Widgets Magazine

Thread: ATV's on Streets

Default ATV's on Streets

I live in a gated neighborhood (private streets), we have a neighbor who allows his sons to ride atvs around the neighborhood. This isn't the casual trip to a friends house. This is lap after lap for hours. Its not quiet, constantly blipping throttle, poping wheelies and disobeying traffic signs.
    Is there anything I can do? I have already spoken to the neighbor and he basically said F*** you. Also, an Oklahoma City police officer lives in the neighborhood and at some of our meetings he stated there wasn't anything that could be done. We are such a quiet hood with these few ruining for everyone.

Default Re: ATV's on Streets

Do you have a homeowners association?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, and they have asked them to stop. But for the most part there are no rules for ATV’s so they aren’t doing much.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Pete is on the right track. Look at the covenants and declarations on your HOA agreement. See if there is anything in it about nuisance

5. Default Re: ATV's on Streets

Oops, nm. Just saw "private streets." Carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Pete is on the right track. Look at the covenants and declarations on your HOA agreement. See if there is anything in it about nuisance
    Or even a step further - is there anything requiring vehicles to have mufflers or something to that effect!

I’ve delt with some nightmare HOA issues in the past. Most HOA covenant rules and restrictions have a clause pertainting to nuisance activities. If you pay dues, than keep putting pressure on your HOA officers. That’s what they were elected for.

The minute those kids happen to get in a wreck with a car (or some similar type of event occurs), they'll stop. The parents are apparently too dense to consider that this could happen and they'd be faced with a lawsuit.

I'll leave it a that.

9. Default Re: ATV's on Streets

I don't know about Oklahoma, but I do know other states have limited enforcement abilities on private roads; such as impaired or reckless driving. Some states even allow for speed enforcement on private roads in neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I don't know about Oklahoma, but I do know other states have limited enforcement abilities on private roads; such as impaired or reckless driving. Some states even allow for speed enforcement on private roads in neighborhoods.

Not Oklahoma for the most part. Traffic code is applicable to public streets and public parking lots. I get a few cases dismissed each year where the probable cause for the stop was a traffic violation that occurred in a private parking lot or private street.

Title 47. Motor Vehicles
    Chapter 11 - Rules of the Road
    Article Article 1 - Obedience to and Effect of Traffic Laws
    Section 11-101 - Provisions of Chapter Refer to Vehicles Upon the Highways - Exceptions
    Cite as: O.S. §, __ __

The provisions of this chapter relating to the operation of vehicles refer exclusively to the operation of vehicles upon the highways except:

1. Where a different place is specifically referred to in a given section.

2. The provisions of Chapter 10 of this title and Article IX of this chapter shall apply upon highways, turnpikes and public parking lots throughout the state.

3. Unless otherwise provided for by law, the general provisions of this title regulating traffic on public highways shall apply on turnpikes.

Just last week in our neighborhood (public streets) a golf cart with probably 6 teenage girls was circling the neighborhood as we took our evening walk. They were playing music and it looked like they were having a ball. Part of me was thinking about how cool that'd be for our daughter to do when she gets a little older. Then the mommy part of me thought about how it was almost completely dark outside, and how people drive too fast down residential streets, and how nobody was wearing a seat belt, and the idea was quickly abandoned.

Last night we were walking near Plaza Court and saw what we think was an ATV with four adult guys in it on the public streets. That one might've been some sort of special thing, though, like those gigantic motorcycle-things with three wheels. It could've perhaps been a 4-wheel version of something that's street-legal.

