulled pork was weird, tried it, didn't get any, was sitting in water and had a soggy texture and not a great taste. Ended up with about a lb. total of "marbled" brisket between us (1/3 lb. for her there, the rest for a 2nd meal for both of us at home), which was good.

Only side we had that was good was the green apple coleslaw. Green beans were just green beans (very little bacon or bacon taste), okra was very small and fried to hell, too crispy and not enough actual okra (wasn't the standard frozen kind that's so ubiquitous, though, so points for that), brown sugar corn (wife tried a bite of someone else's) was too sweet, and the magnificent beans just weren't - too much celery salt (or celery, which I don't believe I've ever had in beans and it doesn't taste like it belongs there), and they were so thick I could've used them for spackle, and the fries were way over-seasoned (very crispy, though, I'll give him that).

All in all, not for us, which is fine 'cos it's a pain to get to from Venice.

Pork rib recipe has changed, and supposedly gets liquor/beer license next week.

Thread Information