Asian District Golden Phoenix

2728 N. Classen Blvd.

Information & Latest News

Links

County Assessor Record
    Gallery

Default Re: Golden Phoenix fire - Asian District

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I didn't see any threads about this, but a few weeks ago, the Golden Phoenix building in the Asian District suffered some major damage. I took pics last week and they were buried in my photo link I posted in my photo thread. I thought this topic deserved it's own thread. Does anyone know if they will rebuild or will this soon be another vacant lot?
    I was wondering what had happened. I hope they recover and get open soon. I love that place!

Wow.. didn't another building which was fairly run down also recently burn in that area? Something in the water?

I saw that on TV when it was on fire. I hope they rebuild. Didn't eat there often but it was good and the restaurant was busy when I did.

Well, obviously it was too close to the property line to even stand a chance of not erupting in flames...

6. Default Re: Golden Phoenix fire - Asian District

sorry to hear about the fire and damage, but I hope this time - if/when they rebuild, that they do it right and get rid of the parking in front. ....

Start a trend to urbanize the Asian District, and use true asian facades????

turn a negative into something much more positive (and put pressure on everybody else in the district).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Urban Design Certificate of Approval to rebuild will be issued today (Administrative Approval).

^^^
    Hotrod, is that what you had in mind?

Those renderings look like something you'd see in Edmond or on Memorial Road. I'm very disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by citizenkane View Post
    Those renderings look like something you'd see in Edmond or on Memorial Road. I'm very disappointed.
    Maybe they're going for the modern China "look" instead of traditional. LOL

I'm not sure if at rendering is still true. Driving by, it appears they have been repairing the clay tile roof and patching the stucco. If they were sticking to that rendering, why bother with said repairs.

Is anyone surprised?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I'm not sure if at rendering is still true. Driving by, it appears they have been repairing the clay tile roof and patching the stucco. If they were sticking to that rendering, why bother with said repairs.
    Any chance the patches are simply temporary 'bandages' to help seal the place up after the fire? I heard it burned but I haven't been around to see anything at the site since it did?

I believe the plan is to build the new exterior around the existing structure.

It's hard to tell from their design application but I believe the new facade will take the place of the parking on Classen and 27th, so all the parking will now be in the back.

The rebuilding is rapidly coming along now. The metal beams and the arch is in place. I will try to get pics this week.

From metro:

This structure has a very, very similar site plan to the Plaza Court in my opinion, particularly with the relationship of one row of angled parking combined with parallel parking serving as a buffer between the building and the street.

But it's interesting how it has far less of a presence compared to Plaza Court. That said, this is definitely an upgrade. Does anyone know at what point something may begin to happen up Classen on NW 30th?

I won't be too picky about the building design. I'm just glad one of our favorite restaurants will be reopening. Too bad that they had just spent the last half of last year remodeling and now have to do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    If this area is as successful as I think it will be in the next 10 years, that row of parking will be the spring 2018 project by Better Block OKC, converting that into sidewalk/public space. That building is just begging for lots of open space in front of it. A fountain or some other kind of artwork would be icing on the cake.
    I think you're right regarding this project, but I just don't have the same confidence about what the Asian District is doing. I have a lot of confidence about what could transpire there, but we'll see.

This project is shaping up to be a lot more aesthetically pleasing than indicated by the rendering. Even when you account for the grayscale to living color difference, what little we can see of the building materials and accents (looks like gray EIFS with white trim) is a fresher look than what I would have guessed from the renderings (maybe more of that awful tan). It looks like the stone accent columns and the "frieze" on the arch may be more of a slate as well?

The west side stone work is almost complete and this looks very nice, much improved.

It is a black and grey colored stone, like something you would see in Aspen, Co.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    The west side stone work is almost complete and this looks very nice, much improved.

It is a black and grey colored stone, like something you would see in Aspen, Co.
    I assume that would be in the Asian District in Aspen? LOL

We are looking forward to Chinatown reopening. We do much of our specialty shopping at Super Cao Nguyen but at the fish counter in Chinatown they will clean the fish and then fry it for us!! My wife picks out a couple of Golden Pompano for frying and then she makes a sweet & sour sauce, all served over steamed rice. Now I'm hungry!

Not bad.

Default Re: Golden Phoenix

I've lived in OKC since 1997 and I've been eating in the Asian district on a regular basis for much of that time and somehow I thought Golden Phoenix was a small (like one of those strip mall "Great Wall" places), hole-in-the-wall that did primarily take-out for BBQ'd meats. I had no idea it was a HUGE full service restaurant! A group of nine of us ate there yesterday and it was fantastic!! Easily the equal of Fung's Kitchen and Schezuan Bistro. Most of our dishes were hard-core Asian foods but there were enough native born Americans at the table that some of the more Americanized dishes were present as well. They easily have the best Orange Chicken I've eaten. Fried to absolute perfection. I told my wife I want just the two of us to go back so I can try a few more things I had my eye on.

Thread Information