We live in Newcastle. Our property is 5 acres and the 3 properties beside us are a 5 acre lot split into 3 lots, a house on each. The south house has 4 dogs that go with the owner(s) for long walks, unleashed. They don't pick up after the dogs. I run over it when I mow. The middle house has a large workshop building, probably 40x60, and runs a business working on race cars and making bumpers for the race cars. He has 2 large trailers which, of course, sit right on the fence line between us (barbed wire fence so we can see it all, oh yea!). He has 3 dismantled race cars behind the building that he hides from having to look at them from the house or to hide from the street, probably about 50/50. City ordinance says dismantled cars are not allowed. We have complained to city hall as there is an ordinance about running a business from your home. He sells the parts, so the city, even if it were legal, should get tax profits from his sales, but it isn't allowed. The city attorney has supposedly sent a cease and desist letter to him. I know this because I got the middle finger shortly after the city manager told me they were sending it. I have tried e-mailing the city for status updates, to no avail. So, in the meantime, the neighbor is working at night in the building (we see the lights through the skylights on his building and can hear him banging, sawing, etc) and laying low. At least lately we haven't heard the roar of the race cars. And are they loud. He also used to test drive them in our neighborhood. That has stopped. At least for now. Then, last but not least, the third house. They have a teenage daughter that rides a 4 wheeler just about every night, around and around and around 1 1/2 acres. Not that much area due to the 4 buildings, carport, trees, etc. She has worn out the grass. Her father "mows" the lawn, more like the dirt since the grass is worn down. Dust clouds fly when he "mows". These people also have 5 dogs: 4 large and 1 small. The small one gets through the fence and comes to our property to do its business in the mornings. The larger dogs can't get through the fence, but they bark within their small enclosure at every sound and movement.
    So, when we're outside, which is often, we get to hear dogs barking constantly and an ATV right next door running all evening. We are zoned agricultural, they are zoned residential due to the splitting up of the 5 acres.
    We have given up and are trying not to let it bother us. Maybe the city will finally enforce the city ordinances. Maybe they won't. We are not holding our breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharona21 View Post
    We live in Newcastle. Our property is 5 acres and the 3 properties beside us are a 5 acre lot split into 3 lots, a house on each. The south house has 4 dogs that go with the owner(s) for long walks, unleashed. They don't pick up after the dogs. I run over it when I mow. The middle house has a large workshop building, probably 40x60, and runs a business working on race cars and making bumpers for the race cars. He has 2 large trailers which, of course, sit right on the fence line between us (barbed wire fence so we can see it all, oh yea!). He has 3 dismantled race cars behind the building that he hides from having to look at them from the house or to hide from the street, probably about 50/50. City ordinance says dismantled cars are not allowed. We have complained to city hall as there is an ordinance about running a business from your home. He sells the parts, so the city, even if it were legal, should get tax profits from his sales, but it isn't allowed. The city attorney has supposedly sent a cease and desist letter to him. I know this because I got the middle finger shortly after the city manager told me they were sending it. I have tried e-mailing the city for status updates, to no avail. So, in the meantime, the neighbor is working at night in the building (we see the lights through the skylights on his building and can hear him banging, sawing, etc) and laying low. At least lately we haven't heard the roar of the race cars. And are they loud. He also used to test drive them in our neighborhood. That has stopped. At least for now. Then, last but not least, the third house. They have a teenage daughter that rides a 4 wheeler just about every night, around and around and around 1 1/2 acres. Not that much area due to the 4 buildings, carport, trees, etc. She has worn out the grass. Her father "mows" the lawn, more like the dirt since the grass is worn down. Dust clouds fly when he "mows". These people also have 5 dogs: 4 large and 1 small. The small one gets through the fence and comes to our property to do its business in the mornings. The larger dogs can't get through the fence, but they bark within their small enclosure at every sound and movement.
    So, when we're outside, which is often, we get to hear dogs barking constantly and an ATV right next door running all evening. We are zoned agricultural, they are zoned residential due to the splitting up of the 5 acres.
    We have given up and are trying not to let it bother us. Maybe the city will finally enforce the city ordinances. Maybe they won't. We are not holding our breath.
    As Seinfeld once said, "People...they're the worst."

Yep. This is a pretty big problem in Rose Creek. Everyone has stopped golfing for the most part, but their teenage kids promenade throughout the neighborhood on tricked out golf carts, with stereos blaring and spinners a-spinning. So dangerous, but even I'll admit that it looks fun.

Not sure how true this is but I was selling a Rzr XP for my parents and the guy that bought it said he would be making it street legal. I was curious about this so I asked him and he said he would need to put rear view mirror, blinkers, windshield, and horn and then register it. He told me he's done this before and the only stipulation was it could only be driven on non-highways with speed limit of 45mph or less. The guy lived in outside of Piedmont, and said he's been doing it for a few years.

I've never heard of this, anyone else have any info? I got a few friends that would register them in a minute if this is true.

Yes, this can be done. Scooters, mini trucks, vehicles built from kits, or parts combined from different vehicles, dirt bikes converted to street bikes, custom cars.... basically anything you want to put on the road that can pass regulations and DPS inspection. The same way someone can build a huge V-8 powerd shopping cart and drive it on the street. The most they can say is no.

