Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Social Capital OKC

Default Re: Social Capital OKC

I think he is confusing this with the Collective.

But I am sure people will park all along the park and also 5th street. I would not be surprised if people park in that dirt lot next door where they currently have the construction material staged.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post

But I am sure people will park all along the park and also 5th street. I would not be surprised if people park in that dirt lot next door where they currently have the construction material staged.
    I figured. Lol. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't confused.

I was just wondering if there was going to be a small lot of some sort. Park parking is going to be hard to come by I'm sure especially on weekends . How safe is it going to be parking along those side streets at night?

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    I was just wondering if there was going to be a small lot of some sort. Park parking is going to be hard to come by I'm sure especially on weekends . How safe is it going to be parking along those side streets at night?
    Well when going to the Cotton Bowl in years past for concerts you could safely park on one of the side streets as long as you purchased "insurance". I'm betting similar services will pop up.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    My bad. Yes i got confused. Had a ton of tabs open!

Besides street parking there is the huge lot one and a half blocks north and there will be a nearly 1000 space garage three blocks to the east.

^

And a massive surface lot south of the convention center and on the other side of the park.

^^^ Be careful suggesting people walk more than 30 feet in OKC; you might start a riot.

The streetcar will drop you off within a 5 min walk to the front door. No need to park anywhere near the park or Social Capital.

Seriously, there's like 5 parking garages around Main Street. And those are all a maximum of about an 8 minute walk to the Core 2 Shore area. If that. The last thing this area needs is parking. Leave parking in the Parking Garage District.

You's know, being the Executive director of the OKC PGD!

Hopefully there will be good handicap parking access to this and to the new park. For those able to walk, it's super-easy and there are many alternatives. However, for people with physical challenges and limitations, sometimes just walking across the street can be a major endeavor. Five blocks to some wouldn't even be an option. This is one of those things I never thought about until a couple of years ago when I had a temporary disability for several months. It was a real eye-opener, and now I'm much more sensitive to accessibility concerns.

^^absolutley there should be ADA accessible parking spots and loading zones all over the city. Paradoxically, the more general parking there is. the further things are spread apart creating more difficult access for folks with mobility differences.

There are quite a few handicap spaces along Hudson.

This place is going to be wildly popular, even with all the strong competition. It offers something unique that others can't touch.

The space is gorgeous! Hopefully it'll encourage rapid development of the surrounding areas. So much potential!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There are quite a few handicap spaces along Hudson.

This place is going to be wildly popular, even with all the strong competition. It offers something unique that others can't touch.
    Think it can be successful without an attached Parking Garage? Idk. It'll be tough.

Apart from the parking -- which is not going to be a problem -- Scissortail Park will be a huge bike and pedestrian corridor, connecting the urban core to the river trails and beyond.

I guarantee you this place will become a social hub (Social Capital??) for cyclists and runners.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Apart from the parking -- which is not going to be a problem -- Scissortail Park will be a huge bike and pedestrian corridor, connecting the urban core to the river trails and beyond.

I guarantee you this place will become a social hub (Social Capital??) for cyclists and runners.
    So you're saying we need a bicycle parking garage? Like, were people park their Jeeps and Subarus and what not that are hauling their bikes? That's makes a ton of sense. Maybe have the first few levels dedicated to bike racks only, then the upper levels for the cars, and make sure there some easy way down for the bicycles.

Just good bike racks at the locations will do.

As someone with a couple of nice bikes I can tell you that cyclist like to be able to see their bike when they make a pit stop.

I ran around the park last night to check out the progress. I noticed Social Capital was having a soft opening event. Any worries about parking are tremendously overblown. They have their own lot on the south side and the park itself has many parking spaces available just across the street. I noticed people on the balcony looking at the park. I bet this place is going to be very popular.

Ohhh I wonder when the actual opening will be.. I can't wait to try it. I think it will kill it for sure.. drinks on balcony in my future!

From Sunday:

Great pics Pete!.. that place is so well done! Impressed

Even just driving by on Hudson, it is so impressive. Only wish is that the power lines on Hudson had been buried, but oh well.

September 20th

Thread Information