17. Default Re: ATV's on Streets

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Not sure how true this is but I was selling a Rzr XP for my parents and the guy that bought it said he would be making it street legal. I was curious about this so I asked him and he said he would need to put rear view mirror, blinkers, windshield, and horn and then register it. He told me he's done this before and the only stipulation was it could only be driven on non-highways with speed limit of 45mph or less. The guy lived in outside of Piedmont, and said he's been doing it for a few years.

I've never heard of this, anyone else have any info? I got a few friends that would register them in a minute if this is true.
    Not too difficult - especially if you are persistent and knowledgable. I bought an electric vehicle (Roadrunner Galaxie - see video of my wife driving it below) some time ago that was taggable (sp) in Texas but the owner claimed he'd tried for a few years and couldn't get it tagged in Oklahoma. After much wrangling with the Motor Vehicle Division of the Oklahoma Tax Commission I finally was able to get an Oklahoma tag - which tripled the vehicle's value.

I have a neighbor that has a dune buggy (sandrail basically) that he was able to get a tag on it after some modifications.

That's interesting. I guess I'm surprised if it's that easy why you don't see them on the streets. I've never seen a Rzr or Ranger on the roads around here.

19. Default Re: ATV's on Streets

That's interesting. I guess I'm surprised if it's that easy why you don't see them on the streets. I've never seen a Rzr or Ranger on the roads around here.

My understanding - and I could be wrong here - is that if it was built to go on the road originally (like my Roadrunner is) or if it utilizes a motor/transmission that came from a vehicle that was meant to be tagged (like a custom built dune buggy/sandrail) then it's just a matter of paperwork and some finesse to get a tag.

My Roadrunner was originally made to go on the road, but does not meet current safety standards and had no VIN that we could find. The tax commission had to assign a VIN number to it and basically treat it like an antique car that doesn't have current safety features. I think it's considered an electric motorcycle or moped with the tax commission. I'm limited on the types of streets I can take it on.

The neighbor's dune buggy utilized a motor and transmission from previously registered vehicles and I think had lights added to it.

Rzr's and Rangers are in a different category from the moment they are built is my understanding.

That said, several neighbors in our neighborhood have golf carts and Rangers and RZr's and they drive them on our neighborhood streets all the time. The police have never messed with them. I'm told they only intervene if a person is operating it dangerously, taking it out of the neighborhood or in response to phoned in complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    My understanding - and I could be wrong here - is that if it was built to go on the road originally (like my Roadrunner is) or if it utilizes a motor/transmission that came from a vehicle that was meant to be tagged (like a custom built dune buggy/sandrail) then it's just a matter of paperwork and some finesse to get a tag.

My Roadrunner was originally made to go on the road, but does not meet current safety standards and had no VIN that we could find. The tax commission had to assign a VIN number to it and basically treat it like an antique car that doesn't have current safety features. I think it's considered an electric motorcycle or moped with the tax commission. I'm limited on the types of streets I can take it on.

The neighbor's dune buggy utilized a motor and transmission from previously registered vehicles.

Rzr's and Rangers are in a different category is my understanding.
    Yeah but my comment was for a Rzr, the guy that bought it said he would be adding those things to make it street legal. Said he had 2 others that were already like this. He didn't seem to be someone just blowing smoke, so I'm curious what the process of taking a Rzr or Ranger and making it street legal. From what I've read are those with a steering wheel and can sit 2 or more people are considered a UTV and classified the same as a golf cart.

21. Default Re: ATV's on Streets

Yeah but my comment was for a Rzr, the guy that bought it said he would be adding those things to make it street legal. Said he had 2 others that were already like this. He didn't seem to be someone just blowing smoke, so I'm curious what the process of taking a Rzr or Ranger and making it street legal. From what I've read are those with a steering wheel and can sit 2 or more people are considered a UTV and classified the same as a golf cart.
    I know when we went to Jones Offroad to look at some new Rzr's we asked if they had a street legal version and they said "no" and even commented that you cannot get a street tag for them. But I don't know how they came about that info.

That being said, when you Google it, there are plenty of videos of 'street legal' ones on the road. Could vary state to state.

22. Default Re: ATV's on Streets

Interesting discussion on the topic of street legal RZr's.....

https://www.rzrforums.net/rzr-xp-900...gal-xp-ok.html

Thread